Retro airline paint schemes

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
On our recent trip to Europe we happened to see two airliners painted in their companies' "retro" schemes -- a KLM B-737 in Stockholm, and an Aer Lingus A320 at Dublin:

SAM_0625.JPG

SAM_1505.JPG

US Airways has a couple of ERJs in Allegheny and Republic livery.

I wish United would do a red/orange/blue.

US Airways has a couple of ERJs in Allegheny and Republic livery.

US Airways also have some A320s in America West, PSA and Piedmont liveries.

AA has their old Astrojet livery on a 737, hopefully they leave a few planes in their 'classic' livery and don't switch everything to the 'new' American.

Alaska has their old livery on a plane as well.

American has a 737 retro jet. In this article there is a picture of three generations of AA livery.

When I was kid I'd lurk outside the AA hanger at Love Field, then and now I really liked the old school AA Eagle logo and the similar Pratt & Whitney logo.

Four UAL paint jobs at Denver last year.

Attachments

• 4UALpaintjobs.jpg
    4UALpaintjobs.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 38
I have to say I hated the new American paint job when I first saw the pictures, but have to admit it looks really good in person.

Of course im very very biased, but IMHO this is the best tail colours on the best aircraft :yes::yes:

Attachments

• af-website-10.jpg
    af-website-10.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 9
In North America...
  • American has a 737-800 in Astrojet colors.
  • United has an A320 in old United "Stars and Bars" and a 737-900ER in old Continental "Blue Skyway".
  • Delta had a 767-200 in a modified version of the livery worn on the DC-3s (added 75-year anniversary logos), and was later painted in the original delivery Widget for retirement, and is now in their museum at ATL.
  • US Airways has a handful of A319s in both old and new America West schemes, Allegheny, PSA, and Piedmont.
  • Alaska has a 737-800, Starliner 75.
  • Southwest has a few 737-700s flying around in a cleaned up version of the Mustard Rocket, removing the heart, black glare protector, and white window trim, and a slightly different shade of mustard yellow.
  • Republic still has one or two EMB-190s flying around in the old Midwest livery - titles and all. (so to add confusion, you could be on a Frontier flight operated by Republic on a plane painted in Midwest colors)
  • Air Canada has an A319 in Trans Canada scheme.

Garuda Indonesia, Finnair, Lufthansa, Aer Lingus, Aeroflot, Thai International, and many others also have retrojets. JAL had a 747 back in the day with a to-scale DC-4 painted on it, but I'll leave that to you if it counts or not. Some have been retired (ex. British Airways painted their last 757 in the old Negus livery for retirement), but most are still flying worldwide.

Back