Rwy xx calm wind rwy

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
Is this statement in the A/F D an advisory or does it come with the force of regulation? Suppose a turbine operation at one end of the runway uses a different direction for landing and takeoff on a calm day to minimize their taxi time. Is that ok?

Don't know about turbines but...

Some airports have this recommendation. But you are PIC and can land whatever way makes sense.

For example, if the sun during late afternoon makes takeoffs and landings on Runway 28 difficult, switch to runway 10.

I was told that a "calm wind runway" in an AF/D is a suggestion. (Kind of like stop signs when you're driving). lol

It is up to the pilot. Period.

often an airplane will takeoff the direction that an IFR departure requires.

Our airport only has a taxiway to the North end of the 4,000' strip. You have to back taxi to the South end if you want to take off.

One calm wind day I was in the South runup box and a Citation was taxiing South to the end of the runway. When he was not more than 500 feet away, I called him and asked if he would need the runup box. He said he hadn't seen me there. It was scary for someone flying a jet to be near blind. My plane is orange/white and REALLY visible.

This made me think alot about what would happen had he decided to take off to the South. I like to think that I would have seen HIM, but with no runway preference and a blind jet pilot, it kind of makes you wonder.

I'm confused. Why do you think your occupation of the run up block gives you any dibs on the runway?

I'm confused. Why do you think your occupation of the run up block gives you any dibs on the runway?

It doesn't and I did not think so. My point was that he couldn't see me, what if he had taken off from the other end, not being able to see a plane on the runway.

It doesn't and I did not think so. My point was that he couldn't see me, what if he had taken off from the other end, not being able to see a plane on the runway.

But you weren't on the runway.

Yea its ok! I don't think it matters if you have turbines or not either.

But you weren't on the runway.

I read it as the Citation was taxiing towards him while he occupied the run up area. If he ( citation) didn't see him , and the Citation had to pass the run up area to take the active, there could have been a possibility of a collision maybe?

Back