Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.....

T Bone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
T Bone
Aka, the "Rock Hall", so I hear it's called. Discussing this over in another thread, seems to me it may deserve one of it's own :D .

Liz A said:
"The field" meaning BKL no doubt? Hrrmmmm... beware of the FBO there (Million Air) and a wee bit of highway robbery. They slap you with a $35 so-called "landing fee" and a $3 "security fee". Sound exorbitant for a SE plane? It gets better. When you look at the receipt, it's not a landing fee at all but "ramp and parking fees". Then a month later an invoice arrives in the mail from the Department of Port Control at CLE, that's for the REAL landing fee - another $5. So it's $43 to park a single engine aircraft on the ramp at BKL for a few hours! If I went there again, I would call ahead to find out if there's any place to park away from the FBO entirely.

Sorry for the thread drift, just wanted to post a warning about that!

ObOnTopic: I couldn't find anything in the Mich Airport Directory about the Lake Erie LRS. And as Ed points out, it's a FSS provided service so you would need permission, I believe, for a freq change from ATC (if you go through Canadian airspace you must be on an assigned squawk). From 1D2 it might be easier to just cut south along the shore.

Liz

edited to add: I misread your post first time, it sounds like you will be in a rental and so planned from the start to take the shoreline route. Would probably do the same... though I've taken a newer Marine City rental to both MCD and 3W2.

Yep, that'd be the one. Thanks for the heads up! I would call ahead to inquire as to fees, but plan on the unexpected anyway. I hate getting hit with unexpected fees, but... hey, welcome to aviation, me :p . The shoreline is my intended route, though I'd probably want to duck further in/out by the Fermi II Nuke Plant. Also, I may by then be looking at a rental Diamond from KONZ, if they're still there.... (I need to check that out!). Something interesting you mentioned was 3W2, hadn't thought of that (never been there). And interestingly, it's just over 51 NM from 1D2 (I'm looking to get XC time built towards an instrument ticket this Summer while I get to know the freedom of flying in our area).

Thanks for the responses!

The only time I was to BKL was in March, and I didn't have time to visit the Hall of Fame - nor the Women's Aviation Museum, sadly. If I can avoid MillionAir it looks like I'll have to make a return visit there sometime.

Put-in Bay is a great place to spend a lazy summer day - get there early enough to rent a golf cart and you're all set to tour the island. There are restaurants, guided tours of a winery, a tower with an observation deck near the top, and lots more. It's not Mackinac Island, but it's pretty cool all the same. Just be sure to note and follow the rules for aircraft, it's left pattern on 21 but right pattern on 3, give the tower a wide berth, etc. And plan to leave at least a half hour (IIRC) *before* sunset, as it is illegal to operate an aircraft there later than that.

Liz

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info, I've put Put in Bay on my must do list.... Just barely XC from 1D2 too! It's close enough, I may go there for a short jump in the Diamond out of KONZ first (checkout soon). It's a nice short hop from there.

T-Bone, the Diamonds are still flying out of Brooklynair at ONZ. Say hi to Paul if you're out there.

Kyle Thornley said:
T-Bone, the Diamonds are still flying out of Brooklynair at ONZ. Say hi to Paul if you're out there.

Paul is a great guy, isn't he. I met him last year (and I think the year before) at the airshow. He's not with them anymore though, the man I spoke to says he's flying for (he thinks) Mesaba ? Anyway, I begin (finish??) my checkout in the C1 tomorrow....:yes:

Back