Rules of Conduct

bobmrg

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Gardner
Now that Cap'n Ron has left POA for the red board, I have to wonder if anyone pays attention to this provision of the Rules of Conduct:

"Personal attacks are prohibited. This specifically means any text/post that is blatantly attacking another person on or off the forum, especially in a personal way."

Do you consider this as all in good fun?

As a working instructor who found time to help forum participants with their questions and problems, and as a pilot with a sterling career in the military and as a college aviation program administer, he stands above those who took pot shots at him. I regret not speaking up earlier. The next time I see a post that violates this provision of the RofC I will take the poster to task online.

Bob Gardner

It's always good to view the opinions of others. It's never good when it gets personal and people take cheap shots at one another.

Who took pot shots at him? Read most of what is posted. Never saw anything that should make someone take their ball and go home. It's the Internet.

Keyboard warriors :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure, Ron could cite the scripture (FAR/AIM) :)

Ron was a great resource here for sure. Those who didn't care for the way he could cite rules and regulations should have just let it go and kept quiet. I suspect there were plenty of folks like me who were grateful to learn from him.
Except that Ron wasn't always correct, and would often stray from his personal interpretation to providing it as if it was gospel. Sometime he was right. But hardly the authority that some hold him to be.

But, that aside, Ron did not leave as a result of 'personal attacks'.

Ron did not leave because we were failing to properly moderate personal attacks against him. That's all I really have to say.

If you have a problem with a post, report it, we can't possibly read everything on this forum and we typically don't take actions against a post that wasn't reported by the community. That's basically a mechanism to ensure we aren't over moderating based on our own opinion of what the community wants.

We aren't perfect, we all have other things that occupy our time to pay our bills. We depend heavily on users reporting posts they think are in violation.

Moderation is as dysfunctional as any other type of social enforcement. People will choose to be whomever they want.

Moderation is as dysfunctional as any other type of social enforcement. People will choose to be whomever they want.
They might choose to be whoever they want but that doesn't mean that they will be allowed to do it here.

They might choose to be whoever they want but that doesn't mean that they will be allowed to do it here.

Of course they are. Just because someone does not violate the technical rules, the effect of their attitude is still the same regardless.

The point of moderation isn't to change the person. It's to keep the person from expressing views that don't jive with the rules of posting. If a poster is hiding their true nature of personal "YouTube style" attacks in order to comply with POA rules, so be it.

The point of moderation isn't to change the person. It's to keep the person from expressing views that don't jive with the rules of posting. If a poster is hiding their true nature of personal "YouTube style" attacks in order to comply with POA rules, so be it.

The rules of posting can be stayed within and still have the identical effect.

Except that Ron wasn't always correct, and would often stray from his personal interpretation to providing it as if it was gospel. Sometime he was right. But hardly the authority that some hold him to be.

But, that aside, Ron did not leave as a result of 'personal attacks'.
Name one person on the board that is always correct? His advice was ALWAYS worth more than we paid for it.

I happen to really like and have great respect for 90-95% of your posts. But I don't criticize or belittle you when I disagree. Like now.

So why do you think he left?

Name one person on the board that is always correct? His advice was ALWAYS worth more than we paid for it.

I happen to really like and have great respect for 90-95% of your posts. But I don't criticize or belittle you when I disagree. Like now.

So why do you think he left?
You are 100% correct. My only point in commenting is that some put Ron on a pedestal that I don't think he deserves anymore than any other POA member.

Ron had a habit of speaking authoritatively about things he was not an authority on. He did not do it often, but you don't have to do it many times before all of your credibility is called into question.

Ron was a great resource here for sure. Those who didn't care for the way he could cite rules and regulations should have just let it go and kept quiet. I suspect there were plenty of folks like me who were grateful to learn from him.

Exactly. :yes:

Ron had a habit of speaking authoritatively about things he was not an authority on. He did not do it often, but you don't have to do it many times before all of your credibility is called into question.

Ron is a victim of the regs he tried to memorize and understand. They are sometimes written with ambiguities imbedded on purpose so the Feds can interpret them any way they want depend on the "violator".

If he didn't do it often, how could it be a habit? :dunno:

There are a couple of posters that I can think of off the top of my head who would troll anything Ron posted and pick the nits incessantly. I don't blame him for leaving, I think he tried to be helpful and, sure he was stroking his ego, but who cares, he was at least offering something related to aviation. His detractors offered lots of eye rolls.

You are 100% correct. My only point in commenting is that some put Ron on a pedestal that I don't think he deserves anymore than any other POA member.

I agree. While I highly respected Ron's opinion on aviation matters, he couldn't accept someone challenging his authority.

I refer to it as the "IP Complex." I knew civilian and military IPs who thought they were an aviation encyclopedia. They developed a reputation for being that go to guy when it came to anything in aviation. Problem is, when you put them on that pedestal and one day you prove them wrong or they don't know something, look out! They can't accept the fact that they didn't know an aviation subject that's applicable to their job so they try spin it to something else. I've seen IPs get into some nasty arguments because neither one will yield. Personal pride, maybe a military chain of command type mindset, or just trying to protect one's reputation I guess.

You have to accept the fact that yes, I am an instructor and in a position of authority in aviation but that doesn't mean I'm flawless. Admitting that doesn't make you any less of an instructor. Just makes you human.

You have to accept the fact that yes, I am an instructor and in a position of authority in aviation but that doesn't mean I'm flawless. Admitting that doesn't make you any less of an instructor. Just makes you human.

I agree. No one has perfected aviation knowledge and they can always learn something every flight, every situation. That's why I love aviation, its like golf, you never master it.

First it was Bruce, now it's Ron. Think about what this board has lost folks. Good people who just wanted to help. I know why each of them left., having spoken to them personally.

This board has lost valuable resources because of people taking pot shots or using inflammatory pics as avatars.

As a profesional lurker I learned a lot fron Ron, I hate to see him go. I track POA less for entertainment and more to "keep the old pencil sharp" and for that reason I will miss him.

The lesson I learned is "let's learn to value the diversity in our community". If somebody's particular flavor of diversity chafes with yours, don't poke a stick at it. Just view from afar and then move on to the next display in the zoo.

As a profesional lurker I learned a lot fron Ron, I hate to see him go. I track POA less for entertainment and more to "keep the old pencil sharp" and for that reason I will miss him.

I will miss Ron as well, since he was correct far more often than not. The community is impoverished when anyone leaves. It is enriched when someone joins. First post. Welcome to POA.

I have not noticed anything I would consider "personal attacks", but Ron did sport an attitude in many of his responses and, as such, invited a few "comments". In the few times I responded directly to his posts, I remained respectful even though I felt slighted by him. I agree that he was a wealth of information and reading his posts was always educational. The flavor of his posts is most often one of 1) Here's a rule, 2) his interpretation of it in the most possible conservative and restrictive light, 3) and, a comment along the lines of "you can risk your certificate, but I won't risk mine", if there's any room for argument.

Too bad he's gone. Despite everything, I always learned from him.

:rolleyes2: The whole inflammatory avatar thing was absurd and was just used as an excuse. :nonod:

I spoke to Ron last weekend about a matter regarding a plane I was looking at. When I asked why he left, he told me. Frankly, I would have been offended by it as well. It was not an excuse. I am glad I did not see it or find out who had it. If I did I don;t think I would have been professional about it and would have ignored that individual.

Some people took it for more than what it really was.

Boy, that's no lie. And one must always remember at if you give ultimatums...well...maybe...just maybe...you'll be the one with egg on your face in the end.

I will miss some of Ron's knowledge but I will not miss Ron or his God syndrome. Just like I really miss Bruce's knowledge but not his attitude.

I will miss his mustache.
At least I can offer up plane rides for money on here now.

Back