RHV guys -- Cherokee crash near Mt. Whitney

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
I don't know many details about this.

CAP was activated late Monday night for an ELT search for a missing aircraft out of RHV, overdue at Lone Pine. Camarillo responded and found an ELT signal in Sequoia National Park. At first light, Fresno launched a visual search (CAP requires turbo aircraft -- and there are only two statewide -- for high terrain searches), and found the aircraft by midmorning, record time for a visual search. The aircraft was mostly intact in the "Forgotton Canyon" in the high country near Mt. Whitney, and the solo pilot survived with minor injuries despite going down in the Sierra and having to overnight in place. It appears he was above the tree line so he was spared that nightmare, and it probably made the search substantially easier. 26 hours after departure, about 2PM Tuesday, he was picked up by a USFS helicopter.

The aircraft was a white Cherokee. I don't know if it was a turbo or a retract, but that's some real high terrain around there. Does anyone know anything else? Especially, what went wrong? Engine trouble? Weather? Box canyon/rising terrain? That's some of the highest terrain in the Lower 48.

Needless to say, CAP is relieved for the pilot and his family. This is how it is supposed to work.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/09/16/4126922/private-plane-goes-down-south.html

406 or 121.5 ELT is the big question.

Having crossed the Sierra's a few times, I make note of the various alpine meadows. There really are quite a few of them that will provide a survivable landing option.

I always make sure my survival gear bag (including a few aluminized blankets) is in the plane before a Sierra crossing.

I was happy when I saw that the pilot survived.

I participated in a CAP training exercise over the weekend, and on Saturday I rode in the nearly new turbo 206 that was used to find the downed aircraft on Tuesday. Very nice airplane!

I called to check on a friend who flies a Cherokee out of Reid after reading this. His was not the accident pilot, and acted hurt that I thought he was 67 years old. He is 73. :rofl:

What a wonderful ending to this story really. The search and rescue was successful and they found him quickly. He is alive. Good news all around considering that he went down in the Sierras.

I was happy when I saw that the pilot survived.

I participated in a CAP training exercise over the weekend, and on Saturday I rode in the nearly new turbo 206 that was used to find the downed aircraft on Tuesday. Very nice airplane!

So did I. With the pilot who found it.

It's a real nice airplane. I'd hate to evacuate that thing, though. The pilot has an OK time, but the back seater and especially the right seater don't. And if the flaps are down for an emergency landing, opening that rear door is "interesting." Probably not a good idea to operate the flap motor due to fire risk.

I also found out later that Oakland participated in the ELT search. Gotta give credit where due.

This is a big deal. ELT searches usually end up with false alarms, and those that aren't don't often have survivors that need rescuing.

Not only is the pilot alive, he's in good condition. This could have been a whole heck of a lot worse.

Last edited:
So did I. With the pilot who found it.

Yeah, I just noticed it was the same pilot. Which sortie were you on? Mine was the first sortie of the weekend.

It's a real nice airplane. I'd hate to evacuate that thing, though. The pilot has an OK time, but the back seater and especially the right seater don't. And if the flaps are down for an emergency landing, opening that rear door is "interesting." Probably not a good idea to operate the flap motor due to fire risk.

When I rode in it, the pilot pointed out that the new 206s have a cutout in the right flap that allows the rear cargo door to be open with flaps extended, and he showed us where the lever was to recline the seatback, which makes egress through that route much more doable.

It was a very productive weekend for me, because not only did I learn a lot, but I was also able to complete reinstating my long-expired scanner rating.

I also found out later that Oakland participated in the ELT search. Gotta give credit where due.

This is a big deal. ELT searches usually end up with false alarms, and those that aren't don't often have survivors that need rescuing.

Not only is the pilot alive, he's in good condition. This could have been a whole heck of a lot worse.

Amen to that.

Back