Ron's Grumman Tiger in Museum?

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Ron,

I saw this Grumman Tiger in the maintenance area of the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and was wondering
grumman_tiger%20%28Large%29.jpg
if it's your's, or just very similar? :D

Attachments

• grumman_tiger (Large).jpg
    grumman_tiger (Large).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 70
Do you have a picture of more of it?
Here's another picture of the Grumman Tiger, along with some other shots I took in the hangar.

The prop is from Heath's plane crash in which he perished. The plane being rebuilt is a replicaa of that plane from the plans. It's a float-plane.

There are also a couple of sailplane wings for Tony and Pete.

Also, there's an earlier Blue Angels plane used for training, but never in an airshow.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • heath_prop (Large).jpg
    heath_prop (Large).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Heath_2 (Large).JPG
    Heath_2 (Large).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0768 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0768 (Large).JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Was that prop made from magnesium? It has the appearance of corroded magnesium.

I doubt it, since that would be pretty flammable, but I admit I don't know.
The reason for my question. The hubs on the A-6 and S-3 were magnesium. There was particular attention to be paid to wheel fires as a result.

It does look like it is a Mg alloy of some sort. Mg is used in airplanes a lot. The B36 had a Mg alloy skin BTW.

aren't the old V tail elevators magnesium? would be fun to find some and burn them

Well IIRC Ron flew planes with both Nay Vee and Air Farce on them depending upon who's saying it.
Correct, although some of the planes with AF on the tail that I flew actually belonged to the Air National Guard. BTW, the only single-engine Grumman jet I ever flew was the TF9J Cougar (2-seat trainer version of the Korean War vintage F9F Cougar fighter).

Last edited:
Back