Runway safety

First, 600 feet should be enough to see the signage and markings. Second, I hope you're only doing that at airports with positive physical access control to the airside, because 600 feet isn't enough to stop if you spot a deer on the runway nearing rotation speed in what you fly.

Yes. A requirement for a takeoff with Vis that low (600) is centreline lights (CL) and HIRL's. Any airport with CL's is certianly going to have a fence. That said, I've seen deer inside fenced airports. Chalk it up to accepted risk.

Yeah, but you still have a hard to see buggy system.

IMO all the Garmin GPS's are crap from a UI perspective compared to an iPad running Foreflight. The touchscreens on them are horrible.

Yes. A requirement for a takeoff with Vis that low (600) is centreline lights (CL) and HIRL's. Any airport with CL's is certianly going to have a fence. That said, I've seen deer inside fenced airports. Chalk it up to accepted risk.

Our airport tends to have rather large turkeys

IMO all the Garmin GPS's are crap from a UI perspective compared to an iPad running Foreflight. The touchscreens on them are horrible.
Funny...I had no complaints at all about my Garmin Aera....until I got an iPad 2. Now I keep getting frustrated every time I try to pinch the screen on the Garmin:mad2:

Whatever, my iPad crashes enough and it's view ability is poor enough that I'd have a dedicated unit regardless. IPad backing the G-500 is fine for me, but if I was only going to have one screen in my cockpit, it would not be an iPad.

Unless those next two runway crossings are less than 1000 feet apart, they can't do that any more -- only one crossing clearance at a time now.
They're less than 1000' apart at the airport I was referencing.

Whatever, my iPad crashes enough and it's view ability is poor enough that I'd have a dedicated unit regardless. IPad backing the G-500 is fine for me, but if I was only going to have one screen in my cockpit, it would not be an iPad.

It's no contest between my 696's screen & the I-Pad in a plane with a clear canopy. The 696 wins without doubt. It's never been close to un-readable, and you can't say that about an I-Pad

Back