Ripping Video from Web sites

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
My office co-worker has an elderly mother in hospice care. She is not likely to recover.

She wants to see President-elect Obama's victory speech. The speech is very available on sites like YouTube and Hulu, I am sure there are others. There is no internet connectivity in the Hospice, or at least in her room. My co-worker wants to somehow download this speech onto his laptop so that she can view the speech.

I don't have (or don't think I have) the capability of ripping that speech off one of these sites. If someone is willing to do that for me, and then email me the file, please send me a PM and I will respond with my email address and my gratitude. Thanks in advance.

*Edit* This will be for a Windows platform.

-Skip

Last edited:
Jason -
Out of curiosity, how do perform the task?

It could be as easy as installing a firefox extension that allows you to save a youtube video (many of those exist).

There are, shall we say, other places where one can access video files made available for download. I have no problems going to those places in this case because of the content in this particular video (meaning that it doesn't necessarily carry a copyright...at least not one that will be enforced).

It could be as easy as installing a firefox extension that allows you to save a youtube video (many of those exist).

There are, shall we say, other places where one can access video files made available for download. I have no problems going to those places in this case because of the content in this particular video (meaning that it doesn't necessarily carry a copyright...at least not one that will be enforced).

Since I run FF, can you advise of which extension?

My sincere thanks to Jason! Not only did he rip the file and put it on a website for me to grab, but when it ran audio only, he suggested a player program that when downloaded and installed, works like a champ. Thanks again!

-Skip

My sincere thanks to Jason! Not only did he rip the file and put it on a website for me to grab, but when it ran audio only, he suggested a player program that when downloaded and installed, works like a champ. Thanks again!

-Skip

VLC, I presume?

Just a thought about how I run my laptop. I run all portable applications on my laptop meaning I do not install anything unless it requires installation (like some of these large flight planning software titles). By not installing anything everything is running from the drive and memory and does not slow the machine down.

VLC and Firefox and most really good programs have been ported to portable apps. You can download them at www.portableapps.com.

Back