Returning Pilot - Lots of Questions/OSA/SI

Papa Foxtrot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Papa Foxtrot
Shortly after getting my PPSEL in the 90's, my employer transferred me from North Carolina to the Atlanta area. Larger mortgage, higher cost of living and two daughters shelved my recreational flying. Fast forward 15 years, the girls are grown, finances are better and I'm itching to get back in the air.

Now the rest of the story. I'm 57 years old. My last 3rd Class Medical was in 1996. I was diagnosed with OSA in 1998 and sleep with a CPAP. In addition, I'm on hypertension med's. Both conditions are well controlled. I've been reading everything that I can find on-line - especially regarding OSA and Special Issuance(that's what lead me here - thank you Google). I'm not ready to go Sport Pilot yet, so I'm gearing up for the process to come and want to maximize my chances of success.

I'm not in a real hurry, but I'm ready to get the ball rolling. My next annual follow-up with the CPAP tech is in late August. I should be able to get in to see the doctor then also(just need to call and set it up). This being ATL, I'm sure it's not the first time they'be been asked for the necessary package of information. Just to be sure tho' - can someone(Bruce?) give me a checklist of what to look for?

Also, I'll need a good AME for the process. I live on the south side, near Peachtree City - any AME recommendations there? With the large population of airline pilots down there, I'm sure they've been down this road too.

From what I've read, I understand the process goes as follows:

First - gather documentation from pulmonologist.

Second - start medical process online

Third - medical exam with AME

Fourth - submit paperwork to OKC

Then, wait...

Does the AME submit the paperwork to OKC, or should I(express mail/proof of delivery??)? How long can I expect the process to take? How long should I expect the SI to be effective(I understand that they're conditional on compliance)?

Anything else that I should know to improve my chances of success on the first attempt?

Sorry about all the questions for my first post here, but I'm sure that I'll have more before I'm done.

Thanks in advance!

Add step 2-1/2 -- sit down with your AME to review the information before signing/submitting the medical application. Once you sign/submit, you're stuck with it. If you obtain a "consultation" before making the application official, you may identify anything else which might need to be addressed to make the "official" exam go smoothly.

Also, Step 4 should be the AME's job, not yours. You give it to the doc, and the doc sends it to the FAA. Only if the FAA comes back with a request for more data after the application and supporting documentation are submitted by the AME will you be working directly with the FAA.

I'm not ready to go Sport Pilot yet, so I'm gearing up for the process to come and want to maximize my chances of success.

You do understand that if you try and fail you are locked out of sport pilot for forever, right?

(Unless you somehow pull out a pass some time in the future.)

But, other than that, what Ron said.

You do understand that if you try and fail you are locked out of sport pilot for forever, right?

Yep - thus the reason for this thread. I want to stack the deck in my favor to the fullest extent possible. Ron's Step 2 1/2 suggestion is a great one. If I'm not 99% comfortable after that meeting that the outcome will be successful, then I'll drop it and go Sport Pilot.

With over a decade of successful CPAP use, I'm pretty confident of my chances for an SI.

Yep - thus the reason for this thread. I want to stack the deck in my favor to the fullest extent possible. Ron's Step 2 1/2 suggestion is a great one. If I'm not 99% comfortable after that meeting that the outcome will be successful, then I'll drop it and go Sport Pilot.

With over a decade of successful CPAP use, I'm pretty confident of my chances for an SI.
:thumbsup:

Papa, contact Dr. Bruce. He has the factual answers. Do exactly what he says. His fees are VERY modest. Just do it.
He is very good at answering email, also.

*I am not a pilot* (so treat my words as such)

But I am a member of the Lawrenceville EAA chapter, and I can tell you that's a good resource. Not sure what part of the ATL area you're from, but we're based at LZU.

That said, we had an AME, Dr. Steve Leonard present at our chapter a few months back, and he seemed to be very much a pilot's advocate. If you're interested, our next chapter meeting is tomorrow night, we generally meet at The Flying Machine on the other side of the field for dinner starting around 6, then go to the hangar at 690 Airport Dr, starting around 7:30 or so, for the meeting which starts at 8.

Papa, contact Dr. Bruce. He has the factual answers. Do exactly what he says. His fees are VERY modest. Just do it.
He is very good at answering email, also.

Thanks - good advice. I've already looked at his site and will follow up with an email tonight.

But I am a member of the Lawrenceville EAA chapter, and I can tell you that's a good resource. Not sure what part of the ATL area you're from, but we're based at LZU.

That said, we had an AME, Dr. Steve Leonard present at our chapter a few months back, and he seemed to be very much a pilot's advocate. If you're interested, our next chapter meeting is tomorrow night, we generally meet at The Flying Machine on the other side of the field for dinner starting around 6, then go to the hangar at 690 Airport Dr, starting around 7:30 or so, for the meeting which starts at 8.

I'm looking for a good EAA Chapter. Unfortunately, I'm on the SW side of ATL near Peachtree City. Not real convenient to LZU - not a big problem, but Friday night's usually belong to the lovely wife. Our work week can get pretty crazy and Friday night is "our time".

I was very active in Ch. 309 in Charlotte - President, Newsletter Editor, etc., but never managed to "get connected" down here. Made an attempt with one chapter(shall remain nameless), but felt like I was on outside looking in. I just recently re-upped with EAA for the first time in years, so I'll be getting serious about a local chapter now. Without a local chapter, EAA membership is just a pretty magazine, IMO.

Thanks for the invitation. Tomorrow's not do-able, but I'll be by to see you guys soon.

For the OSA, if you don't have it, I believe you will need a recent (as in within past 90 days) sleep lab test and interpretation. But confirm with Dr. Bruce Chien first. Most of the situations I've commented on have been airmen who suspect or were recently diagnosed with OSA versus your situation where you've been compliant with therapy for a while.

Things needed will be: The sleep lab report, and status letter from doc showing compliant with therapy (include chip readout), no tendancy to fall asleep during normal day (Epworth score), and no right heart damage discovered on exam.

Does the AME submit the paperwork to OKC, or should I(express mail/proof of delivery??)? How long can I expect the process to take? How long should I expect the SI to be effective(I understand that they're conditional on compliance)?

Once you have your required documentation, bring copies to the AME. Best is if you organize it by grouping it by condition. For me, one group was OSA, another was my Diabetes II. Mark the top right of each page with your full name and your birth date.

The AME will be sending in the documents with his normal submittal.

But you can also submit them direct to OKC. Send them to
Federal Aviation Administration
Aerospace Medical Certification Division
PO Box 2680
OKC OK 73215​

Again, have each page with your full name (last name first) and birth date. When sending, send it CMRRR, and make sure to get the green post card back with the signature of the mail room. The items will then be scanned into the system within the next few days.

Submitting straight to OKC doesn't guarantee you will be approved any faster, but it does help if something from the AME's end causes a slowdown. In my case 2 years ago, my AME did send it in a timely fashion, but I believe that my sending copies on the same day helped get easily read copies in front of the reviewer much faster.

Last I heard, new SI approvals were approaching 90-120 days if done via the "normal" channels.

As an alternative, the really awesome AME's (like Dr. Chien) are willing to do what they can to obtain permission to provide your SI and medical certificate issuance while you're still in the office, as everything is in order and there is nothing about your health situation that prevents issuance. But the challenge is that there are very few AME's of this awesome level.

While I have yet taken advantage of Dr. Chien's awesomeness, many here have and are grateful they did. If you are seeking to obtain your medical quickly, you might consider taking the trip to Peoria. The difference between now and waiting a v.e.r.y l.o.n.g time might be worth the cost of the trip.

I've been on SI for OSA for over 10 years now, so it is doable. I understand they're tightening up a few things, so will also vote for "contact Doc Bruce" for the latest requirements, specific items and phrases to have included in your correspondence, etc ...

Good luck!

Shortly after getting my PPSEL in the 90's, my employer transferred me from North Carolina to the Atlanta area. Larger mortgage, higher cost of living and two daughters shelved my recreational flying. Fast forward 15 years, the girls are grown, finances are better and I'm itching to get back in the air.

Now the rest of the story. I'm 57 years old. My last 3rd Class Medical was in 1996. I was diagnosed with OSA in 1998 and sleep with a CPAP. In addition, I'm on hypertension med's. Both conditions are well controlled. I've been reading everything that I can find on-line - especially regarding OSA and Special Issuance(that's what lead me here - thank you Google). I'm not ready to go Sport Pilot yet, so I'm gearing up for the process to come and want to maximize my chances of success.

I'm not in a real hurry, but I'm ready to get the ball rolling. My next annual follow-up with the CPAP tech is in late August. I should be able to get in to see the doctor then also(just need to call and set it up). This being ATL, I'm sure it's not the first time they'be been asked for the necessary package of information. Just to be sure tho' - can someone(Bruce?) give me a checklist of what to look for?

Also, I'll need a good AME for the process. I live on the south side, near Peachtree City - any AME recommendations there? With the large population of airline pilots down there, I'm sure they've been down this road too.

From what I've read, I understand the process goes as follows:

First - gather documentation from pulmonologist.

Second - start medical process online

Third - medical exam with AME

Fourth - submit paperwork to OKC

Then, wait...

Anything else that I should know to improve my chances of success on the first attempt?

Sorry about all the questions for my first post here, but I'm sure that I'll have more before I'm done.

Thanks in advance!
The process is not quite in the correct order.
(1)Obtain initial sleep study.
(2)Visit sleep doc, get letter: "well rested, compliant with therapy, no apparent increase in tendancy to fall asleep, no gross right heart failure".
(3) CPAP vendor if you must- get the compliance chip printout report. if you don't have one, when you are with the doc, get him to write, uses machine >75% of nights > 6 hours (they accept 4 as the respironics chip only recored <4, 4-8, >8). Then get a machine that will record.
(4)Fill out a medxpress. Have the AME submit and obtain approval on the strength of your Medxpress.
(5)Go to AME office and walk out PIC.

If you can't find an AME that will do 4 & 5, you have the wrong AME. The legendary AME in ATL has always been Stacy Vereen but I gather he isn't taking any new ones. EAA's got a guy, Steve Leonard, about 40 NE of ATL who is good.

Not to hold out, but you can process them through me for about $150, arrive on airtran at BMI, drive 48 miles and I'll do the whole thing. COMPLETE SET OF DOCUMENTS to ISSUANCE: 1 week. The order, if you have an old certificate, is to get the new documents on file and get an AME to discuss them with the examiner, and get authority to ISSUE IN THE OFFICE.

My plane is in the hangar at the top of that ramp...

Not to hold out, but you can process them through me for about $150, arrive on airtran at BMI, drive 48 miles and I'll do the whole thing. COMPLETE SET OF DOCUMENTS to ISSUANCE: 1 week. The order, if you have an old certificate, is to get the new documents on file and get an AME to discuss them with the examiner, and get authority to ISSUE IN THE OFFICE.

Thank you Bruce!

Replied by email...

I'm looking for a good EAA Chapter. Unfortunately, I'm on the SW side of ATL near Peachtree City. Not real convenient to LZU - not a big problem, but Friday night's usually belong to the lovely wife. Our work week can get pretty crazy and Friday night is "our time".

I was very active in Ch. 309 in Charlotte - President, Newsletter Editor, etc., but never managed to "get connected" down here. Made an attempt with one chapter(shall remain nameless), but felt like I was on outside looking in. I just recently re-upped with EAA for the first time in years, so I'll be getting serious about a local chapter now. Without a local chapter, EAA membership is just a pretty magazine, IMO.

Thanks for the invitation. Tomorrow's not do-able, but I'll be by to see you guys soon.
Well, I don't know what you have for chapters down there, and this is quite a drive, but we do have an active chapter. Our schedule looks like this:
1st Saturday of the month - Pancake breakfast 8-10, program at 10.
2nd Friday evening - Chapter meeting, followed by a program.
3rd Saturday - Young Eagles, starting at 9.

If it's not too far a drive for you, we'd be glad to have you. Last I heard, our membership for this year is around 160 or 170. And last month we had our inaugural Aviation Summer Camp for kids (IIRC it was the 13-17 age group, but don't remember for sure).

Good luck with finding the chapter that best fits you! :)

Thank you Bruce!

Replied by email...

If you would like, I may have some non-rev tickets/buddy passes on Delta (since you live in ATL) left on Delta...quick flight to Peoria (and usually fairly empty).

Saw Dr. Bruce earlier this year...WORTH the trip and more! Amazing doctor, dedicated to medically certify honest pilots/applicants, and has GREAT taste in food (forget the name of that Italian restaurant).

Nevertheless, listen to Bruce...in fact, GO SEE HIM!

If you would like, I may have some non-rev tickets/buddy passes on Delta (since you live in ATL) left on Delta...quick flight to Peoria (and usually fairly empty).

Saw Dr. Bruce earlier this year...WORTH the trip and more! Amazing doctor, dedicated to medically certify honest pilots/applicants, and has GREAT taste in food (forget the name of that Italian restaurant).

Nevertheless, listen to Bruce...in fact, GO SEE HIM!

Thanks!! Check your IM...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back