San Antonio to eastern Iowa - Where to stop?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
We will be flying back up to Iowa tomorrow. We have about 5 hrs of flying to spread across the entire day.

Are there any 'cool' places to stop at along the way? I was thinking of deviating over to Sikeston, MO to take Rachel to Lambert's for herst time. Anything else/better along the way for us to check out on the way home?

I attached a map of our route to give an idea of where we'll be going.

Ideas?

attachment.php

Attachments

• gcmap.gif
    gcmap.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 125
Williamsport is only a slight detour. ;)

were soooo helpful

hey! you could stop at diana's farm (if she invites you)

It's not perfectly on the way back, but I had some really good sweet potato fries at the diner near Lamoni airport in Lamoni, IA. It's a short walk off-field. Looks a bit west of course for ya though.

I'm easily entertained when I XC through the flyover states. :D

Unrelated, but - did you eat at the Saltlick? How was it? Did you ask for Rachael? :p

Sikeston came to my mind too! (though it's probably a little late now). And definitely stop in and see your friends along the way!

Unrelated, but - did you eat at the Saltlick? How was it? Did you ask for Rachael? :p

No. :( We didn't make it up to Austin on this trip - we spent more time than expected in the hill country. We'll be back, though. :yes:

theres always wichita

That was one of our first considerations. ;)

:) I just now saw this thread. Yes, you're invited! :yes:

Thanks for the offer! We ended up changing plans (see below), but we'll be making that trip lots of times so we'll have to plan a time when we can spend an afternoon there or something! :yes:

Don't forget me, Jim Shawley, Tim Winters and others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Noted for future trips!

Sikeston came to my mind too! (though it's probably a little late now). And definitely stop in and see your friends along the way!

Well, we ended up changing plans completely. We got up a little late yesterday morning (late night of Wii ;)) and headed to the airport. We were literally sitting in the gas station across from the airport and we decided we didn't want to leave the gorgeous weather yet so we decided to go to Sea World for the day. :D I called the airline (me) and said we weren't ready to leave yet. They (I) said "No problem, sir, your plane will be ready when you're ready to depart." ;) So we headed back in to San Antonio and went to see Shamu. :D It was GORGEOUS weather! 83*F and sunny with a light breeze. We finally got back to the airport around 6pm but had to wait for the fuel tanker to top-off the tank farm. We FINALLY departed Castroville (KCVB) at 7pm. After 2.4hrs of pure VFR, we stopped in Okmulgee (KOKM) for fuel and then another 2.4hrs of VFR with tailwinds to Muscatine (KMUT). Hopped in the car and drove back to Ames (~3hrs drive) to get home and in bed around 3:30am this morning.

It was a great trip going-and-coming and in-between. :) We'll have to plan in the future to make some 'visiting' stops along the way.

Chris, your story demonstrates the beauty of GA. Fly where you want, when you want, on your schedule not someone else's. Sounds like a great day and flight back! But really, we all like stalking eachother on FlightAware. So next time, pick up flight following, would you? ;)

There's really only one possibility. Stop in Springfield at take in the Bass Pro Shop. You were considering anything else?:rofl:

There's really only one possibility. Stop in Springfield at take in the Bass Pro Shop. You were considering anything else?:rofl:

Been there, done that. ;)

By the way, we're getting a Bass Pro Shop up here in Des Moines. Might even be open this summer!

Been there, done that. ;)

By the way, we're getting a Bass Pro Shop up here in Des Moines. Might even be open this summer!
We've got a Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook, across from the Ikea. Clow has a courtesy car! (We've actually had people fly in already to use the courtesy car to go to Ikea.)

We've got a Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook, across from the Ikea. Clow has a courtesy car! (We've actually had people fly in already to use the courtesy car to go to Ikea.)

And no one has yet driven themselves off a bridge after trying to put together an Ikea piece??

To the OP: Don't stop -- keep flying until you reach civilization!

:D

And no one has yet driven themselves off a bridge after trying to put together an Ikea piece??

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Must have been the Duzntfit storage center, huh? :D

Assembling Barbie furniture is a pleasure compared to that Ikea garbage...

Trapper John

Back