Rx Sunglasses: Scheyden/Serengeti's

bqmassey

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
I'm about to drop a decent amount of money on prescription sunglasses. I'm down to two brands, Scheyden and Serengeti, and I could use some testimonials.

In the Serengeti's, I'm looking at the non-polarized, driver's gradient. The color is supposed to help see through haze, and the gradient should make it easier to see inside the cockpit when it's bright outside. They're also photochromic, so changing light conditions should be adapted for automatically.

In the Scheyden's, I'm looking at the flip-ups. I've heard that this brand is also good for spotting traffic. The flip-ups are dorky, but it's another way to avoid having to switch to clear glasses when lighting changes. I worry, though, that looking through two sets of lenses will reduce the optical quality.

My ultimate concern here is safety. I'm really trying to maximize my ability to see-and-avoid. I'm in a commercial helicopter program, so see-and-avoid means more than other aircraft. (Birds, wires, kites, etc.) The better I can see through haze and spot traffic, the better.

So any thoughts? Anyone tried both? If any of my generalizations are incorrect, please tell me.

Haven't tried both, but the optics on my Scheydens (done by their lab, not mine) in my prescription, are amazing. I've used a lot of flip ups and clip ons and regular prescription sunglasses over the years, but the lack of glare on their flip ups is amazing.

I've had Scheydens for several years. No regrets. They really cut through the haze.

I've had a pair of Serengeti gradient drivers (not prescription, since I wear contacts) for many years. They are perfect for IMC flying where you're ducking in and out of clouds, because the bottom is light enough to still easily read the panel. The optics are great. Everything else I've tried is too dark on the bottom to easily read the panel in clouds. I wasn't aware that they had photochromatic gradient lenses available - check on the accuracy of that info.

Jeff

I have a pair of non-prescription Serengetis with the driver's gradient. I like them a lot. I have the henna colored ones, and I rather like how they keep the sun out of my eyes but don't darken the whole world. I've worn them well into the evening and can still see just fine.

Back