RSV - Not fun!

James_Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Eggman
Well, it's been an interesting couple of days. I left for a business trip to Atlanta on Monday morning at 3:30 am. When I left my two year old had developed a runny nose - no problem, right? Just a little cold. My wife then called me at 2:00pm yesterday that our 6 month old was being admitted to the hospital and was in respiratory distress and the two year old had started to vomit and was running a severe temperature. I jumped a plane in Atlanta at 6:00 to Houston and made it back to Omaha at 11:30pm last night. Then a three hour drive in fog to the hospital. I learned that both boys had an active RSV infection and that the two year old had bronchitis and ear infections all secondary to the RSV infection.

When my wife brought the six month old to the hospital his pulse-ox was in the mid 80's - I'm not sure how bad that is, but he was obviously having trouble breathing. When they got him on the ox it went back up to 100%. They are giving him breathing therapy as well, whatever that is.

So I'm taking care of the older two and my wife is still with the baby in the hospital - likely for another day or two. Poor kid looked terrible - IV in one hand, the cannula taped to his face, pulse-ox on his toe, he has not eaten in 30 hours now. This is our first hospital admission for any of the kids, we've haven't even been to the emergency room. My wife is a bit traumatized

When I got home last night around 2:00am I sat the two year old's room and read some POA posts and made sure he was sleeping and breathing well. I went to bed around 3:30 - finally some sleep! James had other plans. He came into my bedroom around 5:00am and proceeded to vomit on me. We've all been awake since and just got done with homemade waffles. I'm sitting here asking myself, what's next?

Anyone have any advice? Sorry if none of this makes sense - I'm a little zonked. And I still say having kids is great - most ot the time.

James Dean

Keep doing what you are doing. You're a great dad, btw!

I learned that both boys had an active RSV infection and that the two year old had bronchitis and ear infections all secondary to the RSV infection.

Ugh. RSV. We spend a very late night in the ER having Holly treated for RSV, luckily she didn't need to be admitted. Seems to have different severity in different children, and both my wife and I got it (not as bad) as well. Nasty thing about RSV is it can take quite a while to recover, and it seems the child (and you) are much more susceptible to resp colds and viruses for a long time after.

BTDT, sorry you're there. :(

I'm assuming the older children have seen a doctor and you are following the doctor's instructions. If not, do it.
  • The bronchitis (or pneumonia) can last a week or more.
  • Wash your hands before and after touching any of the children or those who contact the children. Become a fanatic for a while.
  • Because the children are so young, wash their hands and face very frequently. They are virus factories and you don't want to get sick, too.
  • For the children at home, a cool-mist vaporizer may help them breathe easier. Clean it daily with bleach. Avoid a hot-air vaporizer because of the hazard of scalding.
  • Treat fever with Tylenol. Do not give the children aspirin when they have a virus because it could lead to a fatal illness.
  • Call the doctor if the temperature rises, mucous becomes colored (yellow, green, or grey), or their cough becomes worse.
  • Help the children to stay hydrated by offering small amounts of fluid often. If their skin becomes grey, ashy, call the doctor.
You and your wife should spell each other and get as much rest as you can. Be sure to eat, to keep your strength up. This, too, shall pass. Kids are really strong little creatures.

- Aunt Peggy

Your children are in our prayers.
:blueplane: ApacheBob
(President of Saint Patrick Men's Club)

This is our first hospital admission for any of the kids, we've haven't even been to the emergency room. My wife is a bit traumatized

When I got home last night around 2:00am I sat the two year old's room and read some POA posts and made sure he was sleeping and breathing well. I went to bed around 3:30 - finally some sleep! James had other plans. He came into my bedroom around 5:00am and proceeded to vomit on me. We've all been awake since and just got done with homemade waffles. I'm sitting here asking myself, what's next?

Anyone have any advice? Sorry if none of this makes sense - I'm a little zonked. And I still say having kids is great - most ot the time.

James Dean

First off, for those who want kids and enjoy kids, there is no substitute. Period.

You're a good man who stands up for his values. Stick with that.

Make sure your wife can lean on you. Of all the parents I know, I understand that the maternal instincts are different from the paternal instincts. I'm a traditional Texas guy which means I'm supposed to be the "rock" and be strong for my wife and my friends when they're in trouble or distress.

It can be hell, but that's also where prayer helps out.

Hospitals deal with this all the time. They're pro's at it. So be strong for your wife.

As for the rest of your brook, Aunt Peggy gave some outstanding advice. All I'll add to it is talk to your doctor or pharmacist about giving your children some Mucinex to help break up the crud that is congested in them and contributing to the respiratory distress.

A big key here will be their ability to get quality, deep, restful sleep. The body has amazing restorative powers so long as it has the energy to do so.

Walgreens has a great humidifer that works on the principle of sonics. It doesn't gurgle and spit the way heat-driven vaporizers and humidifers do, but instead is silent--and you can adjust the output of moisture. Just set them up four to five feet off the floor in order to avoid a wet spot on the floor or carpet from the humidity output.

I think the Sonic humidifiers are around $30, and they last forever--literally. We have three of them in our hangar home because occasionally I have some respiratory problems when it gets cold and dry. I'll swear by them.

Keep doing what you're doing. We're all thinking of you.

Regards.

-JD

Thanks everyone. My wife is an ob/pediatric nurse so I we've got most of the things mentioned covered. We've got him on the meds and the vaporizer has been going for a few days.

I've got both the older ones down for their naps now, the two year old still has a 101* temp. It's kind of funny watching him try to deal with the hot and cold spells. Three blankets ----> Naked ----> Three blankets -----> Naked. I've got my hands full trying to keep him on the level.

The little one is going back and forth. He has started to eat again, but his o2 goes down into the high 80's low 90's when he's off the ox. He will have to spend the night at the hospital again.

James Dean

When my son had RSV I had no problem taking the time off work to take care of him. The hospital I worked for at the time said "You are not allowed to work on patient contact equipment" Well that what I do so I went home sick

James Dean

Keep being the good dad you are, don't forget to eat, be there for your wife as well and hope you don't get sick too. (but you already knew all that, but since you're probably really tired I thought I'd remind you.;) )

Good luck, sounds like you have a few more days of it. Best wishes for the baby as well, it's hard to see the tiny ones like that.

Back