SanDisk Titanium vs. Chinese Laundry

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
I had an emergency job last night, and I left my 2.0 GB SanDisk Cruzer U3 Titanium drive in my pants pocket as I threw them on the laundry pile when I got home. Then this morning I stuffed the pants in the laundry bag and brought them over to the Chinese Laundry (best deal in town @ $0.70 a pound, washed, dried, and folded). I didn't realize until I was already on my way to my first field stop that my flash drive was, by then, somewhere between "wash" and "spin."

When I picked up my laundry, the laundryman had a mournful look. He apologized deeply for not having found the drive in my pocket before it got washed, dried, and nearly folded. He handed it over to me as if it were the lifeless corpse of a treasured pet.

cruzer.jpg

But you know, SanDisk claims that their Titanium series drives are nearly indestructible, and true to that claim, when I plugged it into a computer, it worked!

ss.jpg

Pretty impressive, I'd say. It survived detergent, bleach, water, heat, and tumbling.

Rich

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty damn impressive. I would still move the stuff off the drive and not rely on it though, but that's just me.

Thanks, but it mainly contains various utilities and anti-malware tools that I have in at least three or four different places, including in a folder on my laptop, burned to CD's, etc. I still do onsite support when people call for it, and a lot of times having these tools on the flash drive just saves me from having to schlep my backpack into the accounts.

Rich

I bought two of those from Newegg at my previous company. Both died the first week under normal use. Luck of the draw I guess.

This is actually a hard drive?

Why risk that when you can get flash memory in 2gig and larger sizes?

Man, it would be awesome to have a hard drive that size....a usb hard drive, same size as a flash drive? It would make me wet my pants!!

I'm pretty sure this is just a thumb drive, using flash memory.

Don't ever do a GIS of pee pants.

/me shudders.

I actually have an actual, mechanical hard drive almost that small, but it's only 1.5 GB. I bought it back when 128 MB flash drives were the biggest you could get. I still use it once in a while.

If I remember tomorrow I'll take a picture of it.

Rich

for future reference, a motorola cell phone will survive immersion in an unflushed toilet bowl.

I have an acquaintance who told me about it, she said it is still working fine, you just have to remove the battery, rinse well in clean water, and use a hair dryer.
:D

for future reference, a motorola cell phone will survive immersion in an unflushed toilet bowl.

I have an acquaintance who told me about it, she said it is still working fine, you just have to remove the battery, rinse well in clean water, and use a hair dryer.
:D
Would YOU want to use that phone again? :hairraise:

Actually, an acquaintance just had a similar situation (though I don't know the brand), and needed to rinse it with isopropyl alcohol to get it working again.

Would YOU want to use that phone again? :hairraise:

Actually, an acquaintance just had a similar situation (though I don't know the brand), and needed to rinse it with isopropyl alcohol to get it working again.
Loan it to Scott when he visits. :D

I've seen the mini-drives around a while. It doesn't seem that long ago they were still in research. The prices dropped a lot faster than I would have expected though I'm sure the sizes will remain fairly small for a while.

It's the laptop (2.5") drives that still seem rather pricey by comparison of the same size drives.

Hahah friend of mine did that with his crackberry....he was answering emails on the throne when he lost his grip. Unfortunately his blackberry wasn't as water resistant as said Motorola phone.

The funny part of this story is that when he reported it to the guy in charge of the work blackberries, the guy told him that dropping your phone into the toilet was way more common than you thought.

Pete

Hahah friend of mine did that with his crackberry....he was answering emails on the throne when he lost his grip. Unfortunately his blackberry wasn't as water resistant as said Motorola phone.

The funny part of this story is that when he reported it to the guy in charge of the work blackberries, the guy told him that dropping your phone into the toilet was way more common than you thought.

Pete

While doing 'data' work with your mobile device while in the toilet is ok am I the only one that thinks when you are standing at the urinal and your phone rings just let it go to voicemail? I see a lot of guy holding the phone up to their ear talking while using their other hand to.....err..utilize the urinal service mode. I really do not want to be talking to someone while they are using the toilet.

While doing 'data' work with your mobile device while in the toilet is ok am I the only one that thinks when you are standing at the urinal and your phone rings just let it go to voicemail? I see a lot of guy holding the phone up to their ear talking while using their other hand to.....err..utilize the urinal service mode. I really do not want to be talking to someone while they are using the toilet.

http://www.snopes.com/embarrass/mistaken/stall.asp

I almost got to test that theory this morning :hairraise:

Reminder to self, do not place cellphone in shirt pocket if you plan on bending over for any reason.

Fortunately, the hand is quicker than the cellphone, and it landed on the floor. Now I merely need to contend with a loose battery door release instead of a soaked phone.

The guys with the headsets in are the worst. For some reason they feel the need to scream when they talk. Sometimes if I am in a surly mood I'll start talking to them, answering their questions are asking them repeat something, or explain it further. Most times they just walk away, so the problem is solved. Once in a great while they tell the person on the phone to hold, look at me and say 'do you mind I am on a call'. That is my moment to say, 'oh you were talking so loud I thought you wanted us all to participate in your conversation', They then walk away, again problem solved. :D:D

Back