Same school, 141 or 61 for ppl?

uncreative

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Uncreative
The school I am using for my flight training offers part 141 or 61 for ppl. They won't come out and say it, but I feel like they prefer the 141 route. I have already gone through the Jeppensen book and have taken dauntless practice tests and am ready to take the written, so I feel that the ground school portion of 141 would be redundant. I have less than 3 hours of flight time so far logged at a different school. The only thing I can see in the pro column for 141 would be I do my checkride with the chief pilot vs the dpe, saving a few hundred $$.

I feel that with 61, if I decide to jump ship for whatever reason, I can take the hours with me. My understanding is that it doesn't work that way with 141. Does anyone have advice?

Thanks!

If you leave your 141 midway and go to a 61 to complete, your hours flown under that 141 are still valid, so in your terms, you can indeed take these hours with you. If you go from one 141 to another, I'm not sure.

If your CFI is cool then part 61 is better, you can stop for lunch and mix things up as needed. If your CFI is just going to follow the 141 syllabus anyway it probably doesn't matter.

If jump 141 to a different 141 you can recieve only up to 50% credit for training already recieved.
Close. You can only receive credit for 50% of the total required hours, not 50% of your past training. Thus, if you did 20 hours towards PP-Airplane at one 141 school, you can only get credit for up to 17.5 hours (50% of the required 35 total) at another, and will have to fly at least 17.5 more at the second school.

In any event, if you're training for PP-Airplane, unless you have a particular reason for doing it under 141 (such as a funding requirement like VA), and the school offers both options, there is little if any advantage to you for doing it under 141. However, the school is strongly motivated to maximize enrollments in their 141 program, since they have to get a certain number of completions every two years to renew their 141 certificate.

I've found the best schools for getting you through quickly without a lot of disappointment are schools with a time schedule and the school has a close relationship with the Designated Examiner (even being owned by one, if that's legal).
I didn't do my private or instrument that way, but did for my CFI and knew people who did and they got through with less hassle. For sure you want a school that is committed to signing you off for the tests (once you are ready). There are some instructors who are reluctant to sign off ANYBODY, they just shuttle you off after a while and leave you hanging. Don't get stuck with one of those. Ask the instructor how many students he has signed off before you for the rating you are after. Basically, if you LIKE the instructor, go for it with him (or her).

Ask the school which is better, part 61 or 141. There are things that matter, but what matters is the instruction, equipment, and who is DE. It can be done under either part. Also, if there is a deadline, that actually helps push the whole process.

Back