Routing Deleaware to Ohio

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
I'm flying KEVY (Summit, Delaware) to KCMH (Columbus Ohio) and looking at a route KEVY-KTHV-KWAY-KCMH to get around the 60nm DCA ring and the restricted P40 and R0049 (Camp David right?). Not exactly familiar with this route. I'll be VFR with flight following if I can get it.

Any comments or improvements? (No real reason to pick those airports as way points except they get me where I want to go. No I wont be overflying the airports). Hmmm.

Well, around here you get dinged (by your instructor) for overflying an airport. True you can do it. Some small airports have parachute operations is why. It's ok if you are quite high. I figure I need 2000 AGL clouds and that will put me about pattern altitude so you wouldn't want to be over the airport at THAT altitude. I can work that one out. Its the ring around DC and the prohibited around Camp David I'm most concerned about. Ive never flown around these.

What do you want to know? It's a boring flight (IMHO), but other than that, nothing notable. The mountains are pretty low where you're crossing, so not much terrain to get too excited about.

Take the SFRA training online (takes just a few minutes) and you can shave a few miles off your trip by flying (almost, just a little jog around P40) direct.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=55&preview=true

Well, around here you get dinged (by your instructor) for overflying an airport. True you can do it. Some small airports have parachute operations is why. It's ok if you are quite high. I figure I need 2000 AGL clouds and that will put me about pattern altitude so you wouldn't want to be over the airport at THAT altitude. I can work that one out. Its the ring around DC and the prohibited around Camp David I'm most concerned about. Ive never flown around these.

You're on FF, ATC should alert you to sky diving activity. The jump pilots are required to make a call to ATC prior to jumpers away. At below 3000, at least you can see their chutes. Above that, a falling person is hard to spot.

FWIW, the only reason to avoid the 60nm DCA ring is because you're operating VFR without having taken the DC SFRA course. In my opinion (and the FAA's recommendations), flying anywhere within 100nm of DC without having taken that course is unwise. I most strongly suggest you go to https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_content.aspx?cID=55&preview=true and take that course before you make this trip. It takes only about half an hour to complete, and can save you from a real nightmare.

If you buy a sectional and have it with you, VFR , it's very easy to do. Pretty hard to screw up.

I made a similar trip to/from Allentown, PA. Easy, simple, no problem. Ask if P-40 is expanded, they'll tell you. Not a lot different from many other flights, not much to see besides tree-covered hills, although the wind farm is pretty at night. [At least I think that's what all of those red lights were . . . ]

Take the DC SFRA course, print out your certificate and tuck it away with your POH and other required paperwork. You shouldn't need to worry about the SFRA, depending on where in Delaware you're departing, and my geography of that area is a little weak.

It's just another flight, with some R-space to avoid. The difference is that P-40 can be small or large instead of just active or cold. FF was not a problem, nor are IFR flight plans.

I agree with Ron that if you don't have the SFRA/FRZ training done, I would get it done. I practice approaches into KEVY and you are pretty close to the 60 nm ring already.

This is how I would fly it. You just need to be careful of the ring on your way up to York. I would keep the VORs tuned in for positional awareness.

anenazaj.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Back