RIP Dan Folgelberg - age 56

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
Just hearing some of those songs puts me back to other places, other times...

strong connections.

Rest in peace, brother. :(

Wow, that's a shock. Unfortunately, my strongest memory of his songs was when his most well-known song came out, Same Old Lang Syne. The song was sad and so was the time even though it was Christmas. My dad was terminal with cancer.

Rest well, Sir.

If you want to hear a sample of his greatest hits, you can go here, and select "sample all."

http://www.pandora.com/music/album/dan+fogelberg/greatest+hits

I grew up with all of his songs, and I love Same Old Lang Syne. I guess most people have had that experience (as have I), which is why the song was so popular. I love Heart Hotels too (and Hard to Say and Make Love Stay and...)

:(

I've always loved his songs. Such wonderful lyrics.

Prostate cancer. According to the obit in my paper today, he discovered it back in 2004 and it was advanced then.

Alright all of us old guys (+40). We all HATE with a passion the prostate exam. Nonetheless, make sure you go out and get it done every couple of years, and then every year after you turn 50. It just may save your life...

Jim G

:( Cancer took another good one. :(

I've been listening to Dan this morning. The favorites keep changing from song to song. "To The Morning", "Wysteria", "Changing Horses", "There's A Place In The World For A Gambler"........

Years ago, the time spent listening to Dan Folgelberg was also a time of upheavals, transitions, and intense introspection. It helped to have him with me on that journey.

oh man ... so sad! He will be missed. I liked everything I heard from him.

My wife has been following his fight with cancer for that past year or so on his web site. We had Fogelberg's "Longer" played at our wedding. I feel like I've lost a friend.

Dang! I always liked his stuff. I remember first hearing a song by him at YMCA camp, and buying one of his albums as soon as I got home.

Cancer sucks! :(

I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back when I worked concerts at Walnut Creek. You couldn't have met a more down to earth guy. He put on a great concert too.

I had the privilege of doing some engineering work on "High Country Snows" on a recommendation from Ricky Skaggs, who I'd met in school. Dan was a terrific musician and a joy to work with. Working on his record more than made up for the previous slog-work I'd been doing around nashville at the time. You've never suffered until you've suffered through bad country music, and doing the bluegrass-oriented stuff with Dan (under Marty Lewis' tutelage) restored my faith in talent and hard work.

Last edited:
Back