Safe or Not? (Legal or Not?)

I think it's fine, and in an accident the kid acts as an airbag.

I was guessing Henning would replay with a Darwinian processes reference, but this works too.

It is incredibly irresponsible & probably illegal, but Darwin often catches up to folks like this. People like this are why regulations get written, but regs only help people who want to learn from other people's mistakes.

Does anyone know if there's a kit for Cherokee's to add a middle/3rd seat/lap belt? I have 3 kids and a wife so we're short one spot. My youngest is 3 so lap carrying him in the back is out of regs...curious if folks are putting belts in the back of a 152...is there one for a Cherokee 235?

I'd thought having a ten pound parasite attached to your chest(and wallet) would be disqualifying. Maybe she can get a SI in 18 years.:D
My only concern would be sumping the tanks/handling 100LL around the kid, and noise depends how long the flight is.

Hmm. I wonder how many people saying it's unsafe, if traveling on commercial, would be lugging the car seat and paying the cost for it. Probably 0.

I also wonder how many rode in the back of a pickup truck (gasp!) and survived. I did, probably most did, too.

Safety is a relative term.

Ted, I'm impressed. That term goes WAYYY back to before you were born, if you're as young as your pictures make you look. ;)

As my wife said...

Being a baby-wearing crunchy mama,

Otherwise, I'd probably have no idea what it means. :)

Baby is not a problem. The two kids in the back without seats or seat belts I think would be a violation of FAR 91 section 107.

Yeah, that.

But I would hope the passenger holds the baby (airbag?) on takeoff and landing. Would be pretty annoying to have that baby in the way as landings can be an active process.

Last edited:
At least she's wearing ANR's in case those infant eustachian tubes can't hang.

and age 0-2 held on the lap of a passenger a "meat missile".

... it was a joke in poor taste as to what would happen in an accident with a sudden stop. Legal, sure, safe????

We didn't fly commercial much when the girl was a infant, but when we did, I bought the third seat and the baby carrier (it had the red FAA approved tag) was strapped in. I know the probability was small, but i just couldn't roll the dice myself.

"Crunchy" is a term deriving from granola. Sorta like hippie-esque.

I lived for a long while in the Hudson Valley near Woodstock, NY, and saw plenty of "crunchy granola" girls, even dated one for a while. Luckily she never bacame a crunchy momma under my watch. :wink2:

I also wonder how many rode in the back of a pickup truck (gasp!) and survived. I did, probably most did, too.

Safety is a relative term.

unfair question. POA members that died riding in the back of a pickup can't respond with an answer. :lol:

unfair question. POA members that died riding in the back of a pickup can't respond with an answer. :lol:

Clearly you aren't aware of how good a programmer Jesse is. What makes you think most of us are even alive? :D

Does anyone know if there's a kit for Cherokee's to add a middle/3rd seat/lap belt? I have 3 kids and a wife so we're short one spot. My youngest is 3 so lap carrying him in the back is out of regs...curious if folks are putting belts in the back of a 152...is there one for a Cherokee 235?

I think you're allowed to strap two kids under one belt up to a total weight of (something like) 75#. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.

I think you're allowed to strap two kids under one belt up to a total weight of (something like) 75#. I'm sure someone here knows for sure.
Legal if side-by-side (not one strap across one in the lap of the other -- that's prohibited in 91.107), but not safe. The FAA issued a letter allowing that many years back (see below), and there are planes from the 30's or so where the back seat for two had one strap across both. However, as that letter notes, in any sort of crash, one occupant will squash the other, so I recommend against it.

Attachments

• Seatbelts p1.GIF
    Seatbelts p1.GIF
    106.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Seatbelts p2.GIF
    Seatbelts p2.GIF
    88.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Haven't flown yet with my new one (5 week old girl) but I would not feel comfortable with her there for take off and landing. For in flight i wouldn't have much of a problem on a smoothish day. My son (nearly 5) has been flying since birth. We never took off or landed without him in a carseat. Made several trips in the 185 with 4 adults plus him though. Our 185's only have 4 seats but they have belts on the baggage compartment floor for a 5th and 6th seat that we strap his carseat in and its more secure than any car ive ever had him in! This kid seriously lives to fly already. Im betting he flys twice as much as I do a year because all he ever wants to do is go to my dad's and fly HIS "lellow" plane! Start them early!

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 22
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    208 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back