Sailor roll call!

Congratulations! :drink:

Looks like you will have a few adventures next summer.

Thanks! :drink::drink:

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm guessing that I'll mostly be just day sailing, but we'll see... A weekend trip across the lake may be in my future.

Just curious really.

How many Sailors do we have on this forum?

My Wife and I have a S2-9.2C that we are in the process of re-furbishing.

Someday (soon I hope!) we will re-launch her in San Diego.

Her name is: "SevenSundays"

Just came across an appropriate picture while I was just filing away my new issue of my license. She's the Lady Ada, a 1903 79' LOD Lester Stone schooner. She was a wedding present to the daughter, damn I forget the family name, it was a big paper name, Z I think, in the PNW (It's hell getting old). She was sweet under sail and hell under power (she was built a virgin and had an offset scew installed, so you had to literally stand on the wheel under power), she was our little boat, and everyone loved to sail her. I used to gust sail her in and out of her slip she was so nimble and backed under sail better than power. She was one of the boats I started in this business on 20 years ago back in the day when we had to take the Coast Guard for a ride for our passenger certificate, and our personal/professional licenses were free (Just paid over $345 all in for my 5 year renewal.), sigh.

Oh well, If I could have her and a Beech 18, I could live of the income they make me. I'd be poor, but I wouldn't mind.

(Note to Harley: It's a funky scan from an old color laser copy I did 10 years ago from a Ektalure & Selinum print I did. It's just totally lost it. Wish I had that neg back.)

Lady Ada.jpg

Great Pic of the Lady, Lili Fabian took that picture while we we running around the marks getting tuned up for the schooner association race in Long Beach. I was the Captain from 77 to 83, We prolly replaced half the wood on the boat in that time. The Zellerbauck's (sp) built her. She's in a warehouse in Bakersfield getting a full zoot redo I hear. I wondered who Eddie sold her to after I left. Oh yeah, the helicopter story was pretty good too.

fchild

Great Pic of the Lady, Lili Fabian took that picture while we we running around the marks getting tuned up for the schooner association race in Long Beach. I was the Captain from 77 to 83, We prolly replaced half the wood on the boat in that time. The Zellerbauck's (sp) built her. She's in a warehouse in Bakersfield getting a full zoot redo I hear. I wondered who Eddie sold her to after I left. Oh yeah, the helicopter story was pretty good too.

fchild

Eddie sold to a guy who has the thing completely dissassembled out there in the desert doing a complete rebuild. Ranger is in the same condition down in Panama, and Spooky sunk Diosa Del Mar on the reef at the Isthmus.

Weinberg's Navy '86-'89

Woody, my wife and i have done SW Harbor ME to Hamilton Bermuda and back before kids- Hunter 28.5! That was a trip....

But now landlocked in the green water rivers....just the air. I did find my 20 ton CG license in a file the other day........sigh.

Eddie sold to a guy who has the thing completely dissassembled out there in the desert doing a complete rebuild. Ranger is in the same condition down in Panama, and Spooky sunk Diosa Del Mar on the reef at the Isthmus.

Weinberg's Navy '86-'89

I heard that the Ranger sank on the hook down south in 05, the owner planned to bring her up, sure hope he did. Darn shame about the Diosa, she was a real fun to race back in the day when all the bigs showed up for the events, it sure didn’t take the local vultures long to pick her bones clean. I have fond memories of sailing her between Molokai and Maui with a busted rudder and 20+ knots of wind, can you say runaway train? We got it fixed just in time to drop the hook in Lahina and catch the Super bowl.
Regards…….TB

"He who would go to sea for pleasure would go to Hell for a pastime..." (and Aviation is even worse)

Owned a sailboat rental & school on the NW Oregon coast for a few years. Catamarans & pacific dory sailboats offshore & on the bays, day & night. It got so we wouldn't even go out unless a half gale was blowing. Various other medium and small monohulls and large multihulls on Puget Sound.

Don't want to return to sea until I've evolved full amphibion flight capabilities!

Last edited:
I heard that the Ranger sank on the hook down south in 05, the owner planned to bring her up, sure hope he did.

I saw Eddie last summer, and he had pictures of Ranger stripped to bare bones and starting to go back together in Panama.

:)
Once or twice.
Mr.Henning?Please to meet you.I don't know if we know one another so I'll just get to the point.Here @ Sailors Roll Call,you wrote a reply or post? concerning Eddie Weinberg and his 3 Schooners: The Lady Ada,98' staysail schooner,The Ranger(which was actually 103' long built in 1914 with a cement Hull) and the Diosa Del Mar(built in 1898)I never did get to actually see the diosa in person.I worked and lived on the Ranger back in 1980-1982.Towards my departure from such a good life,was when Eddie Took his 1st Mate scott to Hawaii with him .In order to sail the Diosa back to Ports 'O' Call Village,in San Pedro,Ca.I have been trying to track down anyone from back then for the past ,oh..20 years or so..offf and on.I would appreciate it if you might consider possibly contacting me for a simple discussion.It would help me out immensly,sir.I await your answer.Sincerley,the Doorman:goofy:

I saw Eddie last summer, and he had pictures of Ranger stripped to bare bones and starting to go back together in Panama.
WHen got out of the US Army in 1987,I had stopped by to see Eddie.He had told me then that he was selling the Lady and the diosa and Planned on around the world Sailing Charters.Asked me if I wanted my old job back,I said sure but had to stop in to see my Aunt and I'd be back in a few days.My Aunt had found my Father(whom We hadn't seen nor heard from in 18 years)So I flipped a coin either sail with Eddie or Fly to see my Dad.pops won.Ever since that happened I have been trying to locate Eddie.Especially since my Pops passed away in 05.Im jst trying to contact him.Smiles..he'd remember me all right.My Name is Bruce.I approached him the first time looking for work,From San Diego.He let Scott,his first mate ,hire me and a friend of mine.Lol..my friend didnt last a week and I stayed for longer than a year.When they hired me?He was just pulling the Ranger into drydock that very next morning.On top of the regular repairs,we had a charter from Scotsdale,Arizona.we was 48 hours late picking up our part of the charter.But the Lady,she took the lot of em over to Catalina till we could meet up.Sorry to ramble.My email is :tennesseeghost@yahoo.com.Please contact me at your earliest convienance.Thank you.

WHen got out of the US Army in 1987,I had stopped by to see Eddie.He had told me then that he was selling the Lady and the diosa and Planned on around the world Sailing Charters.Asked me if I wanted my old job back,I said sure but had to stop in to see my Aunt and I'd be back in a few days.My Aunt had found my Father(whom We hadn't seen nor heard from in 18 years)So I flipped a coin either sail with Eddie or Fly to see my Dad.pops won.Ever since that happened I have been trying to locate Eddie.Especially since my Pops passed away in 05.Im jst trying to contact him.Smiles..he'd remember me all right.My Name is Bruce.I approached him the first time looking for work,From San Diego.He let Scott,his first mate ,hire me and a friend of mine.Lol..my friend didnt last a week and I stayed for longer than a year.When they hired me?He was just pulling the Ranger into drydock that very next morning.On top of the regular repairs,we had a charter from Scotsdale,Arizona.we was 48 hours late picking up our part of the charter.But the Lady,she took the lot of em over to Catalina till we could meet up.Sorry to ramble.My email is :tennesseeghost@yahoo.com.Please contact me at your earliest convienance.Thank you.

I replied in another thread as well he's at Newmark's Marina in Wilmington on an old 43' Egg Harbor. Diosa is on the bottom at Catalina. I was about to send you an email with his phone number, but the other day I had to change sim cards and they lost a bunch of stuff.

Little Scotty is married with 3 or 4 kids last I heard... Or are you talking about Scott Holcomb (big guy)?

Last edited:
I own a 1967 Pearson Coaster. 30' With a full keel and a 25hp inboard. For sale if anyone wants it!

My dad has a 43' Beneteau I have alot of time on.

Based in the chesapeake bay but I have alot of experience elsewhere.

Recently I have gotten more into fishing. We have a 24' Pro-line. I've actually made money fishing this year! I won a large local tournament.. the chesapeake bay's oldest.. the reedville bluefish derby

And I actually had a short stint as a mate on the Manitou. A successful ocean racer built in 1938 by Sparkman and Stephens, it was acquired by JFK to be his official yacht while he was president. An absolute joy to sail. I was hired to take her out on a photoshoot for coastal living magazine after she was restored in Solomon's, MD. Many folks probably saw it sitting as a museum piece in Annapolis.

mansial_937640.jpg

n1403430025_30122084_6282.jpg

090831manitou.jpg

And I actually had a short stint as a mate on the Manitou. A successful ocean racer built in 1938 by Sparkman and Stephens, it was acquired by JFK to be his official yacht while he was president. An absolute joy to sail. I was hired to take her out on a photoshoot for coastal living magazine after she was restored in Solomon's, MD. Many folks probably saw it sitting as a museum piece in Annapolis.

Got me beat. The Sparkman and Stephens designed boat I race wasn't built until 1946 and was never owned by anyone famous. But we do have a bunch of Port Huron - Mackinac race wins. She has made the trek 65 times now.

SAM_1119.JPG

And, I no longer own a boat. I spent too much time sailing on other peoples boats and the "honey do" list so my boat never got used. But now I own an airplane. Hmmm. How does that make sense?

Last edited:
I had enough of real boats in my first couple of years as a PuddlePirate.

Another Coastie? I'm at Sector Hampton Roads working the SAR desk.

As far as Sailing
CVN-71 98-2002
CGC Gallatin 2005-2008
19ft Wellcraft 2008-2011 and want another boat soon!!

Here, 2 boats, 1980 Hunter 27 and a 1996 Hobie Wave.

IMG_0747.jpg

H27157.jpg

1000islands082.jpg

1000islands016.jpg

Last edited:
And, I no longer own a boat. I spent too much time sailing on other peoples boats and the "honey do" list so my boat never got used. But now I own an airplane. Hmmm. How does that make sense?

I'm the same, I don't own a boat even though I make my living with them. I do own an airplane though. It's a lot easier to afford than a boat as well.

1964 Herreshoff Ketch, and I'm an ASA certified instructor, although I haven't done any teaching in years.

Back