Safe Gun Handling

Not a very impressive demonstration. He called it an unloaded gun, but it didnt' look to me like he ever looked in the gun to verify that fact.

Rule #1: The gun is ALWAYS loaded. I don't care if you just pulled the bolt back and stuck your finger inside the gun checking for a bullet and the magazine is in detroit, the gun is loaded!

Oi.

Greebo said:
Rule #1: The gun is ALWAYS loaded. I don't care if you just pulled the bolt back and stuck your finger inside the gun checking for a bullet and the magazine is in detroit, the gun is loaded!

Oi.

Correct! There is no excuse for having an A.D. (accidental discharge) not Airworthiness Directive. (Although there's no excsue for those either).

Inspired by Mark and Agatha, I started my wife target shooting in preparation for taking a gun safety course (mandatory in Colorado if you want a CCW). While at the range a spent shell casing went down her shirt. Yes they're hot and she showed the necessary discipline to keep the gun pointed down range, then safetied the weapon, putting it down, again facing down range. No I didn't help her get the shell casing out. :) I was really proud of her and she's doing great. She now wears a baseball cap and crew neck sweatshirt while target shooting.

Greebo said:

Rule #2-10: See rule #1

The closest thing I've ever had to an unloaded gun was cleaning the 45 auto. clip in the closet, barrel in my hand, slide on the table, spring trying to roll off the in the floor, etc. Pieces everywhere. I was still instinctively paranoid about where the ends were pointing and convinced each piece might go off.

Sheesh. Holding the barrel in my hand... I now had TWO ends to worry about... :confused:

I hate to be disagreeable, but rules 2 and 3 are different. :)

Rule #2: Never point the gun at anything you do not intend to shoot.
Rule #3: Never put your finger on the trigger until you intend to shoot what you're pointing at.
THEN Rule #4 goes back to rule #1. :)

Greebo said:

Rule #3: Never put your finger on the trigger until you intend to shoot what you're pointing at.
#4 Always be sure of what is around and behind your target.

On #5 I'll let you go back to #1. ;)

Mark

Anthony said:
Inspired by Mark and Agatha, I started my wife target shooting in preparation for taking a gun safety course (mandatory in Colorado if you want a CCW). While at the range a spent shell casing went down her shirt. Yes they're hot and she showed the necessary discipline to keep the gun pointed down range, then safetied the weapon, putting it down, again facing down range. No I didn't help her get the shell casing out. :) I was really proud of her and she's doing great. She now wears a baseball cap and crew neck sweatshirt while target shooting.

Anthony, Great that your wife is shooting. Sounds like she kept her wits about her with the hot shell casing. Must be a good instructor. :D Agatha got a casing that lodged between her safety glasses and her face one time and did the same thing. Hard to keep your head when stuff hurts like that.

Mark

Mark S said:
Anthony, Great that your wife is shooting. Sounds like she kept her wits about her with the hot shell casing. Must be a good instructor. :D Agatha got a casing that lodged between her safety glasses and her face one time and did the same thing. Hard to keep your head when stuff hurts like that.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Listening to you guys really made me start thinking and Bonnie works downtown, sometimes pretty late. Plus its another activity we can enjoy together. I had a .45 shell casing do the same thing (lodge between my eye protection and cheek). That's why I wear a ball cap when shooting now.

Well, I've learned to not really "instruct" as that doesn't work with spouses. I just give general advice until I turn her over to the instructor on Saturday. Let him deal with her! :)

Anthony said:
Well, I've learned to not really "instruct" as that doesn't work with spouses. I just give general advice until I turn her over to the instructor on Saturday. Let him deal with her! :)

Yeah, I know what you are talking about. Gentle suggestions are all that are can be used, never instruction. Other people are smarter and can instruct one's spouse (either gender BTW). I learned long ago not to even try.

Mark

Anthony said:
Correct! There is no excuse for having an A.D. (accidental discharge)

OK, then explain this one:

Cat accidentally shoots owner in Iron County home

BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. An Upper Peninsula man is in the hospital after he was accidentally shot by his cat.

State troopers in Iron County showed up at Joseph Stanton's home in Bates Township last night to find him wounded in the lower torso. The 29-year-old man was cooking when his cat knocked a loaded nine millimeter handgun off the counter.

The gun discharged and a bullet struck Stanton.

Stanton was taken to a county hospital for treatment. There's no word on his condition.

http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=3052691&ClientType=Printable

rpadula said:
OK, then explain this one:

Cat accidentally shoots owner in Iron County home

BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. An Upper Peninsula man is in the hospital after he was accidentally shot by his cat.

State troopers in Iron County showed up at Joseph Stanton's home in Bates Township last night to find him wounded in the lower torso. The 29-year-old man was cooking when his cat knocked a loaded nine millimeter handgun off the counter.

The gun discharged and a bullet struck Stanton.

Stanton was taken to a county hospital for treatment. There's no word on his condition.

http://www.woodtv.com/global/story.asp?s=3052691&ClientType=Printable

Still no excuse. If he owned a firearm that can discharge simply by being dropped, then it shouldn't have been kept with a round in the chamber, IMHO.

"I started my wife target shooting in preparation for taking a gun safety course (mandatory in Colorado if you want a CCW). While at the range a spent shell casing went down her shirt. Yes they're hot and she showed the necessary discipline to keep the gun pointed down range, then safetied the weapon, putting it down, again facing down range. No I didn't help her get the shell casing out. "

I'm very proud of your wife, I know how hot those casings are, I had a 45ACP land between my glasses bow and my temple. It was the last shot in the 1911A1, it locked back, and hit the shooters bench about the same time my glasses did.

Greebo said:

My dad taught us to shoot. I was the best of the kids. His rules were like yours. Always treat the gun as if it were loaded. But his rule #4 was "Never shoot at anyone unless you intend to kill them." His reasoning was that if you were shooting at someone who was attacking you and you didn't kill them (or at least hit them somewhere that had the potential for an imminently fatal wound) you might succeed only in making them more determined to kill you.

We were pretty careful handling the guns. We developed a great respect for their power.

Joe Williams said:
Still no excuse. If he owned a firearm that can discharge simply by being dropped, then it shouldn't have been kept with a round in the chamber, IMHO.

That's correct. Firearms suitable for home defense and carry don't just "go off" when dropped. There are firing pin blocks and other safety designs built in to stop that from happening. Still I wouldn't drop one. However, poetic justice would have the cat getting shot, not the owner, but there's still time for that. :)

NC19143 said:

I'm very proud of your wife, I know how hot those casings are, I had a 45ACP land between my glasses bow and my temple. It was the last shot in the 1911A1, it locked back, and hit the shooters bench about the same time my glasses did.

Thanks Tom, I'll pass that along. That seems to be a recurring theme with 1911's, and its happened to me. I was using lower powered, target loads that I loaded myself and they didn't eject as far, but sometimes came right back at me. Still, I'd rather get hit with the empty shells than the other end.

Anthony said:
That's correct. Firearms suitable for home defense and carry don't just "go off" when dropped. There are firing pin blocks and other safety designs built in to stop that from happening. Still I wouldn't drop one. However, poetic justice would have the cat getting shot, not the owner, but there's still time for that. :)

There are a number of firearms quite suitable for home defense that may fire when dropped with a round in the chamber. For example, Series 70 and older Government Models are imminently suited to home defense, but have no firing pin block. Same is true of slightly older S&W revolvers, and some carbines. They simply should not be kept with a round in the chamber. It takes almost no time to cycle the slide, and if you live in a place where you don't have that half second, it's time to move!!!! Heck, my P239 is kept chamber empty in the house, but that's just another step to frustrate my son if he should ever violate the rules I've so carefully tried to teach him. So far, he still can't budge the slide.

Joe Williams said:
There are a number of firearms quite suitable for home defense that may fire when dropped with a round in the chamber. For example, Series 70 and older Government Models are imminently suited to home defense, but have no firing pin block. Same is true of slightly older S&W revolvers, and some carbines. They simply should not be kept with a round in the chamber.

Quite true Joe. I have a Series 70, and I've never dropped it, but from what I hear, you'd really have to whack it (more than just a short fall) for it to go off, YMMV. Some are switching to Titanium firing pins which are even harder to move with inertia as they are very light. I have no problem with cocked and locked, Condition 1 carry in a Series 70, also no problem with Condition One in the house, but I don't leave any gun just lying around for the cat to get at. They are all secured in a safe or other similar locking device. Yes, I've considered putting the cat in the safe and leaving the guns out. :)

Anthony said:
Firearms suitable for home defense and carry don't just "go off" when dropped.

And why did he have a handgun for home defense? Handguns are fine for concealed carry, but for home defense, I prefer the trusty old 12 gauge.

Anthony said:

No, I think it's poetic justice that the gun owner is the one who got shot. Theoretically he's supposed to be the one with gun safety knowledge, not the cat.
wink.gif

lancefisher said:
No, I think it's poetic justice that the gun owner is the one who got shot. Theoretically he's supposed to be the one with gun safety knowledge, not the cat.
wink.gif

Absolutely Lance, I was just making a joke. The owner is certainly the one responsible for the incident. Can't blame the cat.

Back