Satellite writing

cyclepro

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cyclepro
Hi, So im thinking of a way to ask my gf to prom and was going to try something like what Boeing did for the super bowl on a much smaller scale. I would like to spell out prom and have my gps show what i wrote. My question is what application would i be able to use to plot out gps coordinates to achieve such a thing.

Hi, So im thinking of a way to ask my gf to prom and was going to try something like what Boeing did for the super bowl on a much smaller scale. I would like to spell out prom and have my gps show what i wrote. My question is what application would i be able to use to plot out gps coordinates to achieve such a thing.

Photoshop.

Get a sectional and plot the co-ord's and hand fly the course..... get on Flight Following and let them trace your message,,;)

First question - will your gf appreciate it?

First question - will your gf appreciate it?
she would love it. its just a matter of actually doing it. im not planning to write over the whole state just a small area

she would love it. its just a matter of actually doing it. im not planning to write over the whole state just a small area

You can write " marry me" in about 2 miles x1 mile worth of airspace...;)

gpsvisualizer.com will take the track from your gps, and plot it on a map... in 3D if you want. But it might be easier to use one of the gps tracker apps on a smart phone.

I've seen Cloud Ahoy show something that looked suitable, if you're an iThingy person.

Your best bet would be using an iPad flying app that lets you rubberband a route, write what you want, and follow the route.

WingX will do all of that for you. Layout the route you want to fly to write your message. Make the flight with 'Logging' turned on. After the flight stop the logger then from the Route Planning screen, hit 'Google Earth' on the bottom right corner pop-up. It will display your flight in Google Earth. You can also go to the AvConnect section of the 'Database' page and e-mail yourself a copy of the flight information. Sounds like a fun thing to do. I'll have to do something like that myself one day.

Your too young to be setting the bar so high for a girl!!! She will always expect something equivalent or better. Save this plan for a marriage proposal.

Your too young to be setting the bar so high for a girl!!! She will always expect something equivalent or better. Save this plan for a marriage proposal.

This. Why not ditch prom take her flying instead.

This is a bit more difficult than it seems on the surface. I did a sample in WingX using my wife's name Anne. I mathematicaly figured the lat/long cordinates to use and created waypoints. I then created a route using the waypoints and used the simulator in WingX to fly the route while 'logging' the flight. The attached picture is the results exported to Google Earth. It would be cool to take her flying then show her the track afterwards. :)

Now the real question is, should I fly this route going home from work tomorrow afternoon or should I just show the simulated one I created to my wife and tell her I flew that for her? ;). :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
If you REALLY want to impress her, plot the track on Foreflight, get flight following, fly the route, and if you're lucky, your track will show up on Flightaware for all to see on the Internet.

Except that won't impress her. It will only impress a few of your geeky pilot friends. She will think you're pretentious and dump you for the captain of the football team.

Except that won't impress her. It will only impress a few of your geeky pilot friends. She will think you're pretentious and dump you for the captain of the football team.

You did what? That's nice. How much did THAT cost? Did you have fun without me? You could have just taken me out to dinner instead. I should have listened to my friends.

You did what? That's nice. How much did THAT cost? Did you have fun without me? You could have just taken me out to dinner instead. I should have listened to my friends.

"Sooo...... Melonie, what are you doing tonight?"

"I'm having dinner with a friend."

"Guess what I did today?"

"I can't imagine."

"Let me text you this URL. Got it?"

"What's that?"

"It's a flight track. Do you see any message in it?"

"It's too small. I'll let Biff read it, hold on. Biff says it looks like a poorly drawn penis. You're such a sicko."

"Um I was wondering uh... about the prom thing, and..."

"Can't. Biff has invited me to a romantic getaway that weekend. Sorry."

SMOKE ON NOW!
I'd suggest you invite her to fly with you to some remote destination and while you have her captive, ASK! Unless the plane is yours, you will be spending a ton of money solo. You have to ask yourself, why? Share the time with her especially if she loves flying.
On the other hand, save your money and just plot it out on an app that simulates the flight and play it back for her. Just tell her this is what you did. Then you get to spend the money on post prom stuff.

Dude. It's just a prom. In a few years you'll understand.

Dude. It's just a prom. In a few years you'll understand.

Take her flying, that will be way more impressive.

Don't wait too long though. By the time you fly and record this track, someone else will have asked her.

"Sooo...... Melonie, what are you doing tonight?"

"I'm having dinner with a friend."

"Guess what I did today?"

"I can't imagine."

"Let me text you this URL. Got it?"

"What's that?"

"It's a flight track. Do you see any message in it?"

"It's too small. I'll let Biff read it, hold on. Biff says it looks like a poorly drawn penis. You're such a sicko."

"Um I was wondering uh... about the prom thing, and..."

"Can't. Biff has invited me to a romantic getaway that weekend. Sorry."

Heh - reminds me of the story of the two guys sitting on the porch having their coffee. One guy says, "I don't know about that Anderson boy. I think he's trouble." Other guy says, "What do you mean?" First guy says,
"The other day I noticed he peed his name in the snow outside my daughter's window." Other guy says, "What's so bad about that?" First guy says, "It was her handwriting."

Heh - reminds me of the story of the two guys sitting on the porch having their coffee. One guy says, "I don't know about that Anderson boy. I think he's trouble." Other guy says, "What do you mean?" First guy says,
"The other day I noticed he peed his name in the snow outside my daughter's window." Other guy says, "What's so bad about that?" First guy says, "It was her handwriting."

So, for the third week in a row, Bill Clinton was outraged to find that someone peed the words "F you Bill" in the snow behind the White House. He was so angry that he ordered the Chief of the FBI to personally oversee the investigation.

Two weeks later the Chief of the FBI showed up at the White House with his entourage, and reported to Bill Clinton.

"Mr. President, we have the results of our investigation for you" said the Chief of the FBI.

"Okay, so who is it?" Clinton said.

"Well sir, we did a DNA analysis on the urine, and, it belongs to Jesse Jackson."

"Ah knew it, ah knew it, that son of a b***ch. Ah suspected it was him all along!"

"Uh, Mr. President, there's more...."

"Oh?"

"Well sir, we also did an analysis of the handwriting. It's Hillary's...."

You mean like this one? (Posted in the joke thread)

You know, it just occurred to me, if she happens to be your gf, isn't you taking her to the prom already a given?

You know, it just occurred to me, if she happens to be your gf, isn't you taking her to the prom already a given?

I think he's looking for a way to really impress her. Probably be a whole lot easier to make up a banner you can read from the air and then fly over it so she can read it. Just make sure to spell check it first or the whole interweb will read it, too.

I think he's looking for a way to really impress her. Probably be a whole lot easier to make up a banner you can read from the air and then fly over it so she can read it. Just make sure to spell check it first or the whole interweb will read it, too.

At least hang it right side up anyway.

Mᴉll ʎon ƃo ʍᴉʇɥ ɯǝ ʇo ʇɥǝ dɹoɯ¿

If you really want to surprise her, ask her best friend to the prom instead.

Well given the lack of feedback I'm going to guess our OP augered it in while attempting to dot the I.

You guys know how many gallons of avgas a modern suburban prom costs?

Back