RVSM pilot training

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
Anybody know of a training requirement for straight part 91 operation in RVSM? I know King and Gleim offer on-line training but looking at the brochure (online) for the programs and even a certificate from Gleim I fail to see what specific FAR they satisfy. Gleim on mentions FAR 61.59 which is only to say their training isn't fraudulent. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of a regulatory mandate.

I've looked through Appendix G of part 91 and still can't find anything. Anyone know something I don't here? Thanks,

The only RVSM training I know of is for visual inspection of the critical and super critical areas of the airframe. RVSM is really just about the accuracy of the instrumentation that makes it possible. As a mechanic we are required to complete repetitive training.

App G of pt91 is where I found some details.
"Each pilot has an adequate knowledge of RVSM requirements, policies, and procedures."
I am not so sure the fsdo will give your operator a LOA without some kind of training certificate for each pilot. I understand we had to send ours in.

The only RVSM training I know of is for visual inspection of the critical and super critical areas of the airframe. RVSM is really just about the accuracy of the instrumentation that makes it possible. As a mechanic we are required to complete repetitive training.

Yup....

George and all his close friends need to be perfect...:yes::yes:..

The guys/gals up front just need a basic knowledge of reduced separation.IMHO.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As a current 135 pilot operating an RVSM aircraft my multiple training events over the past decade or so should satisfy the 'pilot training' to pilot a private plane into RVSM, right? I can't imagine a fed saying I'm good to go for hire part 135 but to fly Bob in his plane you need an RVSM training certificate from Martha King.

The reason I ask is one of the contract flights I've done the owner is putting together his records for a full time pilot he hired and that pilot has a RVSM online course completion certificate from Gleim. Naturally, the owner now wants to know where mine is to which I told him I don't have one. I guess I'm looking for chapter and verse why I don't need one.

Anybody know of a training requirement for straight part 91 operation in RVSM? I know King and Gleim offer on-line training but looking at the brochure (online) for the programs and even a certificate from Gleim I fail to see what specific FAR they satisfy. Gleim on mentions FAR 61.59 which is only to say their training isn't fraudulent. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of a regulatory mandate.

I've looked through Appendix G of part 91 and still can't find anything. Anyone know something I don't here? Thanks,

From 8900.1

4-1236 OPERATOR EVALUATION.

A. Obtain Authorization. To obtain authorization from the Administrator to conduct operations in RVSM airspace, the Administrator must find the operator to have adopted RVSM operating policies and procedures for pilots (and, if applicable, dispatchers) and ensure each pilot has adequate knowledge of RVSM requirements, policies, and procedures. The minimum equipment list (MEL), if used, must incorporate the required changes stated in Master Minimum Equipment List (MMEL) GC-59 (formerly Policy Letter PL-84), dated August 15, 1997. The operator must provide a procedure for initial aircraft monitoring and meeting RVSM minimum monitoring requirements.

B. Required Monitoring. Operators are required to conduct initial monitoring within 6 months of the date of issue and must conduct monitoring every 2 years or within intervals of 1,000 flight-hours per aircraft, whichever period is longer, in accordance with the aircraft categories as presented in the current edition of the (North American) RVSM Minimums Monitoring Requirements Chart. The FAA has posted the RVSM Minimum Monitoring Requirements Chart to the FAA RVSM Documentation Web site at https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/enroute/rvsm in the section titled, “Monitoring Requirements and Procedures.”

C. Coordination. The appropriate FSDO or CHDO manager, in coordination with the PAI, PMI, and POI, will issue the OpSpecs or LOA after determination of aircraft compliance; approval of the RVSM maintenance program; and acceptance of operator policies and procedures. Upon issuance, the POI will make the appropriate PTRS entry (see Table 4-23). The U.S. RVSM Approvals database lists authorizations issued to operators.

Read the LOA that is in your airplane. If you have questions call the Operations Inspector that approved it.

Crew training requirements are spelled out in your operators LOA. I don't see why proof of training and operating in RVSM with a 135 carrier wouldn't suffice.

AC 91-85B does a decent job of spelling out what is required for "pilot" training requirements for aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out (pretty much everybody now). Chapter 3 covers what you need to know, and Chapter 4 explains that you don't need to apply for authorizations when operating under Part 91. I will be flying a Vision Jet in RVSM soon, and plan to simply get an endorsement from an instructor after I explain what I know about operating in RVSM airspace. This is just logging required training.

By the way, nearly every other "answer" in this thread has to do with Part 135 and Part 121, not basic Part 91.

from my understanding, each aircraft must have a LOA to operate in RVSM and that LOA will spell out training requirements for pilots, what rule they operate under is of no concern. i would assume the training for your type will include RVSM training that will meet the requirements of the LOA.

from my understanding, each aircraft must have a LOA to operate in RVSM and that LOA will spell out training requirements for pilots, what rule they operate under is of no concern. i would assume the training for your type will include RVSM training that will meet the requirements of the LOA.

I already have the type for the SF-50, but this was achieved before the G2 version, which moved the max. altitude to 31,000 ft. I'm sure the LOA will just list the training requirements shown in the AC, so I'll self-train. The differences between G1 and G2 of the Vision Jet are pretty minor.

Back