Sandel Autoslew vs GPSS

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
From another thread:

Dave Siciliano said:
Began playing with the Sandel in the autoslew mode this trip. If I put a flight plan in the Garmin, the Sandel just flies it; turns at each way point. With this and the altitude intercept, these complex routes and altitude changes get pretty easy to keep up with.

I'm wondering if GPSS would have any advantage over the autoslew mode of the Sandel EHSI's. For those of you with experience with either (or both), it seems like they perform similar functions albeit differently, would it be worth an extra kilobuck or so to have GPSS if you already have the Sandel coupled to a GNS-480?

Lance:

You might want to check with Sandel. I'm just getting to understand what the auto slew does and doesn't do. The manual that came with it doesn't explain much, just how to put it in the auto mode or take it out. I do know it won't automatically shoot some of the approach procedures; that could be a difference.

It was a pain to put procedure in the Garman and have it set up a procedure turn, then have approach tell me to go straight in. That may be more of a Garmin issue that the Sandel.

Dave

Since we're on this topic. I fly a King Air that is GPSS enabled and I think it's great. My Mooney is on the verge of greatness and I'd really like to have this capability. Here's the set up. I have a KLN-89B GPS navigator coupled to a KFC-150 A/P and a KCS-55 HSI and flight director. What sort of miracle needs to occur (most likely involving a significant cash hemorrhage) so I can enjoy the benefits of GPSS in the 252? Thank in advance.

Fast n' Furious said:
Since we're on this topic. I fly a King Air that is GPSS enabled and I think it's great. My Mooney is on the verge of greatness and I'd really like to have this capability. Here's the set up. I have a KLN-89B GPS navigator coupled to a KFC-150 A/P and a KCS-55 HSI and flight director. What sort of miracle needs to occur (most likely involving a significant cash hemorrhage) so I can enjoy the benefits of GPSS in the 252? Thank in advance.

A thousand dollars plus installation from S-Tec, I believe. They sell a stand alone system that works with most autopilots IIRC.

Thanks for the reply Greg. I should have gone my homework a bit before I asked the question. The KLN 89B does not support roll steering apparantly. There is a plug and play replacement for the 89B, the 94, which has the function. The STEC GPSS module supports the STEC 55 but not the KFC 150. Rats. Will have to throw more money at the airplane. Time for another beer!

Fast n' Furious said:
Thanks for the reply Greg. I should have gone my homework a bit before I asked the question. The KLN 89B does not support roll steering apparantly. There is a plug and play replacement for the 89B, the 94, which has the function. The STEC GPSS module supports the STEC 55 but not the KFC 150. Rats. Will have to throw more money at the airplane. Time for another beer!

There is another GPSS device that works with many autopilots including Century and King. I also think that it will work with a KLN-94 and maybe a KLN-89B.

www.dacint.com/ecd/gdc31.pdf

Fast n' Furious said:
Ah, bleeding for the love of Mooney.....

bbchien said:
Ah, bleeding for the love of Mooney.....

IIRC the GDC31 is only about one aviation monetary unit ($1k).

Lance,
Thank you for finding that for me. I'll check them out soonest and see what they can do. I'll let you know the results.
John

Lance,

Thanks for the info. I called the folks who make the GDC-31 today and it's not going to be of use to me with the equipment I have now. The update rate of the KLN-89B and the KLN-94 which directly replaces the 89B is too slow to properly provide the roll commands for GPSS. It would be better than I've got but apparently the A/P goes into a 3 degree left and right wing rock throughout the turn onto the new course and well beyond. The engineer said so far the results with the 89B and the 94 are disappointing but all the evidence is anecdotal. Further, he says the GDC-31 doesn't work with the KLN-90B at all. Back to square one but thanks for the effort.

Back