Safety of Aerobatics?

Just read from the pilot that prelim investigation points to failure of the right wing first, then complete firewall/engine separation.

2ik2rsh.jpg

Last edited:
We're gonna need a bigger buffer.

The reason my post was edited it because I first had typed the wing, then went over to IAC's site and it said the engine. I came back and changed it. I KNEW I had read it was the wing. These days, I am loosing a little confidence in my memory. Thank you Wifferdill!

Sorry, but it sounds like you have little familiarity and no experience with competition acro. There are five categories of varying difficulty and complexity - from Citabrias doing basic loops and Cubans at 3500' AGL to Unlimited monoplanes pulling 10G under 500' AGL. Competition acro has an extremely good safety record. I'm only aware of two fatalities occurring during a contest since the inception of IAC in 1972. One was a structural failure about 40 years ago involving a Stits airplane not really designed for acro, and the other was Vicki Cruse who experienced a mechanical problem with the rudder pedal extensions in her Edge 540 during a 2009 flight at Worlds. In the past 10 years, I know of three other fatalities occurring during competition acro practice - two control system failures (Harmon Rocket and MX-S) and a Canadian crossover spin fatality in a Pitts S-1S, which was a training/experience issue. The sport is very structured and safety oriented. So when I hear people who have no experience with the sport spreading misconceptions (I've seen this countless times), I try to provide direct experience and accurate information. There is a lot of value in hooking up with your local IAC chapter to take advantage of the experience available. 'Assimilate' into the culture of safe aerobatics.

That being said, there are multiple factors that contribute to aerobatic safety. Training is number one. Aerobatic spin training is very important. Going up with the local CFI for a few spins in a 172 doesn't come close to cutting it. Attitude is important. So is altitude. The pilots who stay alive in the long run are the ones who don't fly at altitudes insufficient for their skill level. The unwaivered legal acro floor is 1500' AGL, which is too low for many pilots, depending on the maneuvering.

It's important to separate low level airshow accidents from aerobatics in general. I pay close attention to all aerobatic accidents. Airshows aside, by far the leading cause of acro fatalities is failed maneuvers at an altitude insufficient for recovery...or insufficient for their skill level. A large percentage of the crashes I've seen involve some type of low level snap roll, spin, or tumble. There have been lots of spin accidents over the years which could have been prevented with advanced acro spin training. Aerobatic spin training has come a long way in the past 40 years.

A small percentage of accidents are attributable to engine failures, with an ever smaller percentage being airframe/control system failures and medical/physiological issues. Good maintenance is very important for acro planes. I also like to fly acro over a spot where I could make a safe emergency landing if needed. For me, the chute is for catastrophic airframe failure. Bailing out is not without significant risk.

Don't fly if you're sick or dehydrated, and be careful of certain medications and how they may affect you. IAC ran a story in the magazine about a young Pitts pilot who lost his life flying after a bout of sickness and dehydration. This severely limits G-tolerance, and he lost consciousness and crashed during what would have otherwise been a normal flight for him.

It goes without saying that aerobatics shouldn't be performed in aircraft not suitable for whatever maneuver you wish to perform. Don't make the Darwin list. There is no such thing as safe or unsafe. But nearly all aerobatic pilots who have the right training and attitude live a long life and die of non-flying causes.
A Citabria at 3000 feet with an experienced instructor is a good place to start. You may find that your question answers itself!

Love the attitude, Henning. I absolutely agree with the spirit of it. The only other qualification that I would is that with a wife and three kids, the balance is no longer just about my experiences and enjoyment, but balancing those things against my responsibility to them.
Absolutely, I was a total adrenaline junkie, professional race Driver, shipwrecked around the world sailor, and ,of course, the stunt flying stuff. Then a miracle appeared, at 40, I became a full time single father. Risk adverse is an understatement. What was an adrenaline rush became stress, I totally understood my role on earth was to protect my daughter. Now, she is 25 and I am a new Grandpa. I have done my best and very pleased! BUT perhaps Grandpa can put the pedal to the metal, metaphorically of course!

I'm a 400 hour private pilot. I save up money to fly aerobatics in Pitts and Extras when ever I get the chance.

The way I see it, aerobatics is just a different perspective on managing momentum, not all that different from flying gliders or herding a 747 full of passengers all the way down to a nice gentle touchdown.

Since I'm not flying airshows at low altitude, I feel pretty safe knowing that the airplanes I'm flying in are built for way more Gs than I'm going to pull on purpose. The only thing I have to pay a little more attention to is staying above my "hard deck" and using the skills I've been taught so as not to over-stress the airplane when I *#@^ up.
Ten-Four! Planes generally have more tolerance than we do as pilots. Attitude plus altitude should work!

Back