Review-GPS-EKP IV

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
Well, I just received the new terrain update from Avmap today. played around with it and I really like it. Rumors that the EKP IV will have the ability to integrate weather and traffic would make this unit by far the best. Right now I would settle for a way to upload flight plans. The menu for the EKP IV can be intimidating at first glance. It definitely takes some time playing with it, and some reading to become familiar enough to be comfortable with. Something you will not want to play with for the first time in the cockpit. There are several steps needed to configure and reach the many different menus. involving multiple steps. (see attached screenshots)..The redraw on the AvMaps exclusive software is fast and clear. I have noticed a difference to the redraw with the new terrain feature. When scrolling off the current page the screen will go white for a few seconds until the redraw catches up. This doesn't effect normal operations with the moving map though. The new terrain will only show when in "North Up" mode. I have heard several complaints about this from other users, but i feel that seeing your plane in relation to where your going makes reporting that much easier to comprehend. The bright large 7" diagonal color screen makes viewing details painless, and rather pleasant. Overall I was not impressed with the EKP IV when I first bought it. But the new features, and promised soon to be features will prove this handheld a handy companion.

I took a small video with my camera for those of you that want to see it in action. Download Video Here.

Michael

Thanks Michael, nice review and cool video. I appreciate the effort, this will help me in deciding which GPS to buy. The EKP has been the front runner with me for some time.

Ya' know, I've read the posts of some of the discontented folks on their website's forum, and three things come to mind. They're upset that a promise was broken. The company is very gutsy to leave that display of discontent posted for others to read, and gain som measure of respect from me for it.

I've wondered since the announcement, if there was simply a communication error from the beginning, and perhaps this terrain depiction feature (they didn't develope this over night afterall) was actually what was originally intended when they announced they'd have "terrain awareness" coming as a free upgrade. Seems plausible to me.

At any rate, as of earlier today, there were a couple of posts from the folks who'd previously dissented.... praising the new terrain depiction! I think things will calm down there considerably, and I hope the weather and flight planning capability follow. No question, the hardware seems top shelf!

Bump.... I thought this one needed to be bounced :)goofy:) back to the top one time. He went to the trouble to post video even, and I just thought maybe folks here might have missed it. ;)

Michael, does the program give popups if you are heading for terrain? Or is it more like a reference basemap?

T Bone said:
Bump.... I thought this one needed to be bounced :)goofy:) back to the top one time. He went to the trouble to post video even, and I just thought maybe folks here might have missed it. ;)

Very nice video. Thanks for the bump up.

Iceman said:
Michael, does the program give popups if you are heading for terrain? Or is it more like a reference basemap?
No Pop Ups Chris, [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]this is not terrain awereness, it is terrain depiction. It doesnt take much to move the cursur in front of your position to see the elevation though..

Michael

[/font][/font]

Back