Scary ATC Tape

:confused:

WTH... /shakes head.

Overall, glad that all went well...

And yeah, it was scary hearing the first 30sec of this ...

Last edited:
I've heard that - and yeah - the pilot really did lose it --- sheesh...

But hats off to the flight service peeps!

wow.... thats wild.. N9815L..... watch out for that guy.. Does anyone know what he was flying

Teerawood said:
wow.... thats wild.. N9815L..... watch out for that guy.. Does anyone know what he was flying

I looked up the aircraft n-number with the FAA and it is a 1986 C-172P owned by Westosha Flying Club out of Wilmot Wisconsin. Yep that guy sure did loose it. Hope I never meet up with him anywhere.

I wonder if the club operating this plane is aware of the situation. I also wonder (not to criticise, but for safety's sake), am I the only one who thinks this pilot needs remedial training? How to avoid IMC for one, and some hood work with unusual attitude recoveries plus how to perform controlled maneuvers in IMC? A bit of training on the futility of panic might be good as well....

Maverick said:
I'm still wondering how non instrument rated pilots end up in IMC in the first place.

How? That's easy! :D

1 - you don't get a weather breifing or

2 - you get a weather briefing and you don't pay attention to it and

3 - you don't pay attention to the REAL weather outside your window once you are up in the air and

4 - you don't keep yourself up to date with distant weather through the weather services in the air plus

5 - you are overconfident in your abilities to get out of IFR if you accidentally fly into it when

6 - you should have landed as soon as the weather started to look iffy. Anywhere. In a cow pasture if needs be.

PS: I hope that if I have to face hardship in flight I will have smidge more dignity than that guy.

Back