San Diego bound

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
One the way to see my Dad in San Diego in the morning! (Peter Paul & Mary singin: Leavin in a prop plane; playing in the backgound).

Can hardly wait to get the P-baron up in the flight levels and see where it trues out after all the GAMI fine-tuning that was done last week!! Don't know if I'll be smiling more up there seeing what the Baron can do or on Sunday morning opening presents--but I have a good idea :D

Hope all have a happy and safe Christmas!!

If my posts become a little more liberal, please bear where I'll be in mind and forgive me ;)

Have fun and Merry Christmas. I can't say for certain that the last conservative left San Diego in 1990 when I moved to Colorado, but can't swear it's not the case, either. Actually, I take that back. My brother in law just got transfered to Miramar a few months ago, so there's at least one... (poor guy... AF MSgt on a Marine base ...)

Dave Siciliano said:
If my posts become a little more liberal, please bear where I'll be in mind and forgive me ;)

Dave, with all you've done for our country, I don't care if you start dressing like Hillary Clinton. :)

Merry Christmas, Bouno Natale, Feliz Navidad!

I just checked the winds and if you stay below 150 there will hardly be a headwind Dave! The jet is nicely north and high, maybe it will move down for the return trip! I think you go to Brown, right?

Anthony said:
Dave, with all you've done for our country, I don't care if you start dressing like Hillary Clinton. :)

Merry Christmas, Bouno Natale, Feliz Navidad!
That strikes me as one of the funniest posts this year. I agree with the sentiment.

lancefisher said:
Have a Gami Christmas Dave!
And this one is funny...and genuine.

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
We will let your liberal leaning slide for a week or so because of where you have been. After that you need to clean up your act. LOL

Just talked with my brother in SD. High 70-mid 80s. CAVU Santa Ana winds and 15-20' swell. Swell subsiding to 12-15' this aftn.

Pilawt said:
Have a good trip. Which San Diego-area airport are you using?

-- Pilawt

I believe Dave uses KSEE.

greg

Pilawt said:
Have a good trip. Which San Diego-area airport are you using?

-- Pilawt

KSEE--Gillespie!! It was visual yesterday. Could see it all the way from the Baret Intersection!

lancefisher said:
Have a Gami Christmas Dave!

Thanks Lance! The numbers were great on the trip!! Sure like 170 plus knot gound speeds where there are over 30 knot headwinds!!

35"; 2150; 15.5 gph trueing at 205 at 16000!! Did a lop climb and saved a lot of gas. Mr. P-Baron sure likes cold weather!!

Have a wonderful trip to Florida. Wish I was going out thata way, I'd sure make it a point to link up!!

Best,

Dave

Let'sgoflying! said:
I just checked the winds and if you stay below 150 there will hardly be a headwind Dave! The jet is nicely north and high, maybe it will move down for the return trip! I think you go to Brown, right?

Winds were between 20 and 35 knots at 16,000. The 396 didn't show much difference in certain locations. Of course, I lose a little TAS speed lower; so, a five or six not difference seems to pretty well balance out higher. There were some bumps fifty miles east of ELP; then, pretty smooth.

I noramally go into KSEE (Gillespie); it's closest to Dad

Have a great holiday, Dave

Paul Allen said:
We will let your liberal leaning slide for a week or so because of where you have been. After that you need to clean up your act. LOL

O.K. Paul. I see here today they've been trying to get folks out of trailers since 2003 that are on county parkland on leases that have expired (that wouldn't take long in Texas!!)

So, let's see, you let folks live somewhere cheap along the coast to be nice to 'em; then, when you ask them to leave, they sue you because when they leave there, they can't afford something comparable; and, you sould pay them more so that can live in the manner in which they've become accostomed? Intersting.

Merry Christmas

gkainz said:
Have fun and Merry Christmas. I can't say for certain that the last conservative left San Diego in 1990 when I moved to Colorado, but can't swear it's not the case, either. Actually, I take that back. My brother in law just got transfered to Miramar a few months ago, so there's at least one... (poor guy... AF MSgt on a Marine base ...)

Geesh Greg, could you tell me where he is? (Just in case I need a dose of the real world to get me through the week :yes: )

Oh! Forgot to mention, I'm on dial up while here.

Sure was excitin to come down the Loc D approach into KSEE yesterday. Normally, one has to really manage power to keep the airspeed down on this approach. One descends from 6600 feet at Baret down to about 387.

Since I could see the filed from Baret; I just nosed the Baron over at cruise power and did over 220 knot ground speeds all the way done to the marker (did reduce power on the way down), at the marker, I nosed it up to 176 knots for approach flaps and gear and came on in!!

What fun!

Last edited:
I love KSEE. It's my home base when I'm out that way.

Vlo 176? Wow o wow!

I'm somewhat familiar with that case of the state parks kicking folks out of their trailer park just north of Laguna. The whole thing started more than 40 years ago when the state displaced folks from their land for roads and utilities.

(an aside: the state and the Irvine family were in cahoots on some of this and they shared responsibility in how to 'manage' these pioneering land owners. Irvine was taking quiet title to much of land then deeding it to the state in turn for other favors. Lots of other actionable behavior back then.)

At that time there were difficulties in determining fair mkt value; also, some of those families were down right ornery and would not sell, so the state conceeded to move them onto this really swell semi-secret beach. Owner's right were non-transferrable and there were other deed restrictions. The settlement back then was to be in perpetuity, or as long as a family member remained alive.

Now and again there has been talk of a set term lease with the state but no one has been able to provide such a document although in the '70s the Irvine Co did try to coerce the owners into agreeing such a thing existed if they would only sign here..... What is interesting is that those owners can provide documents of the original agreement but various suits brought by different state agencies and othe interested parties have sought to dismiss the validity of those documents.

It's been an ongoing bloody mess for some of those families. Also, that beach was not even a part of the park system until very recently. Skulduggery and other shennanigans, including misleading stories supplied to the media, have permeated this story for many decades. At one point even the State and the Irvine Co were at odds which culminated in a decades long lawsuit.

The current issue is to determine the settlement now that the state wants to reneg on that prior settlement. But there is no majority within the owner's group because many want to stay and not cash out. As often is the case, how the story is reported is not a fair representation of the actual circumstance.

Last edited:
Richard:

This is a mobile home park in the city of San Diego. Low income program of some sort. City has offered lessees with agreements that ended in 2003 8,000 each to move out and they filed suit. Not enough to move and live comparably. City won on two counts, but others are still in litigation.

Interesting!!

I see you're in central CA; any chance you will be linking up with the group at PRB on Saturday? I should be heading up from Gillespie.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Richard:

This is a mobile home park in the city of San Diego. Low income program of some sort. City has offered lessees with agreements that ended in 2003 8,000 each to move out and they filed suit. Not enough to move and live comparably. City won on two counts, but others are still in litigation.
I know nothing about that case, but, like the recently executed gang member, it seems everyone now has the unfettered right to exhaustive appeals process. That is what happens when govt starts granting 'rights' (entitlements, really) to people. If the people do not have a legit claim to the land I say throw the bums out!

Interesting!!

I see you're in central CA; any chance you will be linking up with the group at PRB on Saturday? I should be heading up from Gillespie.

Dave
PRB is one of my home airports. Now that I hear you'll be planning on making it I am thinking I will probably go, I'd like to meet you and the P-Baron. How long could you stay? Maybe a good time to look at some GAMI data? Would it be too perverse to say I had been thinking of not going because of some of the people involved?

Richard said:
PRB is one of my home airports. Now that I hear you'll be planning on making it I am thinking I will probably go, I'd like to meet you and the P-Baron. How long could you stay? Maybe a good time to look at some GAMI data? Would it be too perverse to say I had been thinking of not going because of some of the people involved?['t/quote]

Well, I probably don't know any of the folks except from the board. Did ask another Bonanza guy if he can make if, but haven't heard back. Probably would stay a couple hours. Don't know if my Dad will ride along. If he does, he can't sit around a lot. Arida asked me. Don't know him, but it'd just be fun to meet some folks and chat. I have my laptop; can try to bring it. Ive got some data I've logged before GAMI's work. Would have to download the new data to compare. Can certainly 'xplain best I can what's goin on.

Look forward to seeing you there. My cell is 214.632.7132. I think we're going to Matthew's. Any thoughts on the IFR routing I may get up from here? Haven't done much tower to tower stuff and don't know this area like home.

Dave

Dave,

There is no TEC all the way as we will go to Center after Santa Barbara.

If there are no weather issues, I'd suggest the coastal route MZB V25 LAX V299 VTU V25 [RZS] PRB. FliteStar says about 264nm and 1:24 in a B58 Baron at 10K (MEA to RZS is about 6, after RZS it's 8.6). On clear days it's one of my favorite flights.

There are 3 GPS/VOR/VOR-DME approaches the lowest MDA is VOR DME or GPS RWY 19 1200 (390).

And yes we are planning on Matthew's.

Joe

ps. There are already commitments made not to talk politics. You and Richard will not be the only ones with conservative positions (at least by California standards, I'm not sure where I'd fit in Texas).

V25 all the way up the coast. It's about as direct as you can get. RV to OCN VOR on departure from SEE and you're on your way. V25 will take you right to PRB VOR. Matthew's restuarant is well worth the trip.

It's your call but see if you can get the RV OCN instead of the DP. I hesitate to tell anyone to avoid a DP but if you look at the routing and the MEFs you'll see what I mean. Besides, it's been my experience DEP controllers will offer the vectors anyway.

TEC routes really make it easy but V25 is such a straight shot. There is a new TRACON for us hayseeds north of Santa Barbara so it I think you'll find it very pleasant to work with since there is now much improved comms. It really is an uneventful route 'tween SEE and PRB although there will be some cool scenery. I doubt it will be hard IMC all the way.

No precision app at PRB, all approaches are predicated on the on field VOR but there are a couple GPS app available.

Areeda said:
Dave,

There is no TEC all the way as we will go to Center after Santa Barbara.

If there are no weather issues, I'd suggest the coastal route MZB V25 LAX V299 VTU V25 [RZS] PRB. FliteStar says about 264nm and 1:24 in a B58 Baron at 10K (MEA to RZS is about 6, after RZS it's 8.6). On clear days it's one of my favorite flights.

There are 3 GPS/VOR/VOR-DME approaches the lowest MDA is VOR DME or GPS RWY 19 1200 (390).

And yes we are planning on Matthew's.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Politics and religion (or lack thereof) aren't topics near and dear to me and definitely off limits when being social :D

Thanks Richard. I normally get and am prepared to fly the DP; Often when I check in with So Cal, they get me headed the right direction if I climb fast enough. I'll check the routing and so some homework.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
One the way to see my Dad in San Diego in the morning! (Peter Paul & Mary singin: Leavin in a prop plane; playing in the backgound).

Can hardly wait to get the P-baron up in the flight levels and see where it trues out after all the GAMI fine-tuning that was done last week!! Don't know if I'll be smiling more up there seeing what the Baron can do or on Sunday morning opening presents--but I have a good idea :D

Hope all have a happy and safe Christmas!!

Having lived in SD for several years, I have to question your definition of Liberal, or will you be rebelling against the conservative nature of the area?

Henning said:
Having lived in SD for several years, I have to question your definition of Liberal, or will you be rebelling against the conservative nature of the area?

Oh, don't take me seriously Henning! I was just kind of teasing and don't want to get into Red Board type stuff!! Folks are just different here and if one reads up on how the area was originally settled, where folks come from now, etc, it's quite understandable.

Folks here are real nice! They seem to live quite a bid differently with the price of housing and geographical differences, but the weather has been wonderful, great sun rises and sun sets and I just love being near the ocean. Since I'm not in the workforce here, I probably don't meet the community builders/leaders I'm used to in the Dallas area. Just social here. I really do like to visit and each place has its differences; thank heaven they're not all alike ;)

Back