retaking the written?

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
If you fail the written or just get a lower t
score than you hoped and take it over does the dpe see the first results?

I don't believe they see the results but they can see if you've taken the test more than once.

The DPE will know the status of your test and whether or not you have taken it more than once. A passing test score is a passing test score, so there's no need to think you have to come out with a 100%. In all honesty, the grade you get will have no bearing on your check ride outcome. The DPE is just likely to make sure you fully understand the areas that you missed on the test during the oral.

If you fail the written or just get a lower t
score than you hoped and take it over does the dpe see the first results?

If you fail a test, you must hand the results to the examiner when you go for the retest.

Bob Gardner

The DPE will know the status of your test and whether or not you have taken it more than once. A passing test score is a passing test score, so there's no need to think you have to come out with a 100%. In all honesty, the grade you get will have no bearing on your check ride outcome. The DPE is just likely to make sure you fully understand the areas that you missed on the test during the oral.

+1 especially if you took the written before the rewrite this summer.

I made a low 70 on my instrument test. Didn't noticed any difference during my checkride. Did the DPE weave in knowledge questions ? Sure Did I notice ? Not one bit.

So don't worry about a low passing score. Just study and go knock the oral out of the park.

Okay. Thanks for the replies.

I've been studying, but still have some work in a few areas that I'm struggling in.

I passed the written but scored lower than my sample Gleim tests. My CFI went over all the areas I missed on the test prior to my check ride. I do not recommend re-taking the test to get a higher score.

Seems risky to me to take a test just cause you didn't get as high of a score as you wanted. Passing is passing. And if you retake the test only the most recent one counts, doesn't matter what you scored on the first.

Seems risky to me to take a test just cause you didn't get as high of a score as you wanted. Passing is passing. And if you retake the test only the most recent one counts, doesn't matter what you scored on the first.
This.

Okay. Thanks for the replies.

I've been studying, but still have some work in a few areas that I'm struggling in.
Hopefully you were asking this as a 'what if' and still haven't failed the first attempt. Just keep taking the sample tests until you're consistently passing and you should do fine. A pass is a pass, no need to retake if you pass. I assume you have some sort of study material to help you. I used the $12 ASA test prep book, that was the only money I spent on written test prep and I found it to be very helpful to consolidate the material. It also comes with I think 5 practice tests online. Sporty's study buddy has some free ones as well. I scored in the 90's.

Last edited:
If you fail a test, you must hand the results to the examiner when you go for the retest.

Bob Gardner
To the examiner monitoring the retake of the written test. But not to the DPE for the practical flight test.

No one cares about the written, it's just a box to check off, just get it done and move on.

Hopefully you were asking this as a 'what if' and still haven't failed the first attempt. Just keep taking the sample tests until you're consistently passing and you should do fine. A pass is a pass, no need to retake if you pass. I assume you have some sort of study material to help you. I used the $12 ASA test prep book, that was the only money I spent on written test prep and I found it to be very helpful to consolidate the material. It also comes with I think 5 practice tests online. Sporty's study buddy has some free ones as well. I scored int he 90's.

I haven't taken the test yet. I have the gleim books and do the pass faa exams practice tests.

Back