Run up?!?! What's that?

Why not do the runup at the hold short line? It takes like 10-15 secs max in most GA singles...

I typically won't since you're going to have to taxi on the runway to get to the first turnoff if it wasn't good to go. But a quick runup at the turnout with enough room to go back down the taxiway is fine.

That's not a runup, that's a waste of avgas and a false sense of security.

You need to take you're time, the "click, click, click, good!" ain't worth doing.

Go left mag, let it stabilize and listen to it for a few seconds, both, stabilize, listen, etc. Same with carb heat.

On rolling runups, on soft or slick surfaces that are fine, when you are operating in very dusty or gravel areas I like to do rolling runups, also in seaplanes I tend to do more rolling runups :wink2:
Actually if there is an issue of significance (safety issue) with the ignition system it will be noticed quite quickly with the mag checks.

Doing mag checks at cruise is going to be the best way to notice minor issues.

Actually if there is an issue of significance (safety issue) with the ignition system it will be noticed quite quickly with the mag checks.

Doing mag checks at cruise is going to be the best way to notice minor issues.

Do you allow your students to blaze through their mag and carb heat checks?

We had a mag on our plane that had a few bits coming loose, I went to left mag, after about two seconds on the left mag it went from OK or R O U G H!
If I had been doing a wham bam runup I'd probably have not noticed it.

Probably go about 5-7 seconds or so on each msg, listen, watch and feel it, then move on.

I can do a whole pretakeoff checklist and run up in a da-20 in less time than it takes you to notice I didn't :) Not much to check in them. The only time I take a good amount of time is if I'm about to climb into low IMC.

A rolling runup might be necessary at certain fields - but CRQ? I don;t think so - you spent 5 min waiting to T/O even if you are the only person there. . . .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back