Safety pilots and landing currency

poadeleted20

Deleted
Finally got the response to a request I made a few months ago. The FAA says that despite the interpretations on instructors and trainees not having to meet the landing currency rules for flight with passengers, if you're going out to get some simulated instrument time with a safety pilot, the PIC must be current for flight with a passenger. The logic is that you'll have the hood off during landing and takeoff, and then the second pilot isn't required and becomes a passenger.

This interpretation (that when you take a non-CFI pilot up as a safety pilot there's a passenger in the airplane) is news to somebody?

Sorry Greg, its something that has been building in me for some time now. No offense to Ron, really has nothing to do with this topic, probably needs a new thread.

But, it is driving me nuts that we have the FAA and other regulatory bodies micromanaging every twist of the throttle, every stroll on the ramp, even washing of airplanes.......to such that aviating has become more of a contorted legal maneuver than the joy that it could be.

Tell me about it. :mad3:

Sorry Greg, its something that has been building in me for some time now. No offense to Ron, really has nothing to do with this topic, probably needs a new thread.

But, it is driving me nuts that we have the FAA and other regulatory bodies micromanaging every twist of the throttle, every stroll on the ramp, even washing of airplanes.......to such that aviating has become more of a contorted legal maneuver than the joy that it could be.

The amateur radio approach was (is?) NEVER ASK. If the FCC is not happy, they will let you know. Otherwise - no harm, no foul.

Finally got the response to a request I made a few months ago. The FAA says that despite the interpretations on instructors and trainees not having to meet the landing currency rules for flight with passengers, if you're going out to get some simulated instrument time with a safety pilot, the PIC must be current for flight with a passenger. The logic is that you'll have the hood off during landing and takeoff, and then the second pilot isn't required and becomes a passenger.
"The PIC"??? Which PIC, the person acting as PIC or the person(s) logging PIC?

Don't worry, the EPA is already moving to have "approved wash racks" at airports that meet their requirements for proper disposal of the wast water.:frown2:

Well I know I'll sleep better at night now......................

Don't worry, the EPA is already moving to have "approved wash racks" at airports that meet their requirements for proper disposal of the wast water.:frown2:

Yeah, I'd love to see that at some of the remote airports with which I am familiar...

Back