safety pilot

ry2808

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ryan
Can a person qualify as a safety pilot in a type plane they haven't flown in 15-20 years? They are activly flying, but in a piper for the last 5-10 years with a private cert. Everything is current with their med and pilot cert. I would like for them to be a safety pilot in a 172 if it is legal?..being that they havent flown a 172 in 15-20 years

Sure. The idea is you watch out for traffic, which looks the same whether seen from a Piper or a Cessna.

You need Category, Class and Type (if required) ratings. Presuming you're not dealing with a turbojet, or a plane over 12,500 lbs, type is generally irrelevant.

Can a person qualify as a safety pilot in a type plane they haven't flown in 15-20 years? They are activly flying, but in a piper for the last 5-10 years with a private cert. Everything is current with their med and pilot cert. I would like for them to be a safety pilot in a 172 if it is legal?..being that they havent flown a 172 in 15-20 years
Yes. As long as the pilot is rated for category and class. There is no type rating on a 172 - so type does not matter.

You need Category, Class and Type (if required) ratings. Presuming you're not dealing with a turbojet, or a plane over 12,500 lbs, type is generally irrelevant.
Yeah, they did their training in a 172 many many years ago. Now they fly a piper archor but haven't flown a 172 in 15-20 years. Just making sure they can still be a legal safety pilot in a 172 being they haven't actually flown one in a long long while

Yeah, they did their training in a 172 many many years ago. Now they fly a piper archor but haven't flown a 172 in 15-20 years. Just making sure they can still be a legal safety pilot in a 172 being they haven't actually flown one in a long long while
They can legally climb into the 172 and fly it as PIC if they so choose.

They can legally climb into, and fly, any airplane of their certificates category and class (although they may need an endorsement if its complex, hp, or tailwheel). Regardless of how much time they have in that aircraft.

I've never flown a Pitts. But I could legally go fly one if I so choose (although it'd be stupid without regaining tailwheel currency).

I've never flown a Pitts. But I could legally go fly one if I so choose (although it'd be stupid without regaining tailwheel currency).
Flying it would be OK - even I can do that. Landing would be the fun part...

But as long as the safety pilot has his/her/it's medcial, you are good to go.

Legally, you could train in a 150, get your HP/Complex in a 182 retract, then jump in a PC12 in the left seat and fly it up to 17,500...

Legally, you could train in a 150, get your HP/Complex in a 182 retract, then jump in a PC12 in the left seat and fly it up to 17,500...
Not true. They'd need a high altitude endorsement to fly the PC12. It's certified up to FL300. See FAR 61.31(g).

They can legally climb into the 172 and fly it as PIC if they so choose.

They can legally climb into, and fly, any airplane of their certificates category and class (although they may need an endorsement if its complex, hp, or tailwheel). Regardless of how much time they have in that aircraft.

With a current medical and flight review ;)

61.3 and 61.56

Here is a thing I made back when I was doing flight instruction. Maybe it can be useful to someone:

SafetyPilot.jpg

Back