RV7 heaven - dressed to kill

Really nice. Would love to buy it. Someday :)

(still seems pretty expensive for a RV7)

Agreed; one of the more expensive "round gauge" -7's I've ever seen. Must be why he says "OBO". Nice paint scheme. Very nice.

I can't figure out how he spent $160K on it, unless some of that money was in "builder's assistance".

That kind of money will buy a lot of Bo or Mooney, which go pretty fast themselves.

That kind of money will buy a lot of Bo or Mooney, which go pretty fast themselves.

I doubt you would find one with a low-time engine, a Garmin stack, modern autopilot, 10/10 P&I for 120k.

And you can't fly upside down with them either.

110k cash will buy it.

You can, just not for very long.

Should have said: You are not allowed to fly upside down with them either.

Doesn't sound like this RV has inverted systems, but you can legally do all the positive G stuff with it (maybe not a good idea given the classic gyro instruments though).

Should have said: You are not allowed to fly upside down with them either.

I doubt it. I doubt the aircraft has the sort of emergency egress systems that would make it legal for aerobatic flight. None of the RVs in which I flew did. And I do not recall sufficient room in the 7s for parachutes either.

Nice, but kinda pricey for not having any type of EFIS installed. Nice layout on the panel though - lots of instrumentation but it doesn't look 'cluttered' like homemade panels can be.

IO360 with the 2-blade would be nice. Climb like a bat out of he** with the 200hp then pull the power back and cruise like a scalded cat with the 2-blade prop.

I doubt it. I doubt the aircraft has the sort of emergency egress systems that would make it legal for aerobatic flight. None of the RVs in which I flew did. And I do not recall sufficient room in the 7s for parachutes either.

Some guys that know they are going to be flying aerobatics will install a 'pull pin and cable' system on the blocks that the rear of the canopy slides into when it is down and locked. Pull the cable and there should be enough aerodynamic force to suck the canopy off with no problem. It would still take *me* a little while to 'fall' out, though. ;)

Some guys that know they are going to be flying aerobatics will install a 'pull pin and cable' system on the blocks that the rear of the canopy slides into when it is down and locked. Pull the cable and there should be enough aerodynamic force to suck the canopy off with no problem. It would still take *me* a little while to 'fall' out, though. ;)

Yah, but I doubt that one has it. One of the RVs in which I flew had a tilt up canopy, so no way would it come off via the slipstream. I certainly didn't see the sort of system you're describing on the other. Makes sense to install if you're really going to do what the aircraft was designed for.

I would still go Bo or Mooney shopping before putting that kind of cash into an RV. Could be just me though.

Yah, but I doubt that one has it. One of the RVs in which I flew had a tilt up canopy, so no way would it come off via the slipstream. I certainly didn't see the sort of system you're describing on the other. Makes sense to install if you're really going to do what the aircraft was designed for.

I would still go Bo or Mooney shopping before putting that kind of cash into an RV. Could be just me though.

My friend just bought an RV7A. I was the guy to pick it up and ferry it back to Tampa...WooHoo! Anyways, the previous owner informed me that if you forget to lock the tilt up canopy before takeoff, it will be sucked up to about 30 degrees (he had some personal experience!) Although being right side up in the pattern is a little too ideal to base an egress situation, figured it may be possible especially given the motivation of emminent death.:yikes:

I doubt it. I doubt the aircraft has the sort of emergency egress systems that would make it legal for aerobatic flight.
I'm not aware of there being a regulation requiring the RV-7 to have any sort of emergency egress system for aerobatic flight.

AFAIK - if you're solo you can do it without a parachute. If you have passenger(s) then you all need parachutes. Is it smart to do aerobatics in a canopy you can't get out of? Maybe not. But I'm pretty sure it's legal.

Beautiful airplane and they ARE a log of fun. Maybe not as unilitarian as a Bo or Mooney, but some things can't be measured in utility. You wanna fun plane to fly around and even get somewhere? This is it.

I'm not aware of there being a regulation requiring the RV-7 to have any sort of emergency egress system for aerobatic flight.

AFAIK - if you're solo you can do it without a parachute. If you have passenger(s) then you all need parachutes. Is it smart to do aerobatics in a canopy you can't get out of? Maybe not. But I'm pretty sure it's legal.

I was under the impression that to be legal for aerobatic flight, the pilot and passengers had to have parachutes and the aircraft had to have an emergency egress system of some sort. If I am mistaken I would be happily corrected.

I was under the impression that to be legal for aerobatic flight, the pilot and passengers had to have parachutes and the aircraft had to have an emergency egress system of some sort.
I know of nothing that would require the aircraft to have any sort of emergency egress system, at least for experimental aircraft.

A quick perusal of the regs suggests I was in error.

And you are a gentleman and a scholar for admitting a mistake.

I think this is RV7 flies like a little fighter and I'm sure is a hoot! I'd love to have it or one like it.

Nice, but for the money I think this is a better buy.

http://barnstormers.com/classified_368497_Priced+to+Sale.html

Yep, your standard RV, VFR with salvaged Avionics and no autopilot.

Add
10k to install a GNS430W
3k to add a SL40
3k to add a GTX327
10k to have a DigiflightII installed
10k to get the Hartzell CS prop + governor

.... and suddenly you are not so far from that dolled up RV7. AND someoene else has already done the work for you and you don't have re-cut the panel and deal with suboptimal placement of components in a retrofit situation.

The difference in price reflects the difference in equipment. Sure, if you want a VFR RV to do loop-di-loops on saturday afternoon, the second one is the better choice. If you want an IFR equipped travel plane and you have the money to invest, the first one sure sounds like the better investment.

...shuffles back to work to make the money to buy plane#1.....

Last edited:
On the other hand, just because I drop a 430 in my cherokee doesn't make it worth $14K more.

On the other hand, just because I drop a 430 in my cherokee doesn't make it worth $14K more.

But for someone who wanted and IFR capable RV with CS prop, the second one is just not a 'great buy' but a money-pit waiting to happen.

But for someone who wanted and IFR capable RV with CS prop, the second one is just not a 'great buy' but a money-pit waiting to happen.

Says you. And how do you know the spanky RV isn't going to need its wings riveted back on?

Very good point, if I am going to spend $117k for an IFR platform its going to have more than 2 seats.
Yep, your standard RV, VFR with salvaged Avionics and no autopilot.

Add
10k to install a GNS430W
3k to add a SL40
3k to add a GTX327
10k to have a DigiflightII installed
10k to get the Hartzell CS prop + governor

.... and suddenly you are not so far from that dolled up RV7. AND someoene else has already done the work for you and you don't have re-cut the panel and deal with suboptimal placement of components in a retrofit situation.

The difference in price reflects the difference in equipment. Sure, if you want a VFR RV to do loop-di-loops on saturday afternoon, the second one is the better choice. If you want an IFR equipped travel plane and you have the money to invest, the first one sure sounds like the better investment.

...shuffles back to work to make the money to buy plane#1.....

Back