Safran SMA Diesel--retrofitting possible?

WhiskeyPapa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WhiskeyPapa
Over engine life, these diesels might offer enough savings on fuel to justify an upgrade (depending on what it cost)… would anyone look at this? Any ideas on what it would cost to put this into an older 182, if possible?

"The 227 horsepower SMA engine burns 11 gallons per hour, or about 30 to 40 percent less fuel than comparable avgas engines. Estimated range at max cruise speed is an 1,025 nm. The certified ceiling will be 20,000 feet, while estimated useful load is 1,018 pounds."
Read more at

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/pistons/cessna-182-jt-certification-imminent#wDtBpFSuxLyp8fp6.99

The STC for that engine in a 182 has been available around a decade if not more. I would consider them for the 310 if a set of 300+HP Diesels don't show up.

The 182 STC is for the Q model only, IIRC. Did some work on one three years ago. SMA had plenty of teething problems, and this one was one of the first generation versions. Lots of stuff needed fixing.

They burn about 8 gph in cruise, not 11.

Dan

The 182 STC is for the Q model only, IIRC. Did some work on one three years ago. SMA had plenty of teething problems, and this one was one of the first generation versions. Lots of stuff needed fixing.

They burn about 8 gph in cruise, not 11.

Dan

How much would it cost all in?

How much would it cost all in?

Three or four years ago it was north of $100K. You have to want a diesel pretty badly. They make more sense in some areas (such as Africa and South America) where Avgas is rare and expensive.

Dan

Three or four years ago it was north of $100K.

Is this simply a function of economy of scale, or are there technical complexities that make it so expensive? Diesel sure seems like a good alternative to 100LL, but beyond reading a few articles in Pilot about it, I don't know much about the technology in GA applications.

Is this simply a function of economy of scale, or are there technical complexities that make it so expensive? Diesel sure seems like a good alternative to 100LL, but beyond reading a few articles in Pilot about it, I don't know much about the technology in GA applications.

SMA spent one billion dollars developing that thing. That's what they told us, anyway. They're a part of a much bigger outfit that can afford to spend money like that, but they also want to recoup those costs. When I was involved with that one airplane there were only 50 flying worldwide. It will take a long time to get the R&R back at that rate, especially because the $100K includes the labor, mount, plumbing, everything. Maybe Continental can do it for less, but it will never be an O-470 price.

Dan

In Europe, 100LL is running about 2.7 Euros per liter. That means 10.2 Euros per gallon. Or 13.87 USD per gallon. (US-based pilots, please stop bitching about cost of flying or I may make use of liberal gun laws next time I show up!!! :D)

Diesel is running about 1.5 Euros per liter. Not sure on Jet A. Point is that in a place like Europe 6 USD per gallon savings is realistic with a different engine. Assume, you consume 12 gallons per hour=$ 72 in savings per hour. 100 hours = $ 7,200 or 1000 hours $ 72,000.

And that's without counting the greater fuel efficiency of the newer engines. I suspect you get close to recovery of the full cost of the upgrade within 1000 hours. (Edit…before seeing Henning's remarks!)

That's back of the envelope but gives you an idea of how these upgrades can make sense.

BTW another alternative is non-ethanol Mogas, which seems more readily available in Europe in the US (and is showing up at more airports).

Last edited:
In Europe, 100LL is running about 2.7 Euros per liter. That means 10.2 Euros per gallon. Or 13.87 USD per gallon. (US-based pilots, please stop bitching about cost of flying or I may make use of liberal gun laws next time I show up!!! :D)

Diesel is running about 1.5 Euros per liter. Not sure on Jet A. Point is that in a place like Europe 6 USD per gallon savings is realistic with a different engine. Assume, you consume 12 gallons per hour=$ 72 in savings per hour. 100 hours = $ 7,200 or 1000 hours $ 72,000.

That's back of the envelope but gives you an idea of how these upgrades can make sense.

Without a doubt, (although you forgot that your fuel burn decreases from 12gph-8gph, so there's another 33%). The real advantage to having a Diesel burner though is the ability to run algae oil without having to refine it to gasoline, there is already a Jet-A approved algae fuel.

With an algae oil engine, you can grow your own fuel supply.

Here's the real question, can you combine the SMA with the Katmai conversion on the 182? That canard helps everything about that airframe from low speed handling and a nice balanced yoke pull to efficiency in cruise.

Last edited:
With an algae oil engine, you can grow your own fuel supply.

Here's the real question, can you combine the SMA with the Katmai conversion on the 182? That canard helps everything about that airframe from low speed handling and a nice balanced yoke pull to efficiency in cruise.

I think I recall you can install a canard without the full Katmai upgrade (on a stock 182 anyway).

I think I recall you can install a canard without the full Katmai upgrade (on a stock 182 anyway).

That would be your machine, the Petersen airframe conversion and the Continental/SMA engine.

Either that or stick it in an early Bonanza, I bet Continental would be helpful developing the STC as there is a pretty good market potential. Think of a full load of fuel with the Osbourne tip tanks what kind of range you would have. With a Speed Slope windshield and an older, lighter airframe you would have a great 150kt traveller at 8gph.

And that's without counting the greater fuel efficiency of the newer engines. I suspect you get close to recovery of the full cost of the upgrade within 1000 hours. (Edit…before seeing Henning's remarks!)

BTW another alternative is non-ethanol Mogas, which seems more readily available in Europe in the US (and is showing up at more airports).

And then there is the push by the environmentalists here in the US that want to eliminate leaded avgas - very quickly. Such engines might be mandated.

And then there is the push by the environmentalists here in the US that want to eliminate leaded avgas - very quickly. Such engines might be mandated.

Unleaded avgas is in the works. It will show up soon enough, though its availability will probably accelerate the ban on 100LL.

Dan

Now that SMA have licenced their Generation 2 engine for the factory-new C182, they are no longer providing engines for retrofits. They are still supporting the existing fleet but very grudgingly. They are sending very strong signals of not wanting anything to do with individuals or small organisations at all any more; if you're not a big player like Cessna, you might as well not bother talking to them.

Gen 1 engine had a terrible alternator setup that we found to fail about every 50 hours. Sure hope they've improved on that.

Unleaded avgas is in the works. It will show up soon enough, though its availability will probably accelerate the ban on 100LL.

Dan

Most likely expensive enough to pay for the conversion in short order....

Does the turbo enable this diesel to make better power at altitude? More cost savings if you can make reasonable cruise power at 18,000 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the turbo enable this diesel to make better power at altitude? More cost savings if you can make reasonable cruise power at 18,000 ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo diesels work somewhere between a traditional turbo aircraft engine and a naturally aspirated engine in altitude performance. Because they run such high manifold pressures, the turbo runs maxes out early on.

I don't see diesels being mandated for the legacy fleet. The markets will turn all new planes diesel on their own.

Once an unleaded 100LL replacement is blessed by the FAA, I expect 100LL to go away in about a year, maybe 2.

Turbo diesels work somewhere between a traditional turbo aircraft engine and a naturally aspirated engine in altitude performance. Because they run such high manifold pressures, the turbo runs maxes out early on.
Cessna's website for 182 JT-A says " Critical altitude (ft): 10,000", "Maximum Operating Altitude: 20,000 ft". Does not seem like an airplane for cruising in flight levels.

Last edited:
Cessna's website for 182 JT-A says " Critical altitude (ft): 10,000", "Maximum Operating Altitude: 20,000 ft". Does not seem like an airplane for cruising in flight levels.

That was pretty much my point. A normal turbo Lycontisaur has a critical altitude between 15-25k ft. That's just where you can no longer make max rated power/manifold pressure.

So, a Lycoming T182 might do better above 10k ft into the flight levels, but do you really want to fly a 182 that high? Seems kind of silly most of the time.

That was pretty much my point. A normal turbo Lycontisaur has a critical altitude between 15-25k ft. That's just where you can no longer make max rated power/manifold pressure.

So, a Lycoming T182 might do better above 10k ft into the flight levels, but do you really want to fly a 182 that high? Seems kind of silly most of the time.

Not unless way up in the mountains. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up 2 staging the Diesels with a gear or belt drive supercharger with a stacked turbo. Also helps your restart altitude.

Not unless way up in the mountains. Wouldn't surprise me if they end up 2 staging the Diesels with a gear or belt drive supercharger with a stacked turbo. Also helps your restart altitude.

I have felt that a 2-stage sequential forced induction diesel will be needed, especially if they want to get into pressurized planes like Malibus, 414/421s, etc. I like the turbo/supercharger setup. Let a turbo feed a supercharger.

I have felt that a 2-stage sequential forced induction diesel will be needed, especially if they want to get into pressurized planes like Malibus, 414/421s, etc. I like the turbo/supercharger setup. Let a turbo feed a supercharger.

Been doing it on airplanes since before WWII, no sense stopping.

The new Volvo S6 power plant is that setup. 304 HP, IIRC out of 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.

John

Not unless way up in the mountains.

I once checked the highest airports in Europe. The highest - period - airport was only 6000 ft or so, or a whole lot lower than Taos where my puny 56 hp Carlson managed to visit easily, in the summer. The second highest was about 4500 or so, lower than my home base.

If they are going to export that 182 to Europe, existing turbo is all they need.

Back