San Diego 500' low altitude class B transition..

dtvonly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dtvonly
Hi. I saw a Youtube video about a sport star flying from John Wayne to Brown in San Diego. The pilot was able to fly a low altitude (500') transition through San Diego Intl class B just off the coast. I looked at San Diego TAC but did not find any notes on it that refers to this type of class B transition. How does one know about this low altitude class B transition? The FAA AF/D does not even show San Diego international. Please advise.

It's pretty easy, just call up SAN Tower (Lindbergh) a couple miles north of Crystal Pier (on the sectional) and ask for the coastal transition at 500. Once they clear you into the Bravo, they will hand you off to North Island tower pretty quickly so have your radios setup beforehand. When you contact North Island, just tell them you would like to do the bay tour. They will usually have you check in when rounding point loma, then you just fly dead center at 800' over the bay. A little before the bridge, they will ask your intentions (if you want to keep going south to Brown, turn around in south bay, etc).

That is the quick summary. Here is StinkBug's video he made when he did the tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N4LFVkO9m8

Its really easy, just have your frequencies dialed in beforehand to make it easier.

-Brian

Hi. I saw a Youtube video about a sport star flying from John Wayne to Brown in San Diego. The pilot was able to fly a low altitude (500') transition through San Diego Intl class B just off the coast. I looked at San Diego TAC but did not find any notes on it that refers to this type of class B transition. How does one know about this low altitude class B transition? The FAA AF/D does not even show San Diego international. Please advise.

Call and ask for a beach line transition below 500'. They'll normally let you through at or below 500' just offshore. Beware of Miramar as well.

Hey. That's me... :D

Hi. So you're the one. Yes the flight is very simple and straight forward, and fun, too. Can I also do this off shore at LAX?

I guess I am asking for a more generic Class B transition standard. Is there or are there (written) rules/regulations stating this type of class B transition? If so please provide references. Thank you.

LAX is trickier since the runways end right at the beach. If I was towing banners not during a push and called in around Palos Verdes, they would frequently work me through, otherwise it was spiral up to 2500' for the transition, then back down before the river to cover the MDR-Malibu sector.

Hi. So you're the one. Yes the flight is very simple and straight forward, and fun, too. Can I also do this off shore at LAX?

I guess I am asking for a more generic Class B transition standard. Is there or are there (written) rules/regulations stating this type of class B transition? If so please provide references. Thank you.

To my knowledge, there aren't any rules or regulations about this type of Class B transition. I just stumbled onto it, like you, and thought it'd be fun to try. Seems more like a local knowledge situation.

There's even another unwritten transition over San Diego International (KSAN, aka Lindbergh) called a "Delta Transition." It's a low level transition over the delta taxiway near the threshold of runway 27. Nothing written, to my knowledge, but you can find a few videos or general write-ups using Google.

In the videos I have seen, the pilot does the coastal transition through KSAN at 500, is then flying south in the bay at 800 while with North Island tower, does a 180 just past the Coronado bridge and climbs to 1500, and then goes back to KSAN's tower to coordinate the "delta transition".

Every B has its own standardized VFR procedures, That's why they make TCA charts and print them both sides. Make yourself familiar with it before flight.

If you don't see a route you want to fly printed there, ask ATC if they can work you through, they often will. You can improve your chances by calling ahead to the tower, explaining what you want to do, and asking them what time would stand the best chance of being able to do that.

ATC in most Class Bs will let you do a lot of things if you just ask. When I was doing aerial photo all over SoCal they were always accommodating in the Bs even when I had to shoot during pushes due to light conditions. Once they feel you're competent and cooperative to break off and follow instructions with no delay, and are carefull not to violate boundaries they assign, they pretty much quit worrying about you and would even work me in to get shots within the floor of final.

I believe there is also something similar along the beach just south of JFK to help VFR pilots fly between NJ and Long Island across the "super class bravo" that contains JFK, LGA and EWR.

It helps if you know the names that ATC uses for the unpublished routes. If you as for a "coastal transition" they will reply with "cleared through the SAN class B at or below 500' report OB pier" That one is really common and almost always granted unless they have other traffic doing the same thing in the opposite direction, in which case they'll tell you to stay clear until you have them in sight.

When they switch you to North Island you'll want to as for a "channel transition", which means you'll be rounding Point Loma and following the center of the bay all the way around to the bridge. If you ask for a bay tour you may get some more questioning because that means different things for different people. Sometimes they will give you the warning "do not overfly any naval vessels" which basically means stay over the water.

I made the video B17Rex posted just a couple months ago and I think it has all the usual ATC calls in it. If you wanna try the Delta transition it's pretty simple. Basically just turn around south of the bridge and climb to 1500' (I've gotten cleared at 1000' many times, but 1500' is standard) you'll fly right over the downtown buildings aligned with the big diagonal taxiway (twy D) and you should be headed right at the Mission Bay VOR.

Biggest thing is to have SAN and NZY tower frequencies setup in your radio ahead of time. It's a lot of switching back and forth. SAN 2-3mi N of Crystal Pier, NZY south of OB Pier, Back to SAN northbound at the bridge.

I believe there is also something similar along the beach just south of JFK to help VFR pilots fly between NJ and Long Island across the "super class bravo" that contains JFK, LGA and EWR.

There is a published SFRA along the Hudson River if that's what you're referring to. These SAN transitions are definitely not published anywhere that I know of (at least not any official publications). I don't think there are any common clearances like this for LAX either.

Back