Say Request on IFR Handoff

jimhorner

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Horner
Had an interesting thing happen to me this weekend. I was given my IFR clearance on the ground at SJC. Launched and then was handed off to NorCal. Given a couple of vectors and climb instructions. Just a little North of Monterey, I was given a frequency change. This is how it went after I acknowledged and switched to the new frequency:

Me: NorCal, Bellanca eight niner Echo Lima, level 7000.
New NorCal controller: November eight niner Echo Lima, Say Request
(Say request? What the heck?)
Me: uuhh, I'm cleared IFR to Santa Paula, checking in.
NorCal: niner Echo Lima, Roger, Salinas altimeter ....

Just thought that was a bit strange that they asked me to say request. Never had that happen before. Did something go wrong in the handoff between controllers?

Should I have added the dreaded "With you"? ;)

Last edited:
Blonde moment for the controller...likely wishing he was out flying versus stuck in a darkened room

Knee jerk reaction to a call either she didn't hear, or she didn't know you were coming.

My guess.

Probably couldn't find your flight strip among the 3 dozen others. Don't blame them, they are humans just like us (pilots).
As long as you let them know you are IFR to destination and they find your strip, you're good.
No need for snide remarks "did yous pill coffee on my strip or sumtin?" :)

I've seen worse. IFR handoff from Albuquerque Center checking in with Phoenix Approach...."aircraft calling unable to provide VFR services, remain clear of the Phoenix Class Bravo"

Or taking off from KBJC in solid IMC. "I don't have any airplanes off Metro..."

Had an interesting thing happen to me this weekend. I was given my IFR clearance on the ground at SJC. Launched and then was handed off to NorCal. Given a couple of vectors and climb instructions. Just a little North of Monterey, I was given a frequency change. This is how it went after I acknowledged and switched to the new frequency:

Just thought that was a bit strange that they asked me to say request. Never had that happen before. Did something go wrong in the handoff between controllers?

Might justa been they didn't catch that you were flyin on through to SZP right away. They probably get a steady diet of folks coming that way to do practice approaches at MRY and SNS.

... (Say request? What the heck?) ...
Brain fart most likely, but you might also have been partially stepped on, she got the tail number but didn't recognize it as one she was expecting.

After receiving an IFR clearance, diverting from my originally-filed destination due to below-minimums weather, and spending two hours in the clouds since departure, a controller asked if I wanted IFR. I replied "I am IFR," and that took care of it.

Controllers are human,and can be subject to miscommunication at times. Grin and go with it,be thankful that the mistake was minor.

You didn't sound like an instrument pilot :)

I once was transferred from (probably back then, Dulles Approach) to Washington Center.

After several unanswered calls, I tried another radio and still nothing, I was about to go back to the previous freqnecy when one last try:

27K: Washingon Center, Navion 5327K
ZDC: Navion 5327K go ahead
27K: I was handed off to you.
ZDC: Oh. How are you?
27K: Fine thanks, how are you?

It was fairly late at night.

Sounds like my last IFR clearance out of Reid:

Squawk XXXX, San Jose Tower frequency 124.0, remain clear of Class C until in contact with San Jose Tower.

At least they said it to me during taxi instead of right before takeoff.

Or taking off from KBJC in solid IMC. "I don't have any airplanes off Metro..."
There are a couple of similar stories in the NASA ASRS database. At least one is from a tower controller who accidentally launched a plane that was IFR -- whom he mistakenly thought was VFR. Happens.

I've had "squwak 1200 frequency change approved" from a controller and had to respond with "ummm, I'm on an IFR flight plan and currently in IMC" :)

Controllers are human and have brain farts too.

Yup. Got the T shirt.
brain_fart_t_shirt-r961e3f8316a54444a12c4fcfc39b041c_jg4dk_512.jpg

29 bucks! I'll be passing lol. Buying the T-shirt that is... :D

The day I knew I'd make it as a pilot was when a new controller messed up and I realized they were human, too. The standard clearance at our Class Charlie is to maintain runway heading at or below 3000. As a student, I would read back maintain runway heading below 3000. A very nice controller got strict and it took me 3 read backs to get it right!
Control: Maintain runway heading at or below 3000
Me: Runway heading below 3000
Control: Maintain runway heading AT OR below 3000
Me: Yes sir. Runway heading. 3000 feet.
Control: AT. OR. BELOW 3000
Instructor: It's AT OR below 3000
Me: Does it make a difference?
Instructor: Yes. Yes it does.
Me: Maintain runway heading at or below 3000.
Control: Cleared to Taxi via Alpha.
About a month later...
New Controller: Maintain runway heading below 3000. I mean at 3000. No. 3000 or below. Cessna wait. <pause> Maintain runway heading AT. OR. below 3000.
Me: I know the feeling. You're doing great. Runway heading at or below 3000.
New Controller: Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back