Rocket launcher discovered at BWI Airport; second found this week

rk911

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rk911
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/bwi-airport-rocket-launcher-second-found-this-week
Military equipment was seized at Baltimore Washington International Airport on Thursday – the second such seizure in days – after it was brought back on a military flight by a U.S. Air Force sergeant who kept it as a keepsake.

The rocket launch tube was discovered around 5:20 a.m. in the American Airlines baggage area of the airport, located in Maryland, the Office of the State’s Fire Marshal’s Bomb Squad announced.
Before being flown to the U.S., the "inert" equipment was inspected by U.S. military officials for safety and was "empty of any explosive hazard," according to a press release from the office. It was returned to the country by a sergeant "as a souvenir of their service abroad."
Authorities said the tube "presents no immediate threat to anyone on the ground," but noted "there is a slight chance that it could contain pressurized gas, and was therefore not allowed on the Sergeant's connecting commercial flight."

The rocket launch tube was taken in by the bomb squad "until it can be safely returned to the owner."

Note: I laughed out loud when I read the next paragraph. Duh.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) reminded passengers earlier this week not to bring explosives or devices that shoot explosives on airplanes – even if they're just replicas – after finding a fake grenade and a real missile launcher at two different airports.

TSA also discovered a grenade at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey in someone's checked luggage. Explosives experts eventually determined that it was actually a highly realistic replica of a grenade.

Military weapons are not permitted in checked or carry-on bags," said the transportation agency, which did not immediately return Fox News' request for comment regarding Thursday's equipment seizure.

Likely another inert & harmless tube, though I’d never pack one. Same with the grenades, dummies for dummies.

Just yesterday I was given a crate of old ammo. One item appeared to be a mortar round of sorts. While I was sorting & evaluating I surmised the round was void of powder, projectile comes off.

I’ve see empty rocket tubes for sale, no reason to get one’s dander up.

I just keep wondering why all these folks traveling have all the fun toys. :)

After desert storm I spent a month at the port of Beaumont in Texas test flying aircraft that were put back together by contractors , after the trip home on a ship...unit aircraft from Ft Hood, Bliss and Carson for the most part. I had a OH-58 that just hovered horrible out of rig. Closer inspection we removed 4 AK-74s taped into the tail boom...Other war trophy’s were also found...nothing much happened and not really sure where they ended up...GI Joe likes his trophy’s

Last time I traveled commercial, they stole my tube of sunblock in the name of national security.

Back