Runway Slope Article

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I read an interesting article about something that I'd subconsciously thought about but have never sat down to do the calculations.

My based airport has a 0.68% degree slope (based on calculating the data at Airnav.com) and I can tell the difference. I believe it to be more noticeable than the commenters makes out (1% as negligible).

What say ye?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.pilotworkshop.com/tips/downslope_runway_performance.htm

Someone here...I can't recall who right now...is based at Medina. They'll have some good input!

(I rented a hangar there for a couple of years but don't remember the specifics)

Someone here...I can't recall who right now...is based at Medina. They'll have some good input!

(I rented a hangar there for a couple of years but don't remember the specifics)

Or Falwell Airport in Lynchburg VA. The 4.7% slope is the steepest among paved, public-use airports in the country. No, you're not going to take-off uphill. It's hard enough just to taxi uphill for departure.

I read an interesting article about something that I'd subconsciously thought about but have never sat down to do the calculations.

My based airport has a 0.68% slope (based on calculating the data at Airnav.com) and I can tell the difference. I believe it to be more noticeable than the commenters makes out (1% as negligible).

What say ye?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.pilotworkshop.com/tips/downslope_runway_performance.htm

FTFY. Slopes are measured in percent grade. Unless you're flying a heave and it's a very short runway, that slope should be no factor.

I've not figured it out that exactly but, at Russellville, AR, we have about 0.7% slope. That is nearly 1.5% difference. It is enough that a vehicle without the brake set will start rolling. You can also definitely feel the difference when riding a bicycle one way or the other. It can make a difference it you are marginal for the accelerate, abort, stop on pavement declared distance. For small planes, not significant.

4G4 is about 50' difference on 4000' runway, but it is also a U, so the slope is actually quite a bit more than the 1.4% You always start your t/o roll downhill.

Last edited:

Medina has a slope???

Attachments

• 10013788_629538217116069_3302621037658564717_n.jpg
    10013788_629538217116069_3302621037658564717_n.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 32
Back