Scared the bejeepers outta me!

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
I'm sitting in my office hunched over my computer finishing up a few things and getting ready to pack it in for the day. As I stand up about to log out, a darned bird flushed up from in front of my desk and out the door he flew! A medium sized bird, larger than a sparrow but smaller than a chicken. Scared the living crap out of me! :hairraise: We get birds in our building frequently, usually through the loading docks downstairs and they get lost until they can find an open window or work themselves back to the loading docks, but that was the first time I ever had one in my office. I never saw him fly in.

smigaldi said:
I have had mice run accross my desk when I had an office accross from a farm field

My wife was sitting in her office (in an old home converted into offices for the park system where she works) when a 6-7 ft snake dropped from a ceiling HVAC vent onto her desk. I wasn't there to see the reaction but from what I've heard it was a heart stopping experience. I should add that while my wife is very comfortable with most outdoor experiences involving wild animals, she is paranoid about snakes and sufferes from occasional nightmares involving them (before this incident).

lancefisher said:
My wife was sitting in her office (in an old home converted into offices for the park system where she works) when a 6-7 ft snake dropped from a ceiling HVAC vent onto her desk. I wasn't there to see the reaction but from what I've heard it was a heart stopping experience. I should add that while my wife is very comfortable with most outdoor experiences involving wild animals, she is paranoid about snakes and sufferes from occasional nightmares involving them (before this incident).

Ick I hate the stuff dropping form the ceiling. When I lived in Florida I had a scorpion fall from the ceiling and land on my boot. Big jump and scream, I squished it then.

smigaldi said:
Ick I hate the stuff dropping form the ceiling. When I lived in Florida I had a scorpion fall from the ceiling and land on my boot. Big jump and scream, I squished it then.

Scorpion's scare the &^%$ out me more than snakes.

My father had a habit of laying on the floor in the living room on the nice thick carpet to watch TV when I was younger (teens). He hated the sofa mom picked out. Anyway, late one night it was just the two of us watching a movie. I was on the sofa, he was on the floor. When all of a sudden, without warning or any sound, he jumped up, started running around the room and proceeded to drop his pants right in front of me (not including his boxers thank goodness!:hairraise: ) I didn't know what the heck was happening. He had this look of horror on his face as he was jumping around and that scared the bejeepers out me more than anything.

Seems a scorpion had crawled up his pants leg while he was watching TV. He didn't get stung, but I can't imagine why not. It had made it up to just below the crotch before he managed to get his pants off. I've never seen him move so fast in my life! Pest control guy was there the next morning. :rofl:

heheheh . . . probably never saw him move that fast again, I bet!

There was a bunch of biology folks in the desert a few years back studying scorpions. They found that UV light makes the scorpions glow blue. The first night, after sitting around the campfire, drinking (I expect) they decided to get the light out and see if they could find themselves a scorpion in the camp. The damn things were EVERYwhere. Lots of boots getting put on, quickly. Lots of sleeping bags getting shaken out. Heheh.

Back