Route Advice - Nor Cal to KPSP

Shawn

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
I turn to the infinite wisdoms of the Interwebs...Heading down this week from KWVI to KPSP - Palm Springs for business and looking for some been there done that advice on best route. In studying the sectional, kinda looks like the most "direct" route would be from KWVI, over Tehachapi Pass (KTSP), down towards Hesperia (L26)then across Banning Pass to KPSP.

Been through the LA basin quite a bit over the Tejon pass, but never crossed further east to know what is the best practical route...or is through the LA basin then east to KPSP a more practical route?

Will be flying a 182 VFR with no O2 mid afternoon and was gonna shoot for 7500'. Will be landing at KPSP and bite the bullet on the fees as the site I am going to is just down the road from the airport.

I have been keeping an eye on winds and forecasts through Banning Pass and does not look too nasty so far.

Am I on the right path or is there a better option?

Last edited:
Banning pass is not big deal this time of year if winds are not terrible.

You probably know that there are no fees with fuel or $5 without fuel at Bermuda Dunes but its 15 minute drive form PSP. Just watch where you sit as they have cat hair on everything.

Yeah...I do know that there are cheaper landing options but I need to make a quick getaway Friday for departure and have associates picking me up close by, so logistically KPSP it is.

Banning pass is good. If you get up a little higher, you can cut across Lake Arrowhead and just hug the mountains and save a little more time, but not masses. East side of the pass might be an option if you early on plan to go to the east of all the big R's around Edwards AFB. You could cruise down through Tonopah and Shoshone over the desert there west of Las Vegas. But it's pretty rugged and doesn't have many options or landmarks, so might not be ideal.

Big Bear (L35?) for fuel, always a good deal and a great break from all that is the IE :)

Banning is also good for fuel, just make sure the guy is there, as I recall no self serve.

The Banning pass ain't that bad, just turbulent, unless you're bringing a kid or dog or sick/elderly with you I wouldn't worry about it

If you tiedown on the ramp north of Signature you might be able to sneak out of their fees, aside from that the airport is really into "security", if you don't mind paying a few extra bucks the Atlantic on the other side of the runways has a swimming pool.

Both sides only have tiedown chains, I'd bring your own line to tiedown as it does get a little windy.

Last edited:
well, I'd prob do Tejon Pass at 9500 - 7500 works but it is much less turbulent mid afternoon from rising air even this time of year -

If you do GMN or LHS you can always scoot over the high desert over PMD to Cajon Pass then along and over San Bernardino to through Banning Pass -

The issue is winds over the mountains - I've been through Banning Pass several times and its been smooth once - that was when the winds were from the east and there was extensive cloud cover over the basin.

If winds are over 15-20knots at 9000 out of 330-040 expect a nasty ride.

Getting to PSP from the high desert without going through a pass requires a descent over Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley - it gets real tight in there and requires decent nav skills and given the terrain to 5000' you can expect a bumpy ride on the way down usually -

The thing is that either way [PMD north of the mountains down over Joshua Tree or over DARTS V186 PDZ/ Banning Pass] ] has lots of options for landing - and from a safety perspective the desert is safer than the citified basin, so its a pick 'em situation for me -

The more I look at the route, I am leaning towards Tejon Pass into the LA basin then east to KPSP..thanks all for the insight.

If you want help quickly, eschew identifiers and spell out the name of the airport. My home is KGOO and I defy you to know off the top of your head that it is Grass Valley.

Having said that ...

Bakersfield to Tehachapi and fuel. THey USED to be the cheapest around; I'd airnav them for sure just in case. Then direct shot to Cajon Pass, Banning, and into the Palm Springs area. Use Palm Springs if you want but they have very expensive fuel and fees.

Jim

PMD direct works pretty well.

(Edit to add: I've flown to and from that area several times out of WVI).

Last edited:
Back