RGBeard's Dad, Russ.

My sincere condolences sir. Drawn out decay is an especially cruel way to go, let alone witness. I got so much more I can say about that sub-topic, but this isn't the time and place.

The hole of our gone loved ones never fills (to me), but I hope the passage of time provides you with the opportunity to rejoice in the lasting and endearing qualities you value about his presence in your life. Those fingerprints he left that only you know and see, in the reflection of your own life. It's all we can do and still get out of bed and face the next day's challenge. Again, my heartfelt condolences.

Your father has a familiar look....IBM! My flying club formed as an IBM employee club, white shirt and tie was standard. Having friends, relatives, and in-laws who have had careers at IBM, I will agree that they are typically very talented people. My son's Father In-law still wears a white shirt and tie for any special occasion.

Thankfully, my mind remains reasonably useful, I would hate to endure what your Dad did. His last medical expired about the same time mine did. We also achieved PPL at about the same time, but I am a decade older. I hate to see younger guys pass away.

His "Hobby" of horses that increased to a large stable surely kept his mind occupied and even challenged before Alzheimer's took its toll.

My Dad passed away 75 years ago, but just this week, I was explaining to a friend some of the things that he taught me that guide present decisions, and kept me out of trouble in the years past. I am very glad that you had so many good years with your Dad.

Thanks, again, all.

This has been an amazing outlet for me and I am appreciative.

I thank everyone here and especially the POA support at today’s service for my dad. (I’m humbled and appreciative more than you can probably imagine.)

Dad took pride in his greaser landings waking me up to blue taxiway lights when I was little.

For the dads reading this - here’s your takeaway. Aviation is contagious and you can’t predict just how much you and your hobbies “infect”’your kids.

Love them, teach them and convert fuel to airspeed as much as practical.

Back