Santa Barbara Near Miss

Scud_072

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scud
So I was on my second long XC solo... my second stop was going to be Santa Barbara approaching from the north. I am at 2000 over the 101 and cleared for 15R. As I am getting close, I hear another pilot with a heavy accent and not speaking all that good of english asking for clearance and is cleared for 15L. He says back "ok.. 15R" and the tower says, "no, 15L" and he says "ok 15R" and the tower says ""15L and he says "ok" (I am short handing the conversation but that was essentially it). Tower tells me about him as traffic ahead and tells him about me. Then I start my turn to final and as I come around, this guys is right above me about 300 feet and in front of my about 1000 feet and decending faster than I am heading for 15R. :hairraise: I have a stablized approach and just about the time I know I either have to say something or do something he comes on the radio and says "tower did you say 15R or 15l" the tower says "15R" and at about 500 AGL he swerves hard left and then right to land on 15L. I landed on 15R. That was a rush. Playing it back in my mind.... I knew they were not communicating effectively and I should have said something but choose not to....:mad2: I am still thinking about that as I am holding myself responsible for this. How does one tell the tower that one doesn't believe the tower and the other pilot are communicating effectively?

I would just tell them I wanted to extend my downwind, or if I was in final that I had traffic in sight and am doing a 360 to keep distance.

Maybe someone can track down the audio log. What time was it? Was it today ?

I agree if you here someone confused and in close proximity due what you can for spacing. I seriously doubt the controller would have any issues with extending downwind.

How did rest of your flight go?

....he comes on the radio and says "tower did you say 15R or 15l" the tower says "15R" and at about 500 AGL he swerves hard left and then right to land on 15L. I landed on 15R. That was a rush. Playing it back in my mind.... I knew they were not communicating effectively and I should have said something but choose not to....:mad2: I am still thinking about that as I am holding myself responsible for this. How does one tell the tower that one doesn't believe the tower and the other pilot are communicating effectively?

huh?

Wanna get the tapes and we'll see what really happened? Did you get a request to call the tower? Did he get a request to call the tower? Are you going to file a NASA?

huh?

Wanna get the tapes and we'll see what really happened? Did you get a request to call the tower? Did he get a request to call the tower? Are you going to file a NASA?

I agree. SBA is pretty laid-back, but if that happened I'd expect them to be screaming on the freq and a request to call.

If they didn't give a number to call I sure would have asked for a number to call.

I would file a NASA anyway . Can't hurt.

So I was on my second long XC solo... my second stop was going to be Santa Barbara approaching from the north. I am at 2000 over the 101 and cleared for 15R. As I am getting close, I hear another pilot with a heavy accent and not speaking all that good of english asking for clearance and is cleared for 15L. He says back "ok.. 15R" and the tower says, "no, 15L" and he says "ok 15R" and the tower says ""15L and he says "ok" (I am short handing the conversation but that was essentially it). Tower tells me about him as traffic ahead and tells him about me. Then I start my turn to final and as I come around, this guys is right above me about 300 feet and in front of my about 1000 feet and decending faster than I am heading for 15R. :hairraise: I have a stablized approach and just about the time I know I either have to say something or do something he comes on the radio and says "tower did you say 15R or 15l" the tower says "15R" and at about 500 AGL he swerves hard left and then right to land on 15L. I landed on 15R. That was a rush. Playing it back in my mind.... I knew they were not communicating effectively and I should have said something but choose not to....:mad2: I am still thinking about that as I am holding myself responsible for this. How does one tell the tower that one doesn't believe the tower and the other pilot are communicating effectively?

At that stage I would have been asking tower for a 360.... And not a second longer...:no:

huh?

Yes, lets get the tapes and see what really happened. How do we do that? Neither of us got a request to call the tower. It was monday (this week) around 3:15PM

No LiveATC archive for that date and time at KSBA unfortunately. You'll have to officially contact the tower and have them pull the tape. I too would recommend a NASA ASRS report; even if you're not at fault it would be good to address this from a safety standpoint.

The point of ASRS is supposed to be safety. Not finger-pointing or avoiding enforcement.

This is very, very definitely a safety issue. Please make the report. If there is a pattern of this sort of thing at Santa Barbara or elsewhere, that's how it might be found out.

Lots of the exchange is not hearable because all of the clearance delivery communications. All channels at this airport are recorded all at once.

Back