Roberts Rules of Order

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
I was in a meeting the other night and the Commander, American Legion, had the Judge Advocate listen to the motion being presented and then the Judge Advocate advised the Commander not to recognize the motion.

Is this a correct procedure?

It was a motion to go into "Executive Session" to discuss an officer removal and appointment. It was sure to be "Confrontational".

After reading through Roberts Rules of Order, I don't see this as being a correct parliamentary procedure.

Terry

If the speaker making the motion was recognized by the chair to speak, then the motion must be entertained. Assuming it gets a second, it can be discussed, voted on or tabled.

Manipulation of RRoR is by far the most fun way to screw with any organization claiming to follow it.

Speaker recognizes person "A."
Person "A" makes a motion to go into executive meeting.

Speaker has Judge Advocate listen to the reason of why Person "A" wants an executive meeting. In front of everybody.

Judge Advocate advises Speaker not to recognize the motion.

Speaker does not recognize the motion and adjourns the meeting.

This appears to be an illegal procedure and in this instance, the meeting, even though it has been a month is not considered adjourned.

Terry

Is my logic Correct?

A motion to adjourn is always in order,if there is a motion on the floor,if it has been seconded it has to be voted on. If the board goes into executive session ,all votes taken must be announced to the body.

A motion to adjourn is always in order,if there is a motion on the floor,if it has been seconded it has to be voted on. If the board goes into executive session ,all votes taken must be announced to the body.

The motion to adjourn is always in order, and takes precedence over all other business.

This, of course, assumes the organization really adheres to the rules.

I was in a meeting the other night and the Commander, American Legion, had the Judge Advocate listen to the motion being presented and then the Judge Advocate advised the Commander not to recognize the motion.

It was a motion to go into "Executive Session" to discuss an officer removal and appointment. It was sure to be "Confrontational".

After reading through Roberts Rules of Order, I don't see this as being a correct parliamentary procedure.

Terry

The bylaws should spell it out.

Is a motion to go into executive session a privileged motion?

If it isn't then it is not in order when other business is pending before the body. If it is, then it would depend what other motion is pending, and where the motion for executive session sits in the order of precedence.

The closest analogue I can see in my, admittedly dated, copy of Roberts would be a motion to "Commit" or "Refer", as you would be referring a question to the Executive, effectively a committee. A motion to Commit is in order most of the time, but not when a motion to amend is before the assembly, or when a motion to adjourn, fix the time to adjourn, or appeal a decision of the chair.

Ultimately, the decision of the chair can be appealed.

Terry
If not a question of privilege, did the meeting proceed to the orders of the day? If not, was there a 2/3rds vote? If not, meeting is out of order.

Notwithstanding the preceding comment, Robert's Rules of Order present an orderly and presentable (easy to read) standing.

FYI: I carried my pocket RRoO to all HOA meetings when I did live in an HOA. The merriment that sometimes followed was well worth it.

Oh wait, American Legion you say? Well, forthwith Independence Day celebrations, a muster of detail to carry out firing line duties. Snap caps out.

Back