Romona, CA (RNM)

RalphInCA

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
RalphInCA
Planning to fly into Romona, CA airport RNM soon.

Any locals with advice for a low time pilot? Or is it a pretty easy airport to find and land at?

Easy to find, easy to land, easy to park. I used to go there all the time. Aerobatic box just to the north and appr to Miramar to the SW, but isn't any problem.

It's Ramona, or the locals will come after you...

It's pretty easy...if you're VFR and coming from the north report at Lake Wohlford to avoid the Miramar Class B. Tower typically puts you on an extended right base for Rwy 27.

There is a lot of flight training activity in the area north of the airport, so be vigilant when approaching. Also watch out for gusty winds in the afternoon, especially when it's hot.

That's MIRAMAR Class B !

I saw that and thought that was all part of San Diego Lindbergh. Two Class Bs jammed together. Interesting.

That's MIRAMAR Class B !

I saw that and thought that was all part of San Diego Lindbergh. Two Class Bs jammed together. Interesting.

Houston is even weirder. Two SFC rings, and a 2000' figure 8 with a passage between the two surface. Gulp.

Stay below 4800 ft and you should be fine :lol:

Cool little airport, been there a few times - was the "end" of my long XC from TOA (stopped at CRQ on the way).

The times I've been there the tower has had a nice sense of humor. Kept calling me 35 Papa (it's 53 Papa), after a few I "corrected" - he said "stick your head out and make sure" :)

Hey, them tower guys have to have fun, too.

I once had a ground controller offer to divert a flock of Canada geese off the parallel taxiway after I announced I was holding for them.

Hey, them tower guys have to have fun, too.

I once had a ground controller offer to divert a flock of Canada geese off the parallel taxiway after I announced I was holding for them.

Yep. I've been in our tower many times, always had a good laugh or two.

Ramona is pretty easy, and generally fairly quiet unless CRQ is crowded with training. When it is people head to RNM for traffic pattern practice. One of the controllers there will make you feel like you're on a game show("Come onnnn dowwwwwwwnnnn") but I've yet to have a negative experience.

Just be aware it is also a fire fighting airport with several planes based there. If there is a fire they are being dispatched to, they get first priority and you will be moved around by ATC. I was on final to land when tower told me to turn left immediately as 2 fire fighting planes had to take off ASAP for a dispatch. Other than that, pretty easy airport.

-Brian

I had a go around there once in training..... There was a cow on the runway...seriously. A cow.

Houston is even weirder. Two SFC rings, and a 2000' figure 8 with a passage between the two surface. Gulp.

Aint nothing to worry bout. The surface rings line up with some local freeway landmarks... you can IFR (I follow roads) right through there with no probe

That was a Moooooooooney :mad2:
Prolly.... You know how those Moooney drivers always like you to know they are on the field!

We also had a C152 being driven by a fighter pilot....yes....a real fighter pilot attempt a go around there.... well, under stress, he reverted back to his F/A 18 skills and completely chopped the throttle. As you know, the throttles are backwards.

Well, the engine went one way, the plane another and both pilot and CFI ended up hanging from their belts on the runway.....wheels up. I was on the ground at CRQ getting ready to go up when that went down.....

Back