Saratoga vs. Malibu vs. ??

This is going to sound weak, but I find the 310 ugly inside & out. I think it is a great plane for the value (I guess).

That's just fine, and why they make different airplanes.

The Lance I'm in has club seating, and I wouldn't want anything else.

Then you want a Seneca or a 58 Baron. Personally, I find Club seating to not be worth anything until you hit cabin class twin interior size, but I have long legs.

I agree, for most of our flying, 160 is fine. Hell, for all of my flying 160 is fine...but more speed would be nice.

That's what you need to decide. I've flown from LA to NYC in one day at 155. And reality is that your block times at 180 vs 160 won't be much different unless you're flying a very long distance (which I do regularly).

What exactly is a turbo doing for me? Yes, beyond more power & more fuel burn.

Bruce covered it well. Although I've flown a lot of hours in and around icing quite happily non-turbo, and think the extra expense is really only worthwhile if you're going on long trips where you can make the altitude work for you.

Wow. Ok! That is what he was flying!

The RAM T310R is, in my opinion, one of the best options for people who don't need a cabin class. To do that speed you'll be doing ~40 gph and need to be in the flight levels, but that's not a bad fuel burn at all for the speed you're getting. And if you want to pull the power back and run the engines at a LOP power that's not max cruise, you'll probably end up finding yourself getting better MPG than I get in the 310N, which is a more aerodynamic airframe.

When this 310 finally has to be put out to pasture (which I'm hoping won't be for a long time yet), we will probably find ourselves looking for a RAM T310R.

The RAM T310R is, in my opinion, one of the best options for people who don't need a cabin class. To do that speed you'll be doing ~40 gph and need to be in the flight levels, but that's not a bad fuel burn at all for the speed you're getting. And if you want to pull the power back and run the engines at a LOP power that's not max cruise, you'll probably end up finding yourself getting better MPG than I get in the 310N, which is a more aerodynamic airframe.

When this 310 finally has to be put out to pasture (which I'm hoping won't be for a long time yet), we will probably find ourselves looking for a RAM T310R.

I'm learning more and more about 310s! I suppose it takes a lot more flying to stay proficient in them than in a single.

I'm learning more and more about 310s! I suppose it takes a lot more flying to stay proficient in them than in a single.

The 310 isn't a difficult airplane to fly. Although I don't particularly recommend it as a trainer, many people use it as one, and it does make a fine first twin. With any twin, proficiency is key to safe operation. There are actually various sim schools that exist that offer 310 classes. Insurance won't offer you a discount for it (at least, mine won't), but I am considering doing it anyway in spite of my 1600 multi hours (400 in 310s) because I do believe it offers some good benefits, specifically being able to simulate things that would just be too dangerous to attempt in the real plane. V1 cuts, etc.

When I bought my Aztec, I pretty much stopped flying any other plane for the first year, mainly to help build my multi-engine proficiency. I recommend this path for anyone who is transitioning to twins. For most who buy their own, I think this is reasonably simple since it seems most people will buy their twin and that will be their only plane. Now, with the 310 as the only plane I have immediate access to, it is the only plane I will be flying anyway, and I'm happy with that. I did not like the daily flipping between the 310, a 310R, the Aztec, two Navajos (one -310 and one -350), the Cheyenne, and the Commander. It doesn't do well for proficiency in any of the aircraft, does provide for confusion swapping between aircraft. The 310 doesn't have cowl flaps, but the Navajo and Aztec do. The Cheyenne and Commander are turbines, but one's PT6 powered and the other is TPE-331 powered, both of which have completely different start procedures. 310 has electric gear, the rest have hydraulic. Etc. etc.

My experience with 310s is limited to the N I fly and a couple of Rs I've flown (the RAM T310R and a Bearcat R). I like flying the N better as it has a much sportier feel than the Rs. Even the Bearcat R with 300 HP IO-520s I found to be a real dog off the line with two people and full fuel on a cool evening compared to the N I fly with 6 people and luggage (max gross) on a hot day. But the R has better support, more STCs, is newer, and has a bigger interior (plus nose baggage). The older 310s are even faster than the N, although the one I fly is slowed down with VGs and boots, but sped up with a Colemill conversion that gives it 520s.

Barons are faster than 310s for the same power, but that's because their frontal area is smaller. This translates into less space between you and your copilot. If you fly solo up front for the most part, I wouldn't think this to be a problem, but it would be an issue if you have copilots who aren't small. Having flown in various Bonanzas/Barons with clients, none of whom were overweight (and I have the waist of a string bean - even with my wife's excellent cooking), I always found myself wishing I had the extra space of the Aztec or 310. I guess I'm spoiled.

If you want to haul 5 people in a Malibu.....you best pack light and watch the W&B closely. Baggage area is rather tiny (and CG envelope tighter) in the PA46 than the PA32.

But yes, you will go much faster.

This is all very informative folks, and I greatly appreciate it.

So, here is my next two part question for this series:

Baron vs. Saratoga

With the initial follow on of: at how many hours on the engine do you start to look away from a purchase candidate?

If it's priced as run out I don't eliminate it from the prospect list. Some people like to start over with a fresh engine that they install themselved.

Baron vs. Saratoga

With the initial follow on of: at how many hours on the engine do you start to look away from a purchase candidate?

If it's priced as run out I don't eliminate it from the prospect list. Some people like to start over with a fresh engine that they install themselved.

Yep, I get that.

Though I have a friend who said he'd rather buy with "fresh" engines & avionics vs. nice paint an interior.

Apparently having his "glass" installed was night-mare-ish.

A Garmin GNS 500 installation for our King Air was scheduled for 2 weeks, but required almost six months before it worked properly. We were able to fly it after about 4 months. The glideslope coupling never did work exactly right.

Yep, I get that.

Though I have a friend who said he'd rather buy with "fresh" engines & avionics vs. nice paint an interior.

Then you want a Seneca or a 58 Baron. Personally, I find Club seating to not be worth anything until you hit cabin class twin interior size, but I have long legs.

Really? It appears to me non-club seating has less leg room.

Beside, I like to look back and see my happy family playing cards and giggling and smiling and not fighting...oh wait...was I just dreaming?

But seriously folks, they do play cards on all flights.

Smaller people probably think they are comfortable. I would have probably been comfortable in seventh grade. Oh, never mind, I was 23 by then. Row seating eliminates the shin kicking.

Really? It appears to me non-club seating has less leg room.

Beside, I like to look back and see my happy family playing cards and giggling and smiling and not fighting...oh wait...was I just dreaming?

But seriously folks, they do play cards on all flights.

As projects go, replacing an existing running engine with a reman from a crate +/- new baffles and hoses is one of the financially and time-wise more predictable things you can do.

Next is probably paint. There is good competition among shops for that kind of work and you rarely find people really ticked off on how things went.

Interior projects often seem to over-run on time and money. Usually because after everything is taken out, the 'while we are here' disease starts to take hold.

The real tales of woe tend to be avionics projects. Companies that go out of business after selling your old avionics for cash, credit card processors suing the aircraft owner for money stolen by the avionics guy, planes that are torn to pieces before the avionics installer disappears to Puerto Rico. Installations that simply dont work with Garmin blaming the installer and the installer blaming God.

So, if I had my picks, I would go with :
- the glass cockpit I want already installed,
- recently redone interior,
- 50ft paint
and a runout engine.

The problem is that every owner of a runout believes that his plane has 'a strong engine' and that 'you'll get hundreds of hours out of this one'. As a result, the runouts with 15 years since someone cracked the case are still priced as if they have 500hrs on a factory engine.

As projects go, replacing an existing running engine with a reman from a crate +/- new baffles and hoses is one of the financially and time-wise more predictable things you can do.

Next is probably paint. There is good competition among shops for that kind of work and you rarely find people really ticked off on how things went.

Interior projects often seem to over-run on time and money. Usually because after everything is taken out, the 'while we are here' disease starts to take hold.

The real tales of woe tend to be avionics projects. Companies that go out of business after selling your old avionics for cash, credit card processors suing the aircraft owner for money stolen by the avionics guy, planes that are torn to pieces before the avionics installer disappears to Puerto Rico. Installations that simply dont work with Garmin blaming the installer and the installer blaming God.

So, if I had my picks, I would go with :
- the glass cockpit I want already installed,
- recently redone interior,
- 50ft paint
and a runout engine.

The problem is that every owner of a runout believes that his plane has 'a strong engine' and that 'you'll get hundreds of hours out of this one'. As a result, the runouts with 15 years since someone cracked the case are still priced as if they have 500hrs on a factory engine.

I just bought a Bonanza with a shiny new 4 SMOH engine on it, it has not been without issues. I'm about $1500-$2000 bucks into cleaning up after the folks who installed it. Mostly minor (couple of oil leaks, wiring/lighting/alternator issues etc..), but it's adding up and I was expecting some post-new-engine hiccups. 100 SMOH would be what I was looking for, let the guy who had the engine installed deal with the folks who installed it. Buying it farm fresh then ferrying it across the country to have a new mechanic work out the kinks hasn't been optimal,

Good info, I like that 50ft paint.

The Lance I lease has that and 100ft "Partridge Family" velour interior.

So...when we talk damage...

I saw a Saratoga listed with about 50 hrs on the motor.
Said they had a prop strike after the new engine installed.

X, Y & Z was accomplished and engine still under warranty.

What does this really mean, and what should be the concerns?

Appraisers (of which I am one) and lenders (who order most of the appraisals) don't really care what the owner thinks about his engine.

Buying it farm fresh then ferrying it across the country to have a new mechanic work out the kinks hasn't been optimal,

Yup, either 100hrs or 2100hrs.

Some people 'save money' by ferrying the plane 1/2 way across the country to do an engine change, fly home and then cry themselves to sleep over every chafing hose and loose baffle that they now have to pay out of pocket to get put back into place.

Changing engines is not trivial, but if you have it done locally, the degree of misery is limited relative to the cluster-f avionics projects have a potential to turn into.

Good info, I like that 50ft paint.

The Lance I lease has that and 100ft "Partridge Family" velour interior.

So...when we talk damage...

I saw a Saratoga listed with about 50 hrs on the motor.
Said they had a prop strike after the new engine installed.

It means that insurance won't cover a major overhaul after a prop strike, but it will cover an inspection.

If I were to to buy an engine with a prop strike on the current overhaul, it would need to have been pulled off the plane, sent to an engine shop and inspected (they do some fancy inspection on the crank and return it to service). And I'm just uninformed enough about even that process that I probably wouldn't buy a prop strike plane anyway. I wouldn't accept one that had "the crank dialed" on it only. Your prop can land before you do, preceded by oil on your window and an odd CG shift in your new glider.

What was 'X, Y & Z' ?

If it wasn't an engine teardown iaw Lycoming yadayada and non-destructive testing of the crankshaft, it might as well not have happened.

Yup, either 100hrs or 2100hrs.

Some people 'save money' by ferrying the plane 1/2 way across the country to do an engine change, fly home and then cry themselves to sleep over every chafing hose and loose baffle that they now have to pay out of pocket to get put back into place.

Changing engines is not trivial, but if you have it done locally, the degree of misery is limited relative to the cluster-f avionics projects have a potential to turn into.

I had a 15 hour quote to install a GPS, I picked it up 4 months later, actually had the GPS signed off as IFR certified 5 months after that. Yup, 9 months to complete a 15 hour job and I was out a plane and renting for 4 months of that.

I had a 15 hour quote to install a GPS, I picked it up 4 months later, actually had the GPS signed off as IFR certified 5 months after that. Yup, 9 months to complete a 15 hour job and I was out a plane and renting for 4 months of that.

:mad2:

Some obscure FAR requires that you also get overcharged for the job and at least the oil-pressure light is left OTS after the plane is returned.

What was 'X, Y & Z' ?

If it wasn't an engine teardown iaw Lycoming yadayada and non-destructive testing of the crankshaft, it might as well not have happened.

"NOTATION:

The owner recently had a propeller strike during taxi. The engine was removed and inspected by the same engine shop that performed the overhaul. A brand new propeller was also installed. The owner has advised us that the remaining transferable engine warranty will still be valid."

The price doesn't seem to me to reflect the incident...even if all is OK.

Listed Here

Ooh.

I get it.

The owner recently had a propeller strike during taxi. The engine was removed and inspected by the same engine shop that performed the overhaul. A brand new propeller was also installed. The owner has advised us that the remaining transferable engine warranty will still be valid."

I would want to see the work order and parts-list for that inspection and to have someone like Charlie Merlot go over it.

There are things Lycoming requires to be done for a prop-strike inspection documented in some SBs and at least one AD. Depending on the specific engine that may include the replacement of the key that holds the accessory drive sprocket on the crank. So if they did that whole thing, I wouldn't hold the prop-strike against the plane. If the 'inspection' just meant that 'Bob in QA' cracked the crate open 'dialed the crank' and called it a day, then I would pass on that one.

EDIT (after looking at the link to the plane):

This is from the log entry for the prop strike inspection:

,Engine disassembled , cleaned, and inspected due to propeller sbike. in accordance with Lycoming SB533A, no damage defected. Reinstalled cylinders after inspection and repair, see mainlenane release tag. Installed magneto's left PIN 6351. SIN 11071218, and right P1N635<1,SIN 11040839, after 5DOhoor inspection and A.D. compliance. This engine was test run for two hours in a test eel[ and meets specifications. See A.D. Compliance Record and Parts Ust for more

Looks legit.

Poplar Grove is a shop with a good reputation and the documentation in the logs suggests a complete teardown including some cylinder work. Still, I would ask to get the work order parts lists etc. and have someone look it over before writing a check for the equivalent of a small house.

Prop-strike at 7 SMOH. Someone was crying after that one :redface:.

Last edited:

Baron vs. Saratoga

Baron will be faster, IMO better interior, and will probably actually be more reliable since the engines are lower stressed than the Saratoga's big single - especially a turbo Sartoga.

The 310 that we're now putting engines on was at TBO when we got it. We ran it another 400 hours, and are now putting engines on.

Personally, I would rather buy a plane with run-out engines that is priced appropriately. You'll probably get some time out of the engines (how much depends) and when you overhaul them, you'll have it done your way.

I've done significant avionics upgrades on both the Aztec and the 310. I suppose I've been lucky in that everything has always worked as advertised. But it has typically cost 1.5-2x more than advertised. If you can find a plane that has the avionics you want and timed out engines, I would go for that. Then put the engines on it you want and you'll have a plane done up the way you want it.

This is in my neighborhood. I'm going to go take a look and see how different in size they really are (interior). It is more than I want to pay, but lots of fancy glass.

As my co-pilots are typically my kids or wife, the elbow room is not an issue for me.

I'd be curious if my wife & kids would find it smaller.

The 310 isn't a difficult airplane to fly. Although I don't particularly recommend it as a trainer, many people use it as one, and it does make a fine first twin. With any twin, proficiency is key to safe operation. There are actually various sim schools that exist that offer 310 classes. Insurance won't offer you a discount for it (at least, mine won't), but I am considering doing it anyway in spite of my 1600 multi hours (400 in 310s) because I do believe it offers some good benefits, specifically being able to simulate things that would just be too dangerous to attempt in the real plane. V1 cuts, etc.

When I bought my Aztec, I pretty much stopped flying any other plane for the first year, mainly to help build my multi-engine proficiency. I recommend this path for anyone who is transitioning to twins. For most who buy their own, I think this is reasonably simple since it seems most people will buy their twin and that will be their only plane. Now, with the 310 as the only plane I have immediate access to, it is the only plane I will be flying anyway, and I'm happy with that. I did not like the daily flipping between the 310, a 310R, the Aztec, two Navajos (one -310 and one -350), the Cheyenne, and the Commander. It doesn't do well for proficiency in any of the aircraft, does provide for confusion swapping between aircraft. The 310 doesn't have cowl flaps, but the Navajo and Aztec do. The Cheyenne and Commander are turbines, but one's PT6 powered and the other is TPE-331 powered, both of which have completely different start procedures. 310 has electric gear, the rest have hydraulic. Etc. etc.

My experience with 310s is limited to the N I fly and a couple of Rs I've flown (the RAM T310R and a Bearcat R). I like flying the N better as it has a much sportier feel than the Rs. Even the Bearcat R with 300 HP IO-520s I found to be a real dog off the line with two people and full fuel on a cool evening compared to the N I fly with 6 people and luggage (max gross) on a hot day. But the R has better support, more STCs, is newer, and has a bigger interior (plus nose baggage). The older 310s are even faster than the N, although the one I fly is slowed down with VGs and boots, but sped up with a Colemill conversion that gives it 520s.

Barons are faster than 310s for the same power, but that's because their frontal area is smaller. This translates into less space between you and your copilot. If you fly solo up front for the most part, I wouldn't think this to be a problem, but it would be an issue if you have copilots who aren't small. Having flown in various Bonanzas/Barons with clients, none of whom were overweight (and I have the waist of a string bean - even with my wife's excellent cooking), I always found myself wishing I had the extra space of the Aztec or 310. I guess I'm spoiled.

Ted, thanks for this. I actually always thought the later model 310s looked quite good, and I am pleasantly surprised by their performance. As a non-professional pilot who needs aviation for my job, the 310 or a Seneca or Baron is probably the most practical choice of twins for me. I must admit I'd be a bit intimidated--but if I was the owner, I'd get over that right quick by getting lots of training hours in the birds. It would definitely be worth it.

I've flown a 310 and a Twin Commander. They both flew like the dignified ships they are. I did feel that a 310 would be a bit less homework for me than the Twin Commander.

Ted, thanks for this. I actually always thought the later model 310s looked quite good, and I am pleasantly surprised by their performance. As a non-professional pilot who needs aviation for my job, the 310 or a Seneca or Baron is probably the most practical choice of twins for me. I must admit I'd be a bit intimidated--but if I was the owner, I'd get over that right quick by getting lots of training hours in the birds. It would definitely be worth it.

I've never looked back since switching to twins. If you're trying to accomplish a job (which you are), it's the way to go.

I've flown a 310 and a Twin Commander. They both flew like the dignified ships they are. I did feel that a 310 would be a bit less homework for me than the Twin Commander.

I'd agree with that. The Commanders are pretty complex aircraft.

Feel free to PM me if you want any additional 310-specific info. The Aztec and Baron have their places for sure (including if you want to operate on strips that may be hard on landing gear), but I think the 310 is the best compromise. I'll happily fly mine on any paved or gravel strip, just not on grass.

I've never looked back since switching to twins. If you're trying to accomplish a job (which you are), it's the way to go.

I'd agree with that. The Commanders are pretty complex aircraft.

Feel free to PM me if you want any additional 310-specific info. The Aztec and Baron have their places for sure (including if you want to operate on strips that may be hard on landing gear), but I think the 310 is the best compromise. I'll happily fly mine on any paved or gravel strip, just not on grass.

Thanks!

Appraisers (of which I am one) and lenders (who order most of the appraisals) don't really care what the owner thinks about his engine.

Yes, I get that. I understand fully how it works in the housing world.

Which leads me to, what is the best way to value a plane in the buying process. In real estate you look a comparable house values.

Example:

I see a 1995 Saratoga II HP, TT 1131 TT, new eninge $189,500
I see a 1997 Saratoga II HP, TT 1798, Engine time 1798, similar equipment priced at $199,500

My un-educated gut feeling is, if the 1997 has a low time engine, this might make sense, but that is a high time engine.

My un-educated gut feeling is, if the 1997 has a low time engine, this might make sense, but that is a high time engine.

Your gut feeling is right.

In addition to the engine bumping up against TBO, it is also past expiration date for calendar years.

One thing to look out for with Lycoming engines at the tail end of the 90s was the 'great Lycoming crankshaft disaster'. There is a list of engine serial nos that need to have the crank replaced the first time the case is split. All the deals Lycoming offered the victims of their s#### workmanship expired last year, so if an engine serial# is subject to the AD, you are looking at a very pricey overhaul. 97 sounds early for this, I remember more 98-00 being affected by this.

Consider working with someone who is an appraiser and familiar with the type to advise you on the purchase. Often this is called a buyers agent, but in reality you dont want an agent, you want advice not only on price but also model year differences, features, mechanical issues to look out for etc.

Last edited:
So, wouldn't a good idea be to do the three following things, if purchasing a Malibu:

1) Be proficient in engine-out. Know your descent rate, and practice finding your 1000 abeam from five or six different altitudes.
2) Fly conservatively--make 65% power be your max, and watch your CHTs and TITs (I love that acronym).
3) Decide that your engine's TBO will be 1500-1700 hours.

Because all of that seems like a small price to pay for a wonderful pressurized and swift cabin class single.

And there are a lot of Bus on the market for not an unreasonable price!

Rhyme and reason are noticeably absent insofar as asking asking prices are concerned, along with discernible logic. . A high percentage of sales are FSBO's with no input from anybody who has an understanding of current value.

Most-heard responses to "how did you arrive at your asking price?"

1. That's what I've got in it.
2. That's what they're selling for on Tradeaplane.
3. That's what it's worth to me.
4. I figure it only takes one buyer at my price.
5. If I can't get my price I'll just keep it.

And they do.
Yes, I get that. I understand fully how it works in the housing world.

Which leads me to, what is the best way to value a plane in the buying process. In real estate you look a comparable house values.

Example:

I see a 1995 Saratoga II HP, TT 1131 TT, new eninge $189,500
I see a 1997 Saratoga II HP, TT 1798, Engine time 1798, similar equipment priced at $199,500

So, wouldn't a good idea be to do the three following things, if purchasing a Malibu:

1) Be proficient in engine-out. Know your descent rate, and practice finding your 1000 abeam from five or six different altitudes.
2) Fly conservatively--make 65% power be your max, and watch your CHTs and TITs (I love that acronym).
3) Decide that your engine's TBO will be 1500-1700 hours.

Because all of that seems like a small price to pay for a wonderful pressurized and swift cabin class single.

Seeing as item 1 kills a number of people, the price could be high.

And if you follow item 2, it's suddenly not quite so swift. The Piper marketing numbers use high power because that was what was needed to make it swift.

Following item 3 isn't necessarily a guarantee of engine life, though. Most Continentals have TBOs of 1400-1600 hours for turbo models. That seems a better esmate, but again no guarantee.

Calling it "cabin class" is a bit of a misnomer, in my opinion. It's got club seating and an air-stair door, but there's no aisle in the middle and not a ton of space. A Navajo is cabin class. A Malibu is up from a TBM, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

To be fair, a 340 doesn't have much of a cabin class, either. Wayne's got much more first-hand experience than I do with the two aircraft, but I've found a 340 has a better interior than a Malibu. I also find Malbius have a cramped cockpit area for my 6'2" frame. I don't have this issue in the other twins.

Like the M's, the 340 has some space between the seats. Calling either an aisle is generous, a gap is probably more descriptive. A 340 cabin is roomier, but neither is suitable for dance classes. Nor are they stellar examples of useful load, but the after-market VG kits have increased the 340's utility. The planes were originally limited to 5,995# max TO weight due to tax considerations, which rendered them incapable of carrying much in the cabin with full fuel. My 340 was limited to ~350# cabin weight, which meant I didn't often top the tanks. The VG's (that weren't available at the time) have added 300# to allowable weight, which in turn provided much more flexibility in cabin loading at the cost of performance. The M's takeoff performance isn't all that great anyway, so the 340's loss of performance isn't a big deal when comparing the two planes.

To be fair, a 340 doesn't have much of a cabin class, either. Wayne's got much more first-hand experience than I do with the two aircraft, but I've found a 340 has a better interior than a Malibu. I also find Malbius have a cramped cockpit area for my 6'2" frame. I don't have this issue in the other twins.

Last edited:

True, the Malibu cockpit is quite snug. This was one of the negatives for me. And getting in between the two front seats is not easy if you're reasonably tall (I'm also 6'2). I think the 2011 or 2012 model allows the right seat to be folded flat forward to help the left seat entry. That doesn't help whoever is getting into the right seat. I must admit that this is one of the areas that I did not like about the Malibu. I am slightly claustrophobic and what was going through my mind was that I had to put the plane down and survived the initial impact, the chances of getting out quickly seem to be low.

So one thing to consider with a Malibu (or any plane): is the prime consideration the pilot or the pax? One thing I love about the 310 is easy access for the pilot. Pax? They can crawl around. Customer service at its finest. ;)

So one thing to consider with a Malibu (or any plane): is the prime consideration the pilot or the pax? One thing I love about the 310 is easy access for the pilot. Pax? They can crawl around. Customer service at its finest. ;)

Right! I need to think of bags and cello entry and egress!

Back