Sad and freaked out.

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
October 5, 2006 - EAA is saddened to report the loss of Dr. Guy "Doc" Baldwin, EAA 117693, member of the EAA Aeromedical Advisory Council who died as a result of an airplane crash while performing at the annual Rotary Club Air Show in Tucumcari, New Mexico, Wednesday afternoon. He was 60. According to media reports, Baldwin, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, was attempting to come out of a loop maneuver in his Extra 300 when the aircraft collided with the ground.

http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/061005_baldwin.html

I believe this is the friend that Chip mentioned to me that he lost when I was there Thursday. Very sad.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about how much I love aerobatic flying on Thursday (at least I hope it wasn't Wed, that would freak me out even more) and how neat it would be to someday fly in airshows, but the exact scenario above came to mind. It is the scenario that scares me the most - Not being able to pull out of a loop fast enough. Just like this accident (though the one in particular I was thinking about was the Thunderbirds crash in 2003.)

:eek:

Sorry about your friend, Chip. :(

flyingcheesehead said:
http://www.eaa.org/communications/eaanews/061005_baldwin.html

I believe this is the friend that Chip mentioned to me that he lost when I was there Thursday. Very sad.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about how much I love aerobatic flying on Thursday (at least I hope it wasn't Wed, that would freak me out even more) and how neat it would be to someday fly in airshows, but the exact scenario above came to mind. It is the scenario that scares me the most - Not being able to pull out of a loop fast enough. Just like this accident (though the one in particular I was thinking about was the Thunderbirds crash in 2003.)

:eek:

Sorry about your friend, Chip. :(

I was at an airshow in Harrison Arkansas years back and a guy was flying his routine in a Mig 17 and dragged the tail at the bottom of a loop. That was an almost. Airshow flying contains definite hazards.

Graueradler said:
Eyewitness says he pulled level after a manuever and then went in. www.fly-low.com

What a shame, reality is, we'll probably never know what actually happened. Wonder what the accellerometer showed for max Gs before impact. Wonder what it would take to rig a "experimental" version of an FDR? What do you think it would have to weigh?

Henning said:
What a shame, reality is, we'll probably never know what actually happened. Wonder what the accellerometer showed for max Gs before impact. Wonder what it would take to rig a "experimental" version of an FDR? What do you think it would have to weigh?

With mems (solid state) accelerometers and flash memory, you could make something to record g forces only with about $50 worth of parts and it could weigh as little as a few oz. Adding channels for pitot static would double the price and weight. If you want control position, heading and attitude you'd be talking a couple grand at least and probably a few pounds.

That stinks.

We all love to fly. Whether or not we die doing what we love, it still leaves a void.

lancefisher said:
With mems (solid state) accelerometers and flash memory, you could make something to record g forces only with about $50 worth of parts and it could weigh as little as a few oz. Adding channels for pitot static would double the price and weight. If you want control position, heading and attitude you'd be talking a couple grand at least and probably a few pounds.

I don't see adding control inputs taking more than three optical mice type devices.

Henning said:
I don't see adding control inputs taking more than three optical mice type devices.

There are lots of ways to convert mechanical position to something digital and I suppose you could adapt something like that, but you'd still have to physically couple it to the control cables/rods at a point where there was linear motion and you also have to add the cabling, connectoring, and electrical interface to the unit. Also you need something for throttle, RPM, MP, prop control, and flap position (assuming flaps exist). And while I lumped control position with attitude and heading, accurate sensing of those is far more difficult and expensive if you use off the shelf stuff for the AHRS.

Last edited:
Someone's already thought of it (no control inputs, though)...

http://www.appareo.com/php/product.php?product=21

Includes a 6 axis accelerometer.

Henning said:

Steve said:
Someone's already thought of it (no control inputs, though)...
Includes a 6 axis accelerometer.

No airspeed either. Still looks pretty useful and reasonably priced.

Back