Runway status lights

Pretty good.
(When I click on the link, there is a 1:07 audio-free video called Runway Status Lights lined up to play. It wasn't great.
But, below that, there is a 5:11 RWSL Demonstration Video with an audible explanation. Much better.
I am unable to share a link directly to the video but its on that same page.)
Anyway, it sounds like what we need to know is that the lights are a backup plan to prevent RIs....do not use them as a clearance. (lights going out does not mean "cleared to ........") And the terminology we have to learn is "Holding for Red lights" - if we get red after or during a clearance we stop as able and advise atc.

Pretty good.
(When I click on the link, there is a 1:07 audio-free video called Runway Status Lights lined up to play. It wasn't great.
But, below that, there is a 5:11 RWSL Demonstration Video with an audible explanation. Much better.
I am unable to share a link directly to the video but its on that same page.)
Anyway, it sounds like what we need to know is that the lights are a backup plan to prevent RIs....do not use them as a clearance. (lights going out does not mean "cleared to ........") And the terminology we have to learn is "Holding for Red lights" - if we get red after or during a clearance we stop as able and advise atc.

Is this the one?
http://www.faa.gov/tv/?mediaId=349

Many thanks...was not familiar with these.

So are the lights automatic secondary to a sensor on the side of the runway that knows a vehicle/aircraft is within range or are the illuminated by ATC? I didn't quite get that from the vids....

Looking at the list I don't think I need to worry much about it as I doubt seriously that I'll be gong there any time soon.

Flew into BOS for my day job, and this system was in place. Amazing what technology can do!

As are 99% of the pilots I have spoken with over the last couple years.
I cheated. I know the guy who runs the company that developed the system. He put on a very nice presentation for a group of us at my airport last spring.

Back