Rough River Kentucky Fly-in 2019 - April 26-28

I’m not sure if I spoke to the same one you did, she wasn’t mean, but not helpful at all. Just directed me to this website
https://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortparks/rough-river/

I flew over here in May and it looks like they had resurfaced the runway.
I was just at Rough River a couple weeks ago. The runway was closed the whole month of June. Had a brand new asphalt job and was nice and smooth

Parking could be a problem

Drats... My plane will be in annual that week. Had to reserve a slot way in advance.

Don't let the closing of the campground affect your decision as I said there are a couple others close by, maybe even closer. It would be nice to be able to walk to the lodge from the air strip, and if I come I will have transportation. We will see what Bryan finds out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Don't let the closing of the campground affect your decision as I said there are a couple others close by, maybe even closer. It would be nice to be able to walk to the lodge from the air strip, and if I come I will have transportation. We will see what Bryan finds out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

What do you mean "if"?

I flew into Rough River last year and it was an interesting approach and landing. The downwind to base turn is around a large outcropping so you loose sight of the runway. Then you have to slip to get down and land on the upper half of the runway. If you land long you go over the hill and have a full power taxi back to the parking area. It's a small area so bring stakes and tie downs. Be careful, an ultralight parked next to me started up and taxied out without pulling away first and threw gravel which chipped my paint. I would call him a stupid ultralight pilot but that would be redundant.

I just left a VM for Mary Salmon (The lady in charge of everything).
She is in a meeting right now.

I hope the rates are lower than shown on the website.
At $139 / night before taxes and etc, that is pretty steep.

I like you guys but not $139 a night like you.

Alright I talked to Mary. Shacking up may save some money
Rooms need to be reserved with a card but you don't have to pay until you arrive.
48 hour cancellation policy w/ full refund

that weekend they have:
20 lodge rooms - $143.96 / nite
2 Small cottage - $188.00 / nite
2 Medium cottage - $215.00 / nite
2 Large Cottage - $242.00 / nite

lodge rooms are 1 room / r bath, 2 twin beds
Small cottage is 2 bedroom 1 bath and has 4 twin beds
Medium cottage has 2 bedroom 2 bath and 4 twin beds
Large Cottage has 2 bedroom 2 bath 4 queen beds, and a kitchen

Since we would be a group, we would get a 10% discount.

Looks like all cottages have 4 bedrooms so if we are cool shacking up, the price gets pretty low 6 available would accomodate 24 people

I am either way on this one. This is a bit more complicated than the former one and more expensive but in the grand scheme of things spending $100 more dollars than last year 9 months from now doesn't bug me too much.

What say the Mighty POA?

Alright I talked to Mary. Shacking up may save some money
Rooms need to be reserved with a card but you don't have to pay until you arrive.
48 hour cancellation policy w/ full refund

that weekend they have:
20 lodge rooms - $143.96 / nite
2 Small cottage - $188.00 / nite
2 Medium cottage - $215.00 / nite
2 Large Cottage - $242.00 / nite

lodge rooms are 1 room / r bath, 2 twin beds
Small cottage is 2 bedroom 1 bath and has 4 twin beds
Medium cottage has 2 bedroom 2 bath and 4 twin beds
Large Cottage has 2 bedroom 2 bath 4 queen beds, and a kitchen

Since we would be a group, we would get a 10% discount.

Looks like all cottages have 4 bedrooms so if we are cool shacking up, the price gets pretty low 6 available would accomodate 24 people

I am either way on this one. This is a bit more complicated than the former one and more expensive but in the grand scheme of things spending $100 more dollars than last year 9 months from now doesn't bug me too much.

What say the Mighty POA?

Splitting cottages 4 ways means the most one would pay would be the large on e @ $60 / nite

I'm in.

My lame ass will probably still be sans-airplane, but I can bring another Caddy in from Nashville (Louisville?).

I ended up paying something like $130 per night last year anyway, so whatever.

Whoever is in my cabin, I hope you don't mind a large, hairy, albeit sexy man walking around in Celine Dion undies.

And what's with all the twin beds in the cottages? I Love Lucy Style.

So it’s THAT kind of fly-in!

It's this kind of fly-in. The kind where everyone gets to sit around and watch Okieflyer make a fool of himself.

Well alrighty then....

27cd9cf40efcc1fcdc7e7474dad3a4a1.jpg

Is it still Apr 26-29 ?

So I don't get on here much...I let Tiger do most of the talking on here on our behalf. After reading this you may understand why. More of a facebook gal (#oldschool). Here is my two cents for what it's worth...2 cents I am guessing. Anyway, I liked Rough River much better. I was sooooo tempted to stay at the hotel as it was hot as balls that particular weekend we went. There was some big event in town I want to say and they were charging around $180/night. Sooo...tent it was! I am guessing it will be off season in April so the rates would be lower than this. They have a really nice beach to cool off at so there is always that. Tiger can attest...I have like a half a degree comfort level when it comes to temperature so this seemed to keep me happy. The restaurant was really good there. In fact several people fly in just to eat there. I'm not much for rules so if there was A no booze allowed sign somewhere...I didn't see it. Even if I had, I would have ignored it. We were the only ones camping there that weekend and we pretty much made the airport our own little room for relaxing. If I recall I wasn't the only one partaking in the consumption of the adult beverages @tawood . I think i would still take the bikes there though. Just easier and plus if you need to go into a town there is one about 5-10 minute flight away. I know this because I forgot my pillow and shoes so off to Walmart we went but that trip requires a bike for sure. So there you have it...the female perspective. You are welcome :)

So I don't get on here much...I let Tiger do most of the talking on here on our behalf. After reading this you may understand why. More of a facebook gal (#oldschool). Here is my two cents for what it's worth...2 cents I am guessing. Anyway, I liked Rough River much better. I was sooooo tempted to stay at the hotel as it was hot as balls that particular weekend we went. There was some big event in town I want to say and they were charging around $180/night. Sooo...tent it was! I am guessing it will be off season in April so the rates would be lower than this. They have a really nice beach to cool off at so there is always that. Tiger can attest...I have like a half a degree comfort level when it comes to temperature so this seemed to keep me happy. The restaurant was really good there. In fact several people fly in just to eat there. I'm not much for rules so if there was A no booze allowed sign somewhere...I didn't see it. Even if I had, I would have ignored it. We were the only ones camping there that weekend and we pretty much made the airport our own little room for relaxing. If I recall I wasn't the only one partaking in the consumption of the adult beverages @tawood . I think i would still take the bikes there though. Just easier and plus if you need to go into a town there is one about 5-10 minute flight away. I know this because I forgot my pillow and shoes so off to Walmart we went but that trip requires a bike for sure. So there you have it...the female perspective. You are welcome :)

did anyone else read this as one long run on sentence with no punctuation or even a breath from start to finish?

Back