Sata Hdd

Eamon

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Eamon
Hi, Oh great Puter Geeks.

I never dealt with a SATA connection before.

I just got a new computer.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2, 1gb ram, 250 SATA HDD, Biostar N4SLI-A9 Motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE {256 Mb} with a 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE PCI-E.

At the moment the HDD is hooked to the SATA and 1 DVD is hooked to the #1IDE port.

I want to hook another CD up and I also want to add an IDE HDD either permanant or at least temp to transfer data.

With the SATA in use, does that effect the IDE ports at all?

Can I add 2 players on 1 IDE and 2 HDDS on the other and still have the SATA hooked up?

What is the best configurement for ending with these 2 options as far as IDE #1 or 2 and slave and master. I guess the SATA 250 HDD will stay where it is...........................

Opt #1...Ending up with 3 HDD (2 IDE & 1 SATA) and also 2 players.

Opt #2...Ending with just 2 players (1 on eash IDE or on the same??) and the 1 SATA HDD.

Thanks,
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi, Oh great Puter Geeks.

I never dealt with a SATA connection before.

I just got a new computer.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2, 1gb ram, 250 SATA HDD, Biostar N4SLI-A9 Motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE {256 Mb} with a 3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE PCI-E.

At the moment the HDD is hooked to the SATA and 1 DVD is hooked to the #1IDE port.

I want to hook another CD up and I also want to add an IDE HDD either permanant or at least temp to transfer data.

With the SATA in use, does that effect the IDE ports at all?

Can I add 2 players on 1 IDE and 2 HDDS on the other and still have the SATA hooked up?

What is the best configurement for ending with these 2 options as far as IDE #1 or 2 and slave and master. I guess the SATA 250 HDD will stay where it is...........................

Opt #1...Ending up with 3 HDD (2 IDE & 1 SATA) and also 2 players.

Opt #2...Ending with just 2 players (1 on eash IDE or on the same??) and the 1 SATA HDD.

Thanks,
Cheers!

Unless the SATA port is in legacy mode simulating an IDE port it shouldn't be a problem.

First off why add IDE hard drives? You most likely have several SATA ports and SATA is actually easier. Just plug it in and it'll work. Plus there is more bandwidth. BUT..if you really want to do what you describe.

Option 1:

IDE#1: Master: HDD
IDE#1: Slave: HDD

IDE#2: Master: CD-ROM
IDE#2: Slave: CD-ROM

Option 2:
IDE#1: Master: CD-ROM

A couple of things to keep in mind. Most likely your second IDE port is slower than the first. So try to keep your hard drives on the 1st. In the second configuration you might as well split them up to maximize bandwidth. Like I said earlier there really is no reason you should be adding IDE HDD's. SATA HDD's are almost the same cost. So if you are going to add hard drives add them to the SATA ports. Just plug it in and you're done.

Last edited:
Unless the SATA port is in legacy mode simulating an IDE port it shouldn't be a problem.

First off why add IDE hard drives? You most likely have several SATA ports and SATA is actually easier. Just plug it in and it'll work.

Jesse, it sounds like Eamon wants to connect one or two IDE drives he already has from a previous system.

First off why add IDE hard drives? You most likely have several SATA ports and SATA is actually easier. Just plug it in and it'll work. Plus there is more bandwidth. BUT..if you really want to do what you describe.

Option 1:

IDE#2: Slave: CD-ROM

Option 2:
IDE#1: Master: CD-ROM

A couple of things to keep in mind. Most likely your second IDE port is slower than the first. So try to keep your hard drives on the 1st. In the second configuration you might as well split them up to maximize bandwidth. Like I said earlier there really is no reason you should be adding IDE HDD's. SATA HDD's are almost the same cost. So if you are going to add hard drives add them to the SATA ports. Just plug it in and you're done.

I think youhave too many Masters on the first one.
I've always heard you want to have the hard drive as master on each bus because it's faster and it will give up control of the bus faster than a CD or a DVD...or something.

Last edited:
I think you too many Masters on the first one.
I've always heard you want to have the hard drive as master on each bus because it's faster and it will give up control of the bus faster than a CD or a DVD...or something.

Oops. I meant Master / Slave. I'm sure he gets the point. One of the issues here is the fact that on most motherboards the second bus is WAY slower. (UDMA/33 versus UDMA/133) for example.

It is a common misconception that the master device has priority over the slave device. That's not the case. The serialization is handled by the device driver. The terms Master and Slave do not even appear in the ATA specification. They are known as Device 0 and Device 1.

One thing that really hurts you is when you take a fast device and a slow device and put it on the same bus. Only one device can do a read / write operation at the same time. So if you throw a real slow device with a real fast device the fast one will be waiting on the slow one. Of course if the slow one is not doing anything--the fast will run at full speed.

If your motherboard has (2) IDE ports (not all of them do any more due to phasing out IDE) I would leave the current DVD/CD on IDE 0 all by it self and put the other DVD/CD and HDD on IDE 1 with one as slave and the other as master (it does not matter which is which)(just use cable select).
The reason for this is to avoid transfering data from one device to another when both are on the same cable. Having them on the same cable cuts the transfer speed in half because you cannot read from one devise and write to another on the same cable at the same instant so it has to swith back and forth.

If your motherboard has (2) IDE ports (not all of them do any more due to phasing out IDE) I would leave the current DVD/CD on IDE 0 all by it self and put the other DVD/CD and HDD on IDE 1 with one as slave and the other as master (it does not matter which is which)(just use cable select).
The reason for this is to avoid transfering data from one device to another when both are on the same cable. Having them on the same cable cuts the transfer speed in half because you cannot read from one devise and write to another on the same cable at the same instant so it has to swith back and forth.

It really depends on how you are going to use all the drives. Different tasks will work best with it setup differently.

If your motherboard has (2) IDE ports (not all of them do any more due to phasing out IDE)...

I haven't heard about any motherboard not having IDE ports. IDE is only getting "phased out" for hard drives. I don't think I've seen any SATA CD or DVD drives, so the IDE ports have to be there for those.

The only burden MB makers have for having the IDE ports is having the real estate on the board for the ports. The system ASICs will all have the IDE ports there for free.

Thanks all. I started to play with it a little today.

The next problem is that I went to windows update and it says my key code is no longer valid.

Installed on the computer is XP Pro 2002 Service pack 2

I have a full win 98 cd, a ME update disk, but no XP except for whats on my dell laptop recovery disc :(

Ugggg!

No, do I buy a full XP or an upgrade? Do I try Linux XP?

Last edited:
Thanks all. I started to play with it a little today.

The next problem is that I went to windows update and it says my key code is no longer valid.

Installed on the computer is XP Pro 2002 Service pack 2

I have a full win 98 cd, a ME update disk, but no XP except for whats on my dell laptop recovery disc

Ugggg!

What disk did you install XP with on this system? If you have a legal copy of Windows simply type the number in and if it won't activate call the number listed.

If you don't have a legal copy of Windows:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116175

If a company built this system for you they are legally required to attach a GENUINE Windows sticker on the case that has the registration key. They are also legally required to provide you with the Windows XP media. As per the System Builders agreement that you accept upon opening Microsoft OEM software. If they are a Microsoft OEM Direct Partner they can install Windows and simply provide you with an image. Either way there should be a sticker on the system with the registration key.

If you bought this system from a system builder that did not install a legal copy of Windows. I suggest you ask them for a legal windows license. If they won't do that--Call Microsoft. These rogue system builders hurt you by causing major inconveniences and hurt us legal system builders by having lower costs.

Last edited:
Back