RLS

Further, the FAA is a bit testy on the subject of sleep disorders right now. You need to have statements that you've been on sinimet (or just l-dopa) for 30 days, that it is working without side effects, and that you are getting good sleep.

Further, the FAA is a bit testy on the subject of sleep disorders right now. You need to have statements that you've been on sinimet (or just l-dopa) for 30 days, that it is working without side effects, and that you are getting good sleep.

With zero evidence it's going to have any significant change in safety...

While they pander to the airlines and haven't modified the crew rest rules significantly which have documented cases of poor rest and commuting being a secondary factor of bad judgment.

Agreed with the others that said "go find a seriously good AME." Just thought I'd point out that FAA being "testy" on a topic, hasn't meant much in terms of actually being tied to significant safety gains or lower accident rates in the last 30 years.

Sean, as a person that has suffered with rls for most of my adult life i thought i would share my experiences.
6 months ago i decided that i would like to learn to fly and decided to work on passing the medical first. I had been taking sinemet for years and this medication was approved by the faa.
When i first started looking into this issue about rls and the faa on the internet this thread was just about the only useful info i could find.
I contacted Dr. Bruce about this matter and his guidance help me with my medical.

Sinimet is the only medication allowed by the faa and it will require a SI on you medical.
This medication is pretty weak in my opinion but it produces results.
In the time that i have been taking sinemet i have developed a few rules.
1) don't take it to stop an attack,it has no effect.
2) I don't take it on a full stomach. It works better if you get it into your system fast.
3) I take it 1 hour before i want to go to sleep. I wait for about 20 minutes after i take the medication then i move around the house for about 20 minutes.
I don't know why but if you take the med and just sit around the med seams to have little effect. Moving around seems to work the med into your body where it is needed.

Thank you for the info on Sinimet - I really appreciate it!
It does look like the only FAA legal option for RLS.

I have read some medical reports and reviews from pilots that indicate Gabapentin and Requip, have had better long term results with minimal side effects. I love flying, and have had the privilege of flying for the past 27 years, however at this point I am more focused on finding the best option with minimum side effects even if it means being grounded from my job.

I begin getting the symptoms gradually a year ago; they increased several months ago and started resulting in too many nights with too few hours of sleep. My doctor is still running a few more tests, but says it looks like RLS and started me on Gabapentin which has worked well with no side effects so far.

RLS was something I had never even heard of until a month ago, and I appreciate the info like this as it is very helpful for making decisions - THANKS!

Sean

Flying Ron,
That is what my AME said as well.
It does not sound like they will be relaxing this stance anytime soon either.
Thanks.
Sean

After three tours of Afghanistan, I was diag with RLS for which my doctor perscribed Gabipin. Tried going off when I joined the Civil Air Patrol and applied for my third class medical. The AME taged me as a sever hazzard to safe flight. Appeals to OKC had the same result as other comments.
Does anyone have any experience with quinine and approved meds? Else, I must hang up my logbook and turn in my CAP pilot card.

Has anyone looked into Basic Med for GA flying? Had a friend call AOPA legal and it appears basic med is an option for Ga if you meet the basic med requirements

Has anyone looked into Basic Med for GA flying? Had a friend call AOPA legal and it appears basic med is an option for Ga if you meet the basic med requirements
I think most people here already knew this... :lol:

Seriously, Basic Med is an alternative form of medical certification that substitutes for a 3rd class for most purposes. Non-commercial GA flying requires only a 3rd class. So yeah, Basic Med is definitely an option for MOST GA flying. At least the kind that most of us do here. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back