S3 lost my previous Google appointments

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
I have a US Cellular S3 and it did a major update last night. I noticed an upgrade to my Google calendar that I have synced to my Google account. Well my appointments in Oct. and Nov. are gone, but they are still on my Google calender when I log on with my laptop. I use my work schedule in (the past) to record my flight time to update my logbook at a later date. It not that big of a deal because I exported the calender on my laptop as a backup. I have synced the calender in the settings menu of the calender on the phone to no avail. Does anyone else have problems like this with Google calender? This has made me a little weary putting too much faith in Google.

Maybe there's a setting on the handheld that limits the number or span of past appointments? If so, maybe changing that setting and doing a backup and a forced sync would bring them back.

That being suggested, I must say that I lost faith in Google Calendar and Contacts a long time ago when they started creating duplicates of some entries (more than 200 of them in one case), while deleting others, often with no apparent rhyme or reason for either. Other times it will delete some appointments but not others, or will delete parts of appointments (for example, leaving the even name, but deleting the location information). It's a real adventure.

When I decided to go "green" years ago and entrusted my route schedule to Google Calendar, it was a nightmare. I'd be out in the middle of nowhere with everything I needed for the day's work -- except the appointments. They would just vanish.

I quickly switched to Yahoo Calendar, which was much more reliable, if slightly more cumbersome.

Nowadays I have very few appointments and even fewer that are important, so pen and paper work well.

-Rich

Likely the appointments were not on your Google calendar but on your phone calendar. When you create an entry always double check which calendar year
It's on.

Likely the appointments were not on your Google calendar but on your phone calendar. When you create an entry always double check which calendar year
It's on.

Um, I think he already covered that. :wink2:

Well my appointments in Oct. and Nov. are gone, but they are still on my Google calender when I log on with my laptop.

If it's on the web, and you are sure you are looking at the same account on the phone, it has to be a setting that limits the time frame of sync.
It may also be that you have more than one account, and the update has you looking at the wrong one.

This is really getting to be a big problem with our clients. Too many different accounts. You end up with several different calendars, contacts, and emails. Each phone seems to handle the several accounts differently. Some show a unified view, others you have to switch accounts. What a mess. And to make it worse, the phone itself, of course, has a calendar and contacts.

My suggestion: keep things as simple as possible, or take the time to REALLY understand the relationships and settings.

Last edited:
Back