Saw Doc Bruce today

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Flew to 3MY with copilot . Had the medical exam, lunch with a Doc and my co pilot. Flew home. Doc is looking good.

Flew to 3MY with copilot . Had the medical exam, lunch with a Doc and my co pilot. Flew home. Doc is looking good.

Did he "overcharge" you and feed you all kinds of BS about which side of the third class medical debate he is on?:rofl:

I'm headed there in May. Wish me luck!

He's worth every bit. It's nice to have no surprises, and know what to expect. A true professional and nice guy.

Excellent. Did he overcharge you and want you to do a colonoscopy and give you a drug test and send you to AA? No? Well, wonder of wonders.

Last edited:
Bruce is good people.

Excellent. Did he overcharge you and want you do do a colonoscopy and give you a drug test and send you to AA? No? Well, wonder of wonders.

Well seeing that your head is so far stuck up your ass you probably dont need a colonoscopy for yourself. Just take a look around. Look at what you just saved

Well seeing that your head is so far stuck up your ass you probably dont need a colonoscopy for yourself. Just take a look around. Look at what you just saved
I thought the post you were replying to was said "tongue in cheek".

Last edited:
Always enjoyed reading his posts. Thought he was a great help on this board.

I like Dr Chien. He is a good and professional doctor and a very knowledgeable AME and just an overall nice guy. Nobody that has ever met him and used his services talks bad about him.

Perhaps those that constantly snipe at him ought to take that into consideration - you're bashing a fictional character. It says much more about you than him.

I like Dr Chien. He is a good and professional doctor and a very knowledgeable AME and just an overall nice guy. Nobody that has ever met him and used his services talks bad about him.

Perhaps those that constantly snipe at him ought to take that into consideration - you're bashing a fictional character. It says much more about you than him.
I know all about the Dr. Bruce bashing that has occurred in the past, but who in this thread was bashing him?

Fictional character? :dunno:

The Dr. Bruce I knew was here giving outstanding medical advice until he let his ego get in the way and he left. If he truly cared about helping people (as many here believe) he would have put his ego aside and continued sharing his medical knowledge and expertize with POA members.

Last edited:

The Dr. Bruce I knew was here giving outstanding medical advice until he let his ego get in the way and he left. If he truly cared about helping people (as many here believe) he would have put his ego aside and continued sharing his medical knowledge with POA members.
And it might be that someone cares about helping others but ALSO has ego, or some other kind of personality, issues. And some of the comments made here by certain members... well, when persistently accused of a conflict of interest, I can see where even someone with the patience of a Mohandas Gandhi might take offense.

I've never had an FAA physical exam with Bruce, but have gotten advice from him several times via email, and met him in person several times too. In person he is a charming man with a wealth of wisdom, medical, flying, and otherwise.

As forum moderator he ranges from fair and civil to abrasive and rude, particularly when dealing with unregs, and even when there would seem to be no reason for it, e.g., someone just not grokking his sometimes cryptic replies and asking for clarification.

So not a fictional character, for sure, but not a fair and fully-flashed-out picture of Bruce the person, and certainly not a side of him that I or anyone I know has seen outside of cyberspace.

Wow. The good Dr. has been gone for some time, yet we almost always seem to have a thread going on about him and the medical questions forum is nothing but a "contact Dr. Bruce and only Dr. Bruce immediately" message on an endless loop. I hate to see anyone with an important set of skills leave, but it's a decision he has made and one he's obviously comfortable with.

Perhaps some here should consider petitioning him to return? At least that would be productive.

Bruce is one of the brightest guys I know, pretty spectacular given the company with which I hobnob.

e.g., someone just not grokking his sometimes cryptic replies and asking for clarification.

Bonus points for the R.A. Heinlein reference (a favorite author of mine).

I've met Bruce at Gastons 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed the event.

I thought the post you were replying to was said "tongue in cheek".
There's a distinct tendency to confuse "head up ass" with "tongue in cheek" on PoA. :wink2:

The Dr. Bruce I knew was here giving outstanding medical advice until he let his ego get in the way and he left. If he truly cared about helping people (as many here believe) he would have put his ego aside and continued sharing his medical knowledge and expertize with POA members.

I don't know the guy, nor have I dealt with him, but I don't see any reason to attack the guy. He probably knows a considerable amount of medical information than anyone else here. I don't mind his input, nor his ego... if he has one.

I never got a medical from him, but did have a visit, checked ot his Seneca and had dinner with him. He's a good, smart, and self effacing, guy. It was funny at dinner he told the P-3 icing story flying across the Pacific where he had to tell the Admiral to put on the gumby suit because they were likely going in the drink. At the end I asked him, "Why didn't you fly around the south side of the storm in warmer air and with a tail wind instead of a headwind?" and I could see in his eyes the immediate click of recognition of the oversight and him doing a mental face palm at himself for blindly following orders without questioning them.

That is where Bruce gets really annoyed with people, when they won't listen and accept the reality of their situation, because in aviation, it gets you killed. I keep trying to tell him not to worry about it, "You're not responsible for saving them from themselves, your just responsible for handing them the information to save themselves."

When you come through an industry where by the nature of the job you take full responsibility over other people's lives, it becomes difficult to separate yourself from that sense of duty in a non professional setting where your liability is removed. You just always think in that fashion out of habit, because in the professional setting, you always end up paying for the mistakes of others.

Bruce has trouble with that separation because he is just too nice of a guy. I on the other hand am not. When you come to me and say, "Hold my beer, watch this," I'll sidwand watch. If you kill yoursel, no worries, I won't let your beer go to waste.

Last edited:

He's just finally taking my advice. I told him to cut the baggage that annoys him, he's not responsible for it. When people constantly come up with the same stupidity, it makes it really exasperating for people who are trying to improve things. I doubt the SSRI SI would exist if it wasn't for his efforts promoting it from the inside. It sure wasn't AOPA, and Bruce made not one dime on the time and effort, he thought it was the right thing to do.

I would put the life track record and karma of Bruce up against anyone that's cutting him down, and I know exactly who will show as the better man.

Last edited:
As a pretty much full time AME Dr Bruce has to suffer fools (aka pilots facing medicals) all day long.

Maybe he doesn't want to put up with more of them here.

As a pretty much full time AME Dr Bruce has to suffer fools (aka pilots facing medicals) all day long.

Maybe he doesn't want to put up with more of them here.
I understand that, but is the Red Board any less foolish than here? (I don't follow the red board).

Perhaps some here should consider petitioning him to return? At least that would be productive.

I briefly talked to him. I don't think it would do any good. It was the POA boards loss because of a few jerks treating him like crap. You can talk about ego, thin skin whatever, but he always tried to help people. It doesn't affect me as he is always open to answer my emails- but his sage advice was given freely here, and others lost this valuable resource. Henning is right- he cut the baggage.

Did he "overcharge" you and feed you all kinds of BS about which side of the third class medical debate he is on?:rofl:

I'm headed there in May. Wish me luck!
What side of the debate is he on? I never quite figured it/him out..

He is a knowledgeable, honest, nice guy though.

I understand that, but is the Red Board any less foolish than here? (I don't follow the red board).

Not particularly. I think the main difference from his point of view is that on the red board, he has moderator privileges in the Medical Matters section.

I did invite him to Gaston's in October. So at least he knows he is welcome there.

On March 31 over on Red:

Originally Posted by Bruce Chien
I am so done with POA.....
You left out the context of the post in which he gave the advice being sought by the OP....

A member of both boards was telling Bruce about a medical certification question being posed here, and Bruce gave his professional advice on the red board to be passed on. THEN he made his comment about POA.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back